1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Start Eason - bench Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Nov 29, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Already doing that hinging on circumstance and opponent......

2. dmoneybangbang

And Lou Williams was a good NBA player, especially in his prime. The mindset of star or bust is just dumb.

Why do you keep insisting on these two extreme outcomes.... as if a Lou Williams type of player isn't beneficial to a NBA team?

3. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Hell no. the ball needs to be in FVV or Sengun's hands to initiate the offense. Green's low basketball IQ should preclude him from being a guy you want running your offense.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He’s only starting because he was the 2nd pick and his face is all over the Rockets media guide.

5. cato13

cato13 Contributing Member

Honestly I think Vanvleet is who is holding JG4 back. I think he tries to take over games too much but he doesn't shoot that well and is too much of a volume shooter. Sure he has been a big part of the turnaround but I think his thought is that it's his team with the big contract signing. JG4 just needs to regain his confidence and swagger back. Yes he irritates me with some of his boneheaded turnovers at crucial times but he has the most upside. He needs to get in the weight room.

Stephen_A likes this.
  6. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

What low basketball IQ do you refer to and give specifics of what this means. I never said run an offense did I? I said he needs to be integrated into the offense and the staff needs to find ways to give him driving lanes and this means he needs to have the ball in his hands to score. I was watching how the Celtics play and they’re very balanced. Holiday handles the ball and sets up the half court and dumps it to porzingis in the mid or low post. But when they can’t get the ball to porzingis or when the ball is in Tatum’s hands they iso him allowing him to go make a play or they post him. Green hasn’t been integrated in this offense and seems an after thought with the first unit. And I think this is one of the reasons the Rockets go on droughts. To be more effective they need to give Green the ball more and get him driving lanes. Plain and simple.

7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Yes I agree

8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

What evidence do you have of this? Or is this just conjecture without evidence?

topfive likes this.
  9. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Cam will be a great player and might challenge for a starting spot next year. At this point, he’s only played garbage time minutes. There’s 0 chance a team in the playoff hunt benches Green for a rookie.

The only guy capable of challenging Green was KPJ

Stephen_A likes this.
  10. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

C’mon DD, that’s disingenuous. Sitting a guy down the stretch is a far cry from removing them from the starting lineup.

topfive and dmoneybangbang like this.
  11. invocux

invocux Member

We won't bench him for Cam but we should. Jalen is pretty much the same player from 2 years ago so you are sitting a rookie for another rookie. He doesn't have the wisdom of 3rd year player, he doesn't shoot like a 3rd year player. He doesn't play to his strengths so we won't miss him. KPJ is straight up better basketball player than Green. If KPJ wasn't a woman beater and a locker room cancer Green would play 20 minutes a night on this team. KPJ archetype is literally what we need right now.

12. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Green is inconsistent, but when he’s aggressive going to the basket he’s a guy who can drop 30 any given night. That is invaluable on this team and a big problem with Green is the fans’ expectations as a number 2 pick. There is no one on the bench even close to challenging Green for his starting spot.

13. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Sengun is perfect. No flaws. Absolute perfect player. A demi god.

14. invocux

invocux Member

It'll take Cam about a month to get to his level.

15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Cam isn’t even a 2 guard.

groovemachine likes this.
  16. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This "5 out" thing is a good thought, so I decided to go look it up as I usually do, and the stats on those lineups aren't good. The overall net rating for Jalen Green and Jeff Green together is -4.7, which is quite bad. I think a big problem with this team playing 5 out is that our shooters just aren't very good, though. Jalen's most played 5 out lineup has both Tate and Tari in it, neither of those two are particularly good shooters/floor spacers. I think your point is good that Jalen would thrive more with an open lane, that's pretty clear, I just don't think we even have the roster to facilitate that. I mean, hypothetically you could just start Jeff Green instead of Sengun, but the team would obviously be way worse if we did that. Our 5 man starting lineup is actually one of the best in the nba with a +10.4 net rating.

Stephen_A likes this.
  17. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Say what you will. DD may be right about this one.

DaDakota likes this.
  18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

**** DD was right. Tari is turning into Kawhi right in front of my eyes

Plowman likes this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Thank you both, it is appreciated.....I got roasted when I posted this, even though I knew it would work.

DD

20. invocux

invocux Member

Terrific back to back games. If we aren't gonna use Cam might as well start him over JG