1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to start thinking about moving Jalen before the deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 2, 2023.

1. TDRox

TDRox Member

As someone who has Jalen on his 9-cat fantasy team, I can attest to this. Currently ranked 193 on Yahoo because he contributes nothing (except turnovers). Bad in fantasy and reality.

daywalker02 likes this.
  2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Considering FVV & his contract +picks likely get moved before next year's deadline....Dejounte Murray. He can play both guard spots, plays ferocious D, and can stick it from downtown. (only makes 16/yr)

cbass likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Fantasy players are usually those that overperform by a lot......there would be Linsanities every once in a while on Fantasy.

Sell high and then to the next lowly guy to explode soon.

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think you being a Rockets fan over-estimate the value of an underperforming 2nd pick in the draft. The few times a player that's drafted this high has been traded, is if they are hopelessly awful (Thabeet, Wiseman), Mediocre talent - Contract dispute (Bagley), Salary dump for stars (Beasley). None of those cases ended in anything of value in return for those player.

If the Rockets that has spent 2-3 years developing Green is trading him, that in itself kills any value. Why would another team gave up a high quality 25 year old and take a gamble on something that the original team gave up.

I predict the following scenario with Green.
    1. Ideal scenario, he somehow snaps out of it and we sign a team friendly contract with him
    2. Contract extension dispute, he signs like a 2 year 40 million dollar deal with a team that wants to take a gamble (Jabari Parker)
    3. Andrew Wiggins Scenario, we overpay him to hell and he never improves, we need to attach assets to get rid of him

Easy and dmoneybangbang like this.
  5. Plowman

Supporting Member

Ingram and Ball were key pieces in the deal for AD.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't think that's what this thread is about, if a 25 year old AD is forcing his way to Houston at all cost we would throw in Jalen, Jabari, all of our Nets picks. The problem is AD isn't knocking on the door and this thread is about dumping Green off

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

Not exactly the same situation where AD wanted to go to the Lakers. Try again

8. dmoneybangbang

That's the pot calling the kettle black. You are also deciding what you want to show to make your point.

Green has been inconsistent but was objectively a much better shooter from deep, regardless of 41% vs 42%.......

9. Plowman

Supporting Member

My point is that both were #2 picks, 2-3 yrs out....not showing a ton.(I liked Ingram) But, these guys had value...as does Jalen right now.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well put. Exactly what I am thinking. A lot of people who want to trade Green now think that all the other teams are too dumb to notice what they notice about Green's flaws.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

For those that don't want to trade him, do you believe his value goes up or down from here?

If you think his value goes up, I can see hanging onto him to take advantage of that, but I need something more than he's only 21 or he's on our team to justify investing more into him - Statistically, I think he's shown us who he is, he's been pretty much the same player from day one to today, not much variance either way - year over year.
    Moving on opens up minutes for both Cam & Amen who could benefit and may even help the team in the process.

If you don't think he's going to turn the corner, what's the point?? Are you somehow going to get a greater return by waiting?
    I could see this angle - there might not be a deal out there today that you want to pull the trigger on but maybe at the deadline a quality player shakes loose / wants out and you can use Jalen's value & contract as a piece of that.

Hell, I don't know what I would expect in return or what you might have to add to Jalen to return a player we might covet.

If we're worried about extracting equal value - What exactly is equal value?

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Up, after a few 30+ games in a row.

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

60/40 it goes up.

But 40% down is a much higher number than I would have placed on it even a month ago.
    In other words, while I am still optimistic, my optimism is waning.

I think his defense and passing have improved some, but his shooting and decision making havent.

#633 jim1961, Dec 14, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2023
    Easy likes this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

His shots are way too inconsistent. It has been that way since day 1, and there has been no improvement. At least he’s growing a little bit in other areas, but not much.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think a player's value is tied to his contract not his draft position. If Jalen's ceiling is only a JR Smith/Clarkson type of player, that's fine as long as he is paid like one. I don't think Jalen will be entirely useless like a Wiseman or Thