1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Player Assessment] Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dankstronaut, Mar 10, 2023.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I've been largely in the middle of the Sengun player discourse around here, no strong feeling either way and see why somebody could love him or be hung up on his possible long term shortcomings.

Anybody that is seriously trying argue that Sengun hasn't been our best player (or at absolute worst co best player with FVV) you are decidedly in the hater group and not really being objective.

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

Yeap, bunch of clown opinions indeed, lol.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Indeed.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yeah, this didn't age well. Only 8 months old.

All that effort...

clutchdabear and clos4life like this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You knew it. You were absolutely right.

Some of us knew.

clos4life likes this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Reminder: You nailed it.

This thread was truly derpy.

But we have an idea about who liked it.

only three points off

only a matter of time

Yep.

clos4life and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. clos4life

clos4life Member

I'll never forget all the hate our 20 year old center received by so-called Rockets fans for the first two years of playing under the worst coach in Rockets history.

Many of the same clowns are still acting like complete asses and doubling down just because they were historically wrong about Alpi, blaming Rockets fans who saw it coming for being insufferable about it, when they in fact are the ones starting dumb threads about it and going out of their way to nitpick every growing pain.

Nah cuz,you were wrong and are doubling down on it, we're here to remind you of how wrong you are and like a petulant child you lash out at those who were riding the bandwagon from day one. You clowns know who you are, take your crow and eat it like a man.

Merry Christmas.

#327 clos4life, Dec 25, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2023
  8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Some were man enough to have corrected their stance. Like @maj21. I respect that.

Some haven't come around yet.

And some have been doubling down recently.

The longer they continue like that, the worse they will look.

maj21, cmoak1982 and clos4life like this.
  9. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Oh? Part of the fun of writing these were to find out how opinions change, how players and rosters evolved etc. I am quite happy to face these threads again, if you thought otherwise. It was pretty much the point of writing them.

8 months ago he had yet to make a meaningful development on defense, nor taken a significant step forward on offense. The counting stats remain on the defensive side but he's in position and rebounding more, not giving up stupid fouls, and anchoring a better unit. Offensively he's held his efficiency for the most part but on much higher usage. He is facilitating more and he's almost always taking the three when they leave him to it.

What I would write about Sengun now versus 8 months ago is pretty different. I still wouldn't call him Jokic but he's a borderline All-star. Even the ardent Sengun supporter you are, would you have possibly guessed this type of improvement on defense was coming in such a short time? Or that Ime would play him 30+mpg without the step up? I think the commentary was mostly letting him hub the offense instead of Porter, even if you believed he could do it he still made a significant step up there too. I'd say the biggest issue I have with the assessment now is that he's clearly made himself part of the core. I'm not sure there is a deal good enough that the Rockets would consider trading him now.

Still room to grow, the Hawks game and Pelicans game were two vastly different shows. He's got to find the handle on some consistency, much like any other young player. What will we say next season?

He's so much better this season than last. I hope it continues, in case I needed to say it.

10. clos4life

clos4life Member

I don't agree with your previous assessment and agree with only some of your modified statement but you showing you are willing to recognize the improvements Alpi has made is what separates you from the clowns.

That being said, my goodness, what an awful player assessment. Truly missed the mark.

#330 clos4life, Dec 25, 2023
  11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He could have done all that last year, if the coach had been Ime and the PG FVV instead of KPJ.

Many of us could see it from day one.

Some could not.

12. mirdirir

mirdirir Member

Haters labeled everyone who speaks truth as sof and God, it feels so great knowing we stood our ground against idiocracy. I just wanna reply every hater post and say ''whats up with that now you little c***''

Every doubter and hater has to eat crow now including clutch.

Rinaldi, clutchdabear and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

I mean, I was pretty complementary by purposefully putting him in a picture with the greatest Rocket of all time. I think I accurately described his post skill and passing, as well as deficiencies on defense and shooting. He's undeniably better this year, no? Where did I miss the mark so badly?
    Are you crediting Alpe's improvement to someone other than Alpe?

harold bingo and anthony59237 like this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Ime for just letting him play and not scapegoating him. Holding him accountable just like everyone else, but not unfairly singling him out, and not setting him (and the team) up to fail by playing a dumbass "system".

FVV for just playing with him like a good point guard would - in contrast to KPJ and Nix who were awful.

But Alpi could have done most of what he does now last year already. He was held back by piss poor coaches and terrible teammates, particularly KPJ and Nix.

One doesn't become the MVP in the third best league in the world at age 18 if one is as bad as Silas and his gang made him out to be (and whoever the internal source was that claimed he was "the league's worst pick and roll defender").

