1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash 'em in, or let 'em ride?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Feb 10, 2023.

?

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash them in, or let 'em ride?

1. Cash 'em in

85 vote(s)
    34.7%
  2. Let 'em ride

160 vote(s)
    65.3%
  1. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

We have to cash them in my opinion. Sure we have some nice young talent but that’s what trades are for.

2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let it burn.

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They also don’t exactly have a ton of assets to be buyers — especially since we control their draft. Simmons is a giant problem on their roster and he’s done nothing to restore value. Their best assets is the fact they have a number of complementary pieces who they ideally would consolidate for a star. The problem is, most teams would want those guys to surround a star, not in place of.

Plowman likes this.
  4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

unfortunately they now play the pistons 2 games in a row.

saleem and Y2JT like this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Cash em in, we don't need more young players....we got enough, we need some vets NOW.

DD

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Until the Rockets decide some starter is worth replacing, there isnt any need to fill, backup C aside.
    If/when they do, THEN we can start targeting somebody.

Last year, something like 37 trades occurred and 31 happened within a week of the trade deadline.
    So if something were to happen, that is when its most likely to.

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This is pretty much where I'm at too ....

There's only really one guy they might think about replacing and they have his replacement on the roster - unless a real star becomes available.

As for the backup C spot, there's no real need to waste assets on a player who isn't likely to be around 2 or 3 years down the line when it really doesn't move the needle currently.

We're looking for internal improvement more than anything else this year and probably next.

I really expect Jabari to improve significantly in the next year or two.

Next year maybe you make these peripheral moves - not this year.

There's gonna be some good young big men available when this pick is on the clock - the other option is to try and push it down the road a year or two.

BaselineFade and Joe Joe like this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They pretty clearly need a starting caliber SG and honestly I don't think there's one on the roster at all unless you are wanting to play guys out of position. Brooks, Tari, and Cam are all more natural SF's and Holiday is more of a PG....but they'd probably be better playing out of position than what we've been going with. Either way, if the Rockets are serious about wanting to win, the best way they could improve their team is by picking up someone who is a starting quality SG. If there's one available, they should jump on it.

Y2JT likes this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

They have 10 FRPs.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Likely to be late firsts.

11. dmoneybangbang

"Cash 'em in" seems like going all in our Nets assets which I think would be a mistake... unless for the rare, young superstar. We still owe picks outright to OKC past this year so it'd be beneficial to keep some.

I feel like this year's pick is totally on the table though. We will need to interject future youth onto the team, but not necessarily this draft.

saleem likes this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Maybe. Though if they go for it now, they aren't going to have much left later. Also, Phoenix is looking really thin, with aging stars, and Booker and nothing in cupboard to replace.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Rockets need a Christmas miracle these next two games for the Nets.

saleem, Plowman and jim1961 like this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I disagree on Cam.

He reminds me a lot of Paul George .... and you can plug that guy in at SG or SF seamlessly and even as a PF on some matchups. I see Whitmore being very similar.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, but I'm not sure he's ready for a starting role on a team trying to win.... probably better than Jalen, but that says almost nothing.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Cam is a number 1 option, or a number 6 option, but as a focus on the court.

His confidence is going to make him the focus, he is that good and will get better, if he is a number 1 on the team he is a superstar, if he is a number 6, we still have a Lou Williams level 2nd unit guy.

Cam is going to be everything we hoped Jalen would be.

DD

17. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

Keep’em honestly I thought Nets hit a big one with Cam Thomas but if you look close enough he is more likely next Jordan Poole rather than next Devin Booker

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

True, but we have to wait until somebody shakes loose. I like Bridges on the Nets. There will be other suitors too. We need a high caliber vet who is an upcoming star. Stone mustn't throw them away.

#118 saleem, Dec 24, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2023
    BaselineFade likes this.
  19. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Forced to keep ‘em at this ok t because the starting lineup is set in stone for now unless you want to trade Jalen to try to improve the sg position but there’s no one out there right now to do that.

I highly assume were not benching sengun or Bari

Tilman won’t let you bench the salty he’s laying for in Dillon and Fred Van. He’ll let you trade them but I guarantee his cheap self be cool with 20 million or 40 Million coming off the bench. That’s why Stine made that statement about the deadline. He has no choice but to see how thing shake out to dictate his next move.

20. j@amc

j@amc Member

I'd listen to all the offers, but there's no desperation here. After all, we turned a late first-round pick into Cam Whitmore.

BaselineFade likes this.