1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

2. awc713

awc713 Member

Haven’t seen it mentioned…the Leah Vonn story is pretty sad.

She said some stupid comments on X about Altuve in October, Chron hired her recently to cover the Astros…and AstrosX basically drove her into a meltdown. Culminated last night with her deleting her X account and contemplating suicide.

Don’t get me wrong—her Altuve slander was stupid and unprofessional, I’m guessing she was drunk when she tweeted it…but Astros fans crossed the line. Just a sad story all around with no winners where everyone (Chron, Astros fans, Vonn) is a loser.

texans1095 likes this.
  3. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Somehow, Dusty [and AJ] found a way.

Stephen66 likes this.
  4. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

There is an entire thread about it already.

She is playing victim and is obviously weak minded. WTF was she expecting?

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Is it me or are Twitter links busted now? If you're going to post a tweet that references an article, seems the best thing to do these days is just link to the article.

6. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

Anyone that says they contemplated suicide is over dramatic. If it were true then f-it that's their business. Don't feel sorry for anyone who can't handle life.

Stephen66 likes this.
  7. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Obviously, I have not read all the comments made by people (Astros fans) regarding this subject, but I have read well over 1000. My question to you is who crossed the line and what did they say? Of the comments I read , 99.999% fell into 3 general categories: 1) Altuve is a great guy and you need to apologize and 2) You are not welcome here (I will not be reading anything you have to say is included here), and 3) The Chron screwed up hiring her. Not a single comment I read called for violence against or to her, not a single death threat, not a single comment even calling her a bad name. Now maybe these types of comments were made but just not in the groups I read. If these types of comments were made, they are certainly uncalled for and out of line. Can you or anyone point me towards these types of comments? Do they actually exist? Because I didn't see where Astros fans had crossed the line.
    As an Astro fan, I do think her comment was ridiculous, but coming from a Rangers fan, it really was completely understandable. She is certainly not the only person who thinks Altuve is a cheater. I am pretty sure it is the norm outside of the Houston fan area. I do not even have a problem with her hiring. I suspect most of these journalists cover teams they do not actually root for. So I just saw this as a big non-event that would blow over in a day or two.
    But then I read where she said she had contemplated suicide 3 times, this being one of them, and my reaction was Okay, Why?. I mean I get that there were a lot of comments, a whole whole lot, like the entire fan base came out to comment. I see a lot of deep hatred on the internet, but from my perspective this was really very tame.
    Now I notice a few other journalists jumping to her defense and chastising Astros fans to be classy. What a Fd-up world it is that after reading Jose deJesus Ortiz's comment and her claim that the comments were "dangerous to her mental health", I realize that I have become so jaded as to question if this is all just some orchestrated attempt to silence detractors from voicing their displeasure with her.

Stephen66 and The Beard like this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Someone who would freak out like that really needs to find another line of work. If criticism for her own stupid comments is enough to get her to contemplate suicide, she REALLY shouldn't be a public figure. She doesn't seem to have the mental constitution for that kind of thing.

Stephen66, The Beard and Snake Diggit like this.
  9. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

I am glad that you have not had to experience it, but it is not always dramatic. Sometimes life just beats the crap out of you and every time you try to get up it beats the crap out of you some more. As one that has had to live through the repercussions, all they want is for the pain to stop and they feel that is the only option. I admit that I do not see in her what I have seen before and therefore question her truthfulness, but I still give her the benefit of the doubt

10. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Heard anything about this? I lost the tweet, but read that the Astros almost traded Framber to the Dodgers for controlled talent. I get the feeling there is something to trading Framber. It seems to be circulating too much.

11. mikol13

Supporting Member

Well, damn…Now this has been deleted I guess. A lot of smoke trading Framber.

12. mikol13

Supporting Member

Here is one…

13. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

Depends on if the Atro think he's becoming a head-case or not. He imploded quite a bit down the stretch and didn't help us in the playoffs (0-3 with about a 9 ERA). He's lost his dependability and unsure if he can retain it back. Now may be the best time to shop him to see what the offers are, but only trade if it's too good to pass up.

14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I understand why the Astros would consider trading Framber, though it's is nearly impossible for that to not reduce the chances of winning a WS in 2024.

1) Brown has made it clear that the team wants to stay under the CBT in 2024 and has very little room (if any) with the current roster to accomplish that.

2) Young controllable established starting pitching is insanely valuable right now. The return the team could get is hard to ignore.

3) The organization is looking at a big step back in 2025 if Bregman and possibly Altuve leave, and another bigger one in 2026 with Tucker, Framber, Verlander, Pressly, J.Abreu, and Urquidy becoming FA and very little in the system to replace them. 2026 looks to be non competitive. A trade could prevent that.

4) A team has only 5 or 6 rotation spots available at any one time. With Verlander, Javier, H.Brown, Urquidy, and France set and Arrighetti, Bielak, Blanco, Dubin, and Gordon available to fill in from AAA. Dana may think the depth is there for the first half of the season and the gamble is worth it. Especially if the medical updates on McCullers and Garcia are positive.

*furthermore Dana Brown has publicly stated him impression of Arrighetti and has a history of bringing young players up quickly. He may be looking for an opening for that or at least expect him to be a good replacement.

5) Framber has had some focus issues and tends to have outings that spiral out of control. Maybe they feel he will take a step back, or have these more frequently without Maldy catching him? Or think it's a possibility enough to inch it closer towards a good idea?

Personally I would feel better in 2024 if Framber is on the Astros and better in 2025+ if they can trade him and get a good return.

I have no confidence that McCullers over the course of 6 months, 25 starts and 160+ innings to stay healthy. However I do have confidence over 12-15 starts and 90 innings over 3 months. And IF HEALTHY I have a lot of confidence in him being a good #2 or 3 playoff starter.

I also feel confident that Javier and H.Brown's struggles the 2nd half of 2023 had legitimate and correctable reasons and they take a step up to good #2-3 level SP in 2024.

If these happen then the impact of trading Framber is even less.

Pringles likes this.
  15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I am very surprised by how much smoke there is regarding Framber

But the more that does come out the more I am starting to wonder if something is up.

16. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

JJO blocked me when I reminded him that Lance Berkman went public saying JJO thinks everyone is racist

chievous minniefield likes this.
  17. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Maybe Astros legitly think Maldy is the Framber whisperer

Castian Crew likes this.
  18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Trading Framber now is exactly when the Pirates traded Cole... except Cole wasn't a Cy Young contender for the first half of the preceding season and didn't have a track record of playoff/World Series success. Also he didn't happen to be pitching for a team with championship aspirations. And also didn't happen to be the only starting pitcher who could actually pitch an entire season for said team with championship aspirations...

But I imagine those in here who are "all for it" will have another 20 posts about why it 'should' happen... but then concede that it likely 'won't' happen...

19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Hey!! That sounds like you're talking about me !!

FWIW I see the value either way and will understand and root for the Astros.

Normally I would be 100% opposed but how crazy high the market is now along with how pessimistic I am about 2026 is influencing me.

20. awc713

awc713 Member

FWIW, she says she got a slew of death threats and was called a barrage of slurs. I bet these were all done via private DMs, so it’s a bit disingenuous or at least uninformed for a bunch of keyboard warriors to comment on it and say “suck it up, that’s part of business”. These responses are not “criticism”—that is vile harassment. I doubt her suicide contemplation was just based off of just the public, non-private responses to her as noted above.

Major likes this.