15. clos4life

clos4life Member

Honestly, there are plenty of things I disagreed with, starting with how things were judged like it wasn't coaching and an awful scheme that caused a lot of the problems. Truly, you did not even take into account the environment he was in. For example this statement: "Whether it's fouling too much, being out of position, not being able to step out to the perimeter, not a super shot-blocking threat nor charge taking threat... he just isn't good at defense" were clearly proven this season to be based on the crappiest coaching I've ever witnessed and a backcourt that just let players drive at will. Other statements showed a lack of faith in him such as being benched or traded if we got Wemby (they could have made it work), or how he was even in the same league as KPJ. Truly missed the mark on several predictions regarding the potential talent, defensive ability, claiming Sengun fans wanted only lesser players like Cam Whitmore over Henderson in order to prop up our player (ridiculous btw, every Sengun fan would love to have other great players on the team).

I mean, it was just a truly awful take on a player with great potential you basically ignored, claiming his game wouldn't work in the modern NBA and taking digs at his fans that saw how he was being hanged out to dry every game, while leaving just enough wiggle room to try and claim objectivity if he panned out. Good for you that you've seen the light and recognize he is much better than you expected him to ever be after seeing what a real NBA coach and real defensive scheme looks like. But that original assessment was astoundingly bad, and you claimed it with such confidence. A real subtle hit piece.

16. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Hm. Well, wasn't exactly going for hit piece by saying he needed to improve defensively and then acknowledging the improvement. I did take a swipe at Sengun fans but it's mostly because you lot don't consider that take as objectivity, meanwhile ignoring every positive comment I had along the way. I guess y'all can't help it though, it's gotta be outright worship and someone else's fault for the bad news, objectivity indeed.

Yes, I think Wemby would've been the pick and pretty much looked like Ime was trying to hire Lopez too. Those are especially NOT hot takes, right?

You think I'm mad that Sengun is playing better huh? lol... name on the front pal, not the back. Go ahead and put your name on a thread, do your best. Triple dog dare you!

Jesus I'm really gonna sound like I'm defending Silas here... does Ime not go directly to a microphone post-game and singles out players when they don't perform well? Most notably for Sengun, uh, his PNR defense on the Hawks?

Man I'm not putting it on players and coaches. I'm putting Alperen Sengun's improvement on Alperen Sengun. Honestly I can't believe you're not.

harold bingo likes this.
  17. clos4life

clos4life Member

Yeah, blame it all on the Sengun fans, like I haven't heard that one before.
    [​IMG]

Here, how about this? As a Houston Rockets fan first and foremost, I actually cheer and support our players. Shocker, right? Some other so-called fans like yourself instead choose to write subtle hit pieces because you don't like his fans. Yeah, great fandom there buddy. :rolleyes:

Oh, you think reading the tea leaves on potential free agency and hoping to draft Wemby meant trading or benching Alpi? That just shows you didn't believe in his talent or actually bought into Sil@ss BS, which shows a lack of ability to see the potential in our players. Clearly, you see it now as you have stated, but you didn't have the foresight to see the potential of it happening, or the belief. With such a lack of ability you dare to write player assessments? Way to look inept there buddy.

And as far as Ime, what a f'ing great hire. Of course a large part of Alpi's development is based upon coaching and scheme. Sure, the player has to work of course, but with bad coaching and team scheme we all saw what it was like the last 3 years. I absolutely love how Ime calls out ALL our players, not just some and making excuses for others like Sil@ss. You dogging it you get benched. Love it. And guess what? After the Hawks Alpi responded by having the 2 best games of his career against the Mavs and the Pels. Look up those stats and watch how the team ran through Alpi.

Also, Triple dog dare? What are you, a 5 year old? LOL.

#337 clos4life, Dec 25, 2023
    Easy, clutchdabear and AroundTheWorld like this.
  18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Sengun fans going manic after his 37 point performance I see! Victory laps! Victory essays! Congratulations team Sengun. It really was a masterful game.

Fortunately the Alperen Sengun is a man of humility and charisma and not a persecution complex.

Dankstronaut and anthony59237 like this.
  19. cumutk

cumutk Member

Sengun is a generational talented center, after 90's and Hakeem, the best post player the NBA history has ever seen.
    After Sengun, the post game will become once again a real threat, a real offensive weapon.
    l am 50 years old and watching basketball for about 38 years, watched so many matches and played basketball professionally in Europe.
    My ranking 2023 for centers-Top 4
    1.Jokic
    2.Embiid
    3.Alperen
    4.Sabonis
    If he adds 3 pt shot consistently, second best after Jokic..
    I dont know if any of the clowns also existing here understand his value or the gem Rockets has.

Rockets has future's best center, my friends.
    A multi dimensional offensive juggernaut...

cryout75 likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You forgot Yao, Scola and Dmo while the latter was not a star, their post game were really beautiful.

The Rockets never really lacked post game now that I think of it, other teams did.

Alperen just added much more to his post game, mainly creativity and the element of great passing.

napalm06 likes this.