1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coach Ime needs SOME help in elite offensive CREATIVITY

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Dec 28, 2023.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I put it more on the lack of offensive skill (specifically, perimeter offensive skill) than I put it on Udoka. If guys aren't making open shots, I don't know what Udoka can do about that. It feels like we lose the 3 point battle every game and I don't see how that changes this year.

2. kpdark

kpdark Member

what if that so called 'PG vet' is recruiting you to join lbj clutch- and you denied---- thus he aint givin you the ball in actual games-- and the coach realizes that he cant do anything....

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Can someone translate this?

Y2JT and cml750 like this.
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Rockets just don't have the talent to win shootouts, they are getting as much as they can out of this group which is basically Sengun and a few guys who should be 4th/5th options right now. You can only smoke and mirror so much, in the end you need talented scorers.

If the Rockets defense doesn't keep the tempo and opposing offense under control we're likely to lose.

We are 13-0 when we hold the opponent under 105
    We are 2-14 when the opponent has over 105

5. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Very doubtful lol

glimmertwins likes this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

There is no reason we cant have a balance of SenHub post game PLUS sprint outs in specific situations where Sengun can rest and wait for the action to come back on defense.. 2nd unit should be a 4x100 type of offense - actually anytime Sengun is off the court we should play uptempo. Playing Sengun Style basketball is only advantageous for Sengun without the requisite defenders to hide him on defense and the outside shooting to take advantage of the gravity he provides.

Dobbizzle and conquistador#11 like this.
  7. Newlin

Newlin Member

I have no problems with the coach or the offense. It’s vastly improved over past years. We just need players that can make shots. The offense looks good with Fred on the floor. Not sure about Amen being able to run the offense in the near future.

harold bingo likes this.
  8. MystikArkitect

Pacers, Hawks and Suns shot 42%, 44%, and 42% from 3 respectively. Cavs shot 39%. Bucks shot 36%.

Let's look at our last 6 wins. Pels (25%), Mavs (17%), Grizz (27%), Grizz (26%), Spurs (12%), Nuggets (35%).

Basically if a team shoots 40% or more from beyond the arc it's an auto loss for us. We have lost to teams that are really good from 3 or have really good 3 point shooters. Alpy has been good but trading his buckets for 3s is a losing strategy.

glimmertwins likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Playoffs are going to be the lithmus test, the grand committee of what is going to come in the years ahead.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I thought they would cave because there was no way you could hold opponents to under 105 in 80 games....

Are we talking about human players or Hercules....

11. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. The team has lost some of that defensive identity they started the season with. The offensive talent just isn't there so they must play good defense to have any shot at winning the game.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You can't scheme the ball into the hole.

You need players to put it thru the hoop and this team lacks guys that can consistently do that.

I said during the offseason to expect the team to struggle offensively with the lack of shooters and the defense to carry them, just didn't expect the defense to be as good as it has been.

Consistent scoring from the two spot is required with the way this roster is built.

13. ExTexanNowEastCoast

This times 100.

I must say, at the pace he is going, Coach Ime is turning into another JVG and Tom Thibodaux. That is not a good thing. I expect that we will sign and trade for Al Horford next; heck, Thibs just signed friggin Taj Gibson!!

Why that man continues to get coaching jobs is beyond me.

Stephen_A likes this.
  14. ExTexanNowEastCoast

No, but you can implement an offensive system that is not just pass to Alpe and pray, or have Dillon and FVV take ill advised threes. That is not championship ball.

No reason with our talent that we can't play like Denver, GS, or even Indiana. Instead, we play like a team at the Y. My U12 team has better a better offensive system than the Rockets.

Stone should make him bring in Gentry; he may not be a great HC, but he is a great offensive assistant. He would do wonders with Alpe, Smith, Green and Thompson/Whitmore.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

PNR works just need better personnel. FVV isn’t an efficient paint guy even less so than Jalen in the paint. As I said it appears to me FVV is a temp solution and they’re looking at Amen as the future of the Rockets at point. I believe FVV was brought here to establish a tough, professional, and defensive oriented culture. He also brings leadership and guidance as a vet and former champion. His contract has a 3rd year club option. Rockets may be hoping Amen develops at that point. This season is just a start and foundation to building a winning culture and team and I’m excited and curious to see what this team looks like 1-2 years from now.

Y2JT likes this.
  16. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I'm happy with Ime thus far except when he has Tate, Tari, and Amen all out there at the same time - it's like gifting a 10 point lead to the opponent.

17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Udoka pounded Sengun PNR and low/mid post into the team’s consciousness first 30 games. Interesting what he ran last night against the Suns letting Jalen freelance more coming off dribble handoffs on perimeter wing and elbow from Sengun etc. especially in the first Quarter. I think he is looking to see if he can strike a balance between Sengun PNR or posts with other scoring support especially Jalen. We also saw Cam mixed in. This may be the experiment stage for next few games.

18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

This is ridiculous. The offense is generating tons of open looks. We need a roster adjustment or two to provide consistent shooters. FVV, Holiday, and Brooks were all shooting better than normal earlier in the year. They are reverting to their means. Apache Warrior was correct that we didn’t have the 3 pt shooters to be sure playoff contenders. Ime’s defensive improvement and FVV and Brooks playing better than expected vaulted us to a 500 team much faster than anyone would have logically predicted. We can still be a playoff contender with defense, and, at least one consistent outside threat on both the starting unit and bench unit. It is up to Stone now.

19. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Seems a waste to have an athletic freak like Amen and have him run this old man style of basketball where the PG meanders slowly back and forth between screens though, no? You can play a pick and roll game without playing at snail's pace. Especially when you've got players like Jalen and Amen in the backcourt. A young D. Rose and Westbrook played tons of PnR, but it wasn't so slow that we need to run a pick on ether side and move back and forth between them FVV style and taking away all of the things that gave them an advantage in the first place...

Stephen_A likes this.
  20. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I don't think this is the final form of offense, defense, or transition. It's more like a partial foundation is being laid. Rightfully so, I think, Ime is establishing the the identity (something we never came close to having under Sialas) of this team as tough and defense first. I expect him to tweak the offense as we go throughout the season and the defense becomes more reliable. You can only teach/implement so much, so fast. It's frustrating though, because we can see the potential--but you have to master the basics first. And, you have to work with what you have, not what you want.

It took the Rockets years to get the right pieces, the right coach, and the right system to maximize a Dream-centric offense, defense, and transition. It took the Warriors several years to be able to run their championship systems. This team has had maybe 3 months and looking at the record and strength of schedule, we're a bit ahead of the curve. Patience.