1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Next step] Good days ahead and we need that 3rd player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daywalker02, Dec 23, 2023.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I for one aint trading Bari or Alpi for nobody!

2. raining threes

I disagree with this.

If you think getting Simon will require all of that then we cant have a discussion.

If you think Jalen is only worth a 3nd rd pick then we will have to agree to disagree. If you dont think a team like the Nuggets/Suns/Clippers etc... wouldn't give up a 1st and use Jalen as an instant offense 6th man type guy then we've got totally different visions of Jalen and the NBA in general. Green may or may not become a star level player, but as a scorer off of the bench he's got alot of value.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Why can't we have a discussion? Because you don't know anything about Anfernee Simons?

If Jalen had "a lot of value", the Rockets won't trade him unless he acts up. The only "instant" anything he is right now is a bricked shot or a turnover.

Udoka will give him every chance to work things out this season and he'll likely return next season (on a short leash).

Arnel likes this.
  4. raining threes

Because you think Jalen couldn't even net a 1st rd pick.

I'm familiar with Simons, a very good young player. Never going to be more than a 2nd or 3rd guy on a championship team.

5. fattz

fattz Member

I am going to disagree a little. Human nature is to get something for nothing. There are teams that would love to have Green with the thought they will bring out the best in him. Their team environment is what he lacks. Green trade value is low but he still has some. 2024 FRP Brooklyn top 7 protected = Green.

6. MystikArkitect

He won't even be that.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You don't seem to realize being the "2nd or 3rd guy on a championship team" is very high praise. The only thing left is being the best player.

On the other hand, you admitted Jalen probably isn't good enough to even be a starter on a playoff team.

LOL, you admit the two players are a galaxy apart but don't even seem to realize it. There is a term for this.

Richie_Rich and Arnel like this.
  8. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

The FVV signing was so underrated, mainly because of who is agent is (Rich Paul). The Knicks are targeting Dejaunte Murray but Rich Paul (Murray's agent) doesn't want to work with the Knicks. That's how powerful these agents are.

https://www.sny.tv/articles/dejounte-murray-trade-knicks-hawks-klutch-rich-paul-leon-rose

I'm sure FVV's representatives are extremely happy with his contract and the way things are going here. It's just a matter of time before a disgruntled star forces their way to Houston.

The best scenario is for the current team to continue to get better and try to upgrade by giving up the least amount of assets as possible.

Keep an eye on Klay Thompson. Still hasn't signed an extension and the Warriors most likely aren't making the playoffs this season. He'd be a perfect fit for the Rockets, although he is 33. Eric Gordon has a player option for next season. Paul George, Leonard and Harden all have player options. Buddy Hield will be unrestricted.

Donovan Mitchell would be a great fit but it will take a lot to get him here unless he requests a trade and says Houston is his preferred destination. Just keep in mind though his agent is with CAA Sports, the agency Rich Paul doesn't get along with. Rich took a lot of their clients with him when he left CAA.

It may be ideal to pay attention to other players signed by Klutch Sports; Zach LaVine, Dejounte Murray, Lebron James (player option for next season), and KCP (unrestricted next season). But regardless, with hiring of Udoka, and the emergence of Sengun and Jabari, the Rockets have set themselves up to be contenders for years to come (Amen and Cam are on deck). I believe any star would love to play for this team.

#68 BasketballMind, Dec 25, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
    Shark44 and Arnel like this.
  9. Arnel

Arnel Member

:D The rockets trade for Drexler was literally a defending championship team with a top 10 player of all time in his prime. Not a good example. And even with that, they didn’t trade away some lottery younsters for him at all. Look it up.

The trade for Paul was very similar. They gave away subpar assets basically, Paul strong armed the clippers for that trade. And Rockets were already an every year playoff team at that point. Once again, not a great example.

Another thing that stands out there in addition to rockets not giving away top lottery assets in addition to multiple first rounders (;)), is that both Paul and Drexler clearly help out there teams in winning games with their impact.

I can’t say the same for some of the names being thrown around in this discussion (Zach Lavine, Donovan Mitchell), I mean really? Lol. We are actually winning games and on pace to make the playoffs as is, why in the world would I trade away a bunch of our assets for Zach Lavine or Donovan Mitchell to take 25 shots a game and ruin all our chemistry. I’ll pass.

Once again, if a no brainer trade is on the table, sure I’ll listen. But I don’t think they’re looking to send away their recent first rounders for some “mid” low impact star when we are not even sure yet what we have with some of our guys, especially guys like Amen, Cam, or Tari, any of which could turn into the guy we need anyway.

10. Summer Song Giver

Patience. Only thing I'm looking to add is a legit defensive big that can run the pick and roll on offense and protect the rim on D. Think Capela like, would be willing to offer expirings and picks. Otherwise stay the course and use the draft to bring that guy in.

We should be following the Astros path, I do believe the majority of talent acquisition is complete now we just wait for it to gel and make minor tweaks as needed.

11. raining threes

12. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

1st:Sengun
    2nd:Tari
    Joint 3rds: JGreen&Bari
    5th: '23 pick

6: The other '23 pick
    7: Adem Bona of UCLA ( back-up PF) or Dario Saric
    8. A.Balcerowski (back-up C)

Transition period players: FVV,Brooks, Uncle Jeff, Aaron, Tate

Players to be lured: Franz Wagner, Paul George, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Marcus Smart, Jalen Brunson