1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Detroit Pistons

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by daywalker02, Oct 24, 2023.

1. i3artow i3aller

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Here's what giving $78 million to Monty Williams, a coach no other team wanted, has gotten the Pistons after 21 games:

A 2-19 record
    18 straight losses

This may end up being the worst coaching hire in NBA history because of how much they committed to him.

Unless his relationship with the players is already toxic, they'll probably improve and finish with ~15 wins. But the clownfish owner said their team "was on the cusp of greatness". Oh brother!

Pringles likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not question that but I think I remember it a tad differently.....
    Phoenix fired him and he thought about an extended break.....and then Detroit called very quick......he pushed the price up......

roslolian likes this.
  5. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

It's a month old, but still... cold-blooded. :D

6. cdastros

cdastros Member

What 5 players are protected on the Rockets?

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  7. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

"It's a trap", but...

Vleet, Tari, Bari, Brooks, Sengun.

studogg likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Basically you can disband or blow up the Pistons and start a new Franchise, they could draft players from other teams due to the Expansion Draft.

The Bad Boys Pistons is the highlight of the franchise for decades to come, might as well move the franchise somewhere else.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Sengun, Tari, Bari, Amen, and either Green or Cam.

FVV and Brooks are better players now than most on that list. A disaster draft or an expansion would be very harmful to the Rockets right now relative to most teams as the Rockets likely have to protect their young guys.

cdastros and BigShasta like this.
  11. CertifiedTroll

I have been pondering how I would fix the Pistons if I were the GM. They were in a similar spot as us the last two seasons.

If I were the GM, I would try to trade off Joe Harris to a contender. His shooting may still have small value on the market, and he contributes nothing to a 2 win team.

Then I would try to trade Wiseman and Bagley. Duren looks to be the better prospect, and this log jam of talent that needs to be developed is not a good thing imo. I would also try to find a veteran center to come play a backup role and potentially mentor Duren. Maybe Demarcus Cousins could fill this role. (I know that Boogie as a mentor sounds like an oxymoron, but I thought he played decent at the part on the Rockets).

Next, a decision needs to be made between Jaden Ivey and Killian Hayes. Killian probably needs to be the one to go due to his inefficiency and consistency issues. I think that he needs some time in the g-league and a shooting coach.

Easy likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It was the Infamous Big 6 so one odd man out and they probably get one of Dillon Brooks or FVV as well.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why not hope to pry Masai Ujiri away and go after someone like Chris Finch or Nick Nurse type first.

Fire Assistant Silas next.

Get people that actually want to be a Piston....and love Motown.

Get someone like Eminem to be watching.....he grew up near Detroit. (Cultural ambassador similar to Drake or Spike Lee in NY- Jake Nicholson as Laker)

Go the Toronto/Minnesota route without the Gobert fiasco....then you install good Defense ID.

#53 daywalker02, Dec 21, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
  14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Even though their roster is flawed, the #1 "fix" for the Pistons is having a new head coach next season. If they skip that part, everything else they do is a waste of time.

Obviously Troy Weaver will be fired the day after their final game, if not sooner.

15. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

All this losing and Silas is involved AGAIN. Nearly everything he touches turns into a dumpster fire. That man is a curse on NBA franchises.

Entropy, Roomba and beardsanity713 like this.
  16. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I'll try to summarize the Pistons season in one word

"oof"

roslolian likes this.
  17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Man i always thought of Masai as up there among the best in the nba but the last few years nobody has been more incompetent then him (unless you count Pop i guess)

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They all make mistakes but yeah I agree, finding the right personnel is the hardest.

But going for mediocre personnel like what the Pistons did, was not the solution either.

You don't get chances to start over like the Lakers do every year.

Then thereafter I would do the cleaning up house with certain players.

#58 daywalker02, Dec 21, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
  19. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I mean what he’s done the last few years in Toronto is just embarrassing. The complete lack of a plan, the asinine trade for Jacob, not trading FVV. That level of incompetence is honestly really rarely seen.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

And people were hating on Stone look at Masai, Pop, Weaver in recent years.