1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to start thinking about moving Jalen before the deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 2, 2023.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Lavine has the same **** Green has, bipolarness. Sometimes they want to be a dawg but mostly they like to remain a feline

2. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Agree there, Simons is no Dame
    But they struck silver (if not gold) with him. His development has been solid.

ac in austin likes this.
  3. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Both guys are averaging 20 per 36 in year 3
    Except Kevin Martin actually played in 4th quarters and had a TS of 62% in year 3
    Jalen is getting benched and has a TS of 52%

Kevin Martin wasn't flashy but I wouldn't even blink to take year 3 Martin over Jalen

4. Rokman

Rokman Member

If he gets moved it's because the coaches have seen enough. I'll tell you, after 2-1/4 years, I've seen enough. Dude should pray at the feet of Francis because he is a God next to him.

5. Rokman

Rokman Member

Just pathetic

6. raining threes

True, they used Alpi in that role tonight.

The 5 guys playing at the end of the game tonight played very well as a unit defensively.

Bari/Jeff Green/Alpi/Brooks/FVV

You could go with this lineup and have Tari as the 6th man/ Use Holiday as the 1st guard off of the bench and sign a C/PF type guy. I would have Bari as the backup C and he would play the othe two forward positions about 10 mins a game each for a total of 30-32 mins. Tari would get the same amount of mins as Bari. I would figure out how to get Green 15-20 mins per game.

Holiday would get 10 of FVV mins and 10 of Brooks mins. Amen would get the other 10 mins. Green would still be on the roster, but he would be working with Sullivan for 4-5 hrs a day until he could get his shot figured out or moved at the deadline as part of a package deal that would include Green/Tate and Nets picks for a star level player,

BallaDoc and Easy like this.
  7. invocux

invocux Member

He's NOT better than Kevin Martin

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not sure why people are comparing him to Kevin Martin other than the fact that both are skinny.

Martin was effective because he had a crafty game that took heavy advantage of the rules on defense against shooters. He was a master at getting to the foul line. However when they started changing the rules he became pretty irrelevant pretty fast. He also mostly got his points in early in the first half and would rarely be an option late in games. That time of the game the Rockets had to go to Scola quite a bit if you recall.

Jalen reminds me most of all of Leandro Barbosa and I don’t mean that as a negative. It’s just not a go to superstar talent set. In the right style of play though I think he is a solid guard in the rotation who can give you bursts of scoring especially in the open court, but not a go to iso option. Maybe he develops more in the pick and roll as a creator and scorer later on but I just don’t see it honestly.

I still do not think the rockets need to trade him asap for peanuts, but I do continue to believe if the deal is there absolutely you move him and don’t think twice.

DaDakota, Arnel and OremLK like this.
  9. Radricky

Radricky Member

Jalen green has fallen victim to my curse of whoever I buy any merch from leaves the team.
    He’s joining an esteemed list that goes back to Stevie franchise and also includes Lin, dekker, parsons, harden etc.
    it has been written….
    So let it be done….

maypk, clutchdabear and BigShasta like this.
  10. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

I get the Leandro comparison in regards to speed. But green doesn’t appear to have his layup package at the rim. This is anecdotally speaking. I haven’t looked at the numbers to back that statement up

dobro1229 likes this.
  11. Arnel

Arnel Member

Barbosa was a better shooter if my memory serves me. Also agree I would not trade Green now unless you really are getting a nice deal.

We have him under contract until 2025 and he’s restricted then also. As long as he does what the coaches tell him and is not a distraction you want to keep him and give Ime and this staff a chance to see if they can further develop him.

At worst, he can be that spark plug off the bench like Barbosa was for those suns since we do have tons of talent that could develop nicely by then.

Easy likes this.
  12. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Considering his shooting proficiency has dropped every year the past 3 seasons I'm skeptical of him becoming some great shooter. Right now I'd rather see him as a spark off the bench than the guy taking hundreds of shots.

jim1961 likes this.
  13. VoR

VoR Member

Jalen Green would be a 20 and 6 SG on another team that focused on him in the offense more. He's not a problem this year. He's doing what the coaching staff is asking from him and adjusting to a new role. I guarantee every team in the NBA would listen to trade offers on him. His upside is huge.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

IMO he was always going to be more of a Gerald Green, Corey Brewer, Lou Williams type. If he improves enough, I could still see him being close to as good as those guys off the bench.

deb4rockets likes this.
  15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

These same teams that "would listen to trade offers on him" won't offer much because Jalen's trade value is at an all-time low.

It's in the Rockets best interest to give him the entire season to figure things out and bring him back next year. At worst, they are sacrificing a 2nd round pick by keeping him.

Easy likes this.
  16. cumutk

cumutk Member

Jalen Green is not a NBA ready player my friend, what are you talking about?
    He can not dribble, he can not make decisions, he does not know how to pass.
    You and some of fans reasoning for his performance in terms of system change is silly, good player is a good player.
    During whole 2 years, there is no one in this team as Sengun was scapegoated, humilitiated by this teams coach and this kid fought against all these and earned his minutes.
    l believe Jalen should stop acting as the primadonna of this team,work and earn his minutes.
    He has probably the lowest basketball iq of top draft prospects in NBA histeri.
    For trade, no team wants a player whose only one ability is raw athleticism and no fundamentals.
    I am so sorry, really sorry, because l want my #2 draft pick to be game changer, in a real system with real coach in Udoka, he can not play...

17. Rokman

Rokman Member

He doesn't have an upside. He's been declining year over year. He's only going to get worse. He sucks.

18. VoR

VoR Member

You clearly have no understanding of basketball.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is not a given because other teams would have no scruples using him as a 6h man and if he cannot shoot like a 6th man, then he is pretty much just being sorted out.

The problem is not him getting to his 21-25 ppg but how much minutes and touches are the teams allowing him.....I would not speculate because that is just one of those Fortune Wheels where he is being transferred to.

20. VoR

VoR Member

"Jalen Green would be a 20 and 6 SG on another team that focused on him in the offense more."

That's not a 6th man role. He would start for most teams .500 and under.