1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Nov 17, 2023.

1. sydmill

sydmill Member

Love Sweat and Murphy to surround WAJ with help but think they're value is 2nd and third and not first and second.

red5rocket likes this.
  2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I agree that we need an explosive playmaker at WR. Collins and Dell are nice pieces but.... can they defeat coverage against playoff caliber teams, when it counts? The top teams have explosive playmakers on offense. Tyreek Hill, AJ Brown, Justin Jefferson, Ceedee Lamb... we don't have anyone near that level... and in today's NFL, a high end WR1 is a super important piece to creating a consistently great offense. We don't that yet -- but we have shown some nice flashes.

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Pretty good! Out of curiosity and if you still remember were Newton, Jenkins and Taylor III gone when we selected? I like Sweat a little, but think he may just be an old school NT type and I'd really like the athleticism of some of the other DTs in the draft for DeMecos 4-3. Allen is one of the best RB in the draft IMO but I do wonder how he will mesh with a zone blocking scheme. Ive started to lean Corum or TreVeyon Henderson if available. I think you did a really nice job checking most of boxes.

4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Here’s a guy that might be there end of 1st rd. Explosive and a game changer

5. astros123

astros123 Member

Am I the only one here who would rather us focus on our Oline and our secondary? I dont see how WR is a more important need than our oline. The jags were in CJs face every play and our secondary gets torched by elite WRs all the time. Pitre needs some real competition

deb4rockets likes this.
  6. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

O line, D line, and secondary.

deb4rockets likes this.
  7. astros123

astros123 Member

I agree 1000000% which is why i dont get the obsession with spending a top pick on a WR? Thats a dumb strategy. CJ is an elite qb and he can make an average WR look elite. What he needs is time in the pocket. Whats the point of drafting a top WR when our oline cant give him time to throw?

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

How’s the cb crop? OL is most important to me. Howard can’t seem to stay on the field. We also need linebackers, Schultz, and WR depth.

9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[QUOTE="J_Hunter_1977, post: 14991986, member: 61731"]O line, D line, and secondary.[/QUOTE]
    This!
    We need to strengthen our biggest weaknesses.

A top pick on a WR isn't going to keep our offensive line from folding like marshmallows nor give us a better defense that even lets 2nd string quarterbacks throw 300 yard games with ease. We need to pressure those quarterbacks in our division, and our pass rush isn't good.

J_Hunter_1977 and astros123 like this.
  10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

WR depth is good, but I'd rather fill it with a FA and use the draft for D. The unlikely choice for me would be Mike Evans to compliment Niko and Tank. The reason is that we have the QB who can get the ball to them and they run good routes..

WR1 Evans
    WR2 Niko
    SR Tank
    TE Shultz
    Package Receiver Brown/Woods/Jordan

I really want Greenard back for the second splash FA signing.

11. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We have like 4-5 OL out for season … and 3-4 are under contract

red5rocket and sydmill like this.
  12. astros123

astros123 Member

Im not high on kenyon at all.

13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

At one point, we had 17 OL under contract. We may have more now

raining threes and gfab-babyboi like this.
  14. raining threes

I think if healthy the OL will be fine and I think Kenyon will be back next yr healthy. Let me ask you another question, the starting OL is

Tunsil/mason/Howard

2 of these 3 guys will be playing LG/OC. Scruggs/Patterson/Green. So say the ol looks like this, who do you replace?

Tunsil/Scuggs/Patterson/Mason/Howard

With Green/Green and Fant or Jones as backups.

You ask why would you pick a WR over an OL? Burrow got Chase instead of Sewell. Made a SB.

The OL just needs to stay healthy. BTW, how did you feel about the Stingley pick until recently?

#174 raining threes, Dec 26, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
  15. Summer Song Giver

Newton was certainly gone, he's the only guy where I forgo picking Sweat if I go Dline first. Doubling up has been a recent trend for me as I do think coming away with 2 quality guys is nice and fills a need, and it's tough past round 3 to get that second guy. Sweat and Murphy gives you run stopping and inside pass rush.

It was Braelon or Shipley at rb and then it really dries up, Corum and Henderson were gone, Bucky Irving may have been there but I don't see him as a bell cow.

I've developed a bit of a man crush on Payton Wilson and Tre Harris, if Wilson can stay healthy you're talking about a 1st rd guy at the end of 4, and Tre Harris I just don't see why he isn't top 15 (and I think the top 10 are all first rd talents) I put Tre Harris right there with Brian Thomas and Jermaine Burton.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  16. sydmill

sydmill Member

I think Harris is staying in school. Brian Thomas is my guy with the Cleveland pick. I think he has AJ Green type potential.

raining threes likes this.
  17. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

We're better, but we need talent in pretty much all areas. With an elite young QB, protecting him and giving him weapons has to be a priority. We're not that far off, if we can keep OL healthy and adding another versatile IOL and Swing OT is probably fine. I had hope for Noah Brown, but he's too inconsistent, maybe Hutchinson can develop. A guy like Mike Evans would really make this group excellent. An area we need help is RB, Motor should be brought back and DP should likely be traded to a team that fits his talents better, but we need 1-2 more RBs (would love a really good young one).

On defense, need to decide if Greenard will stay healthy and can replicate this season--if so, sign him. If not, look at one of the other stud pass rushers on the market and sign one and then draft one later in the draft to rotate. DT has been a mixed bag this year, they look great one week and not so great the next. Adding a talented DT or 2 should be a priority. Keeping Cashman should be a priority, he has blossomed this year, but adding another LB that can cover is needed. Finally, I had thought we were good at safety, but that bubble has burst and we need to spend some capital there and at CB as well.

We've had a crazy number of injuries and I hope the staff looks at our off-season training regime and medical staff. Any improvements there would be helpful.

raining threes, sydmill and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I think that Greenard situation might get ugly. I can see the Texans tagging him and he misses all of training camp.

19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Jaire Alexander might become available

20. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

that dude is a f*cking moron.