1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Malick News

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by o3gs, Aug 29, 2004.

1. o3gs

o3gs Member

Well folks, this is going to make some of you happy and others not too happy.......

Malick will not be suiting up the Rockets this coming season. He will return to Germany tomorrow and begin preparing for the German season. The Rockets have decided he needs another year of development before bringing him over and suiting him up for NBA play. Obviously we are a bit disappointed, but Malick understands the decision and also understands that he is only 20-years-old and has plenty of time to develop and earn a chance to play in the NBA.

I will keep you all posted as to Malick's progress throughout the 2004-05 season as best I can. (My schedule gets a tad busy when basketball season starts.) Malick looks forward to the day he can show you all what the Bad-man brings to the hardwood.

2. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

I wonder if he is gonna get more minutes in Germany this year...

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That's likely since the guy he was backing up last season will play in the NBA this year.

4. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

o3gs-

could you give us insight on Malick's work habits. I know you have a personal relationship after having been a one time team-mate (?).....any examples or anecdotes you could share?

5. drpepper

drpepper Member

......I can't hardly wait......................

6. MONON

MONON Member

He'll definately get more minutes playing in Germany that the NBA! :D

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Well, they did say that Malick would develop in the Euro-League for atleast 2-3 seasons, so I can't say I'm not suprised.

Hopefully, he will get much more minutes this year and develop more.

8. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Do we pay him even though we have the rights to him?

9. Lionheart

Lionheart Member

WHo are you exactly? An insider or something?

OBTW, I not doubting your info. Just curious to as you really are. Are you Batman?

10. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Nope. Unsigned draft picks aren't paid no matter how long you have their rights. I'm sure the Organization is paying some of his expenses, i.e. Plane tickets and room and board if they want to bring him to Houston.

11. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

He was partying at Copa on Saturday night.

I was amazed at how many people actually knew who he was...

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I wish Malick good luck. If he can put together the lessons he has learned with the Rockets in Germany he might make it to the NBA someday.

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Welcome to Houston Deke.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't think Malick's status has anything to do with Deke joining us. The young guy is not ready for the NBA.
    Getting Deke on the Rockets is not an easy job. Talks have been going on with Chicago but nothing is certain.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Another year of seasoning is probably for the best. He wouldnt get ANY time on this team this year. True he would get some valuable practice time with our team but he probably needs GAME time to get his skills improved.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks for all the updates o3gs.

It sounds like Rox are believers that MB will be a bad dude for them down the road. Therefore, I believe.

17. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Thanks for all the updates and tell him we wish him lots of luck.

18. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Thank you for the info, o3gs.

Did you get a sense of what the Rockets want Malick to develop/work on? In what areas did you get a sense that the Rockets want Malick to improve?

19. o3gs

o3gs Member

I sent your messages along to Malick. He truly looks forward to someday suiting up for the Rockets.

The number one priority for Malick this season is to bulk up. Currently he weighs-in around 235. Last summer at his peak (while training in Cleveland) he hit around 245. That is about where the Rockets would like him to be next summer. The biggest problem is that the weight training set-up is not nearly as intense or strict in Germany as it was in Cleveland as Malick prepared for the draft. However, he understands that bulking up is important, so I would expect him to get it done.

Also, Malick has only been playing basketball for five years. So another year playing organized ball and seeing considerable minutes will also be very valuable.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

What about shooting? From the reports I have read and the bit I have seen, it looks like Malick has very limited range...and his shot repertoire also seems very limited.

I understand he must be aspiring to be a tenacious defender....but what good is it if he bulks up, but can't put the ball into the basket?

o3gs, are you German, by the way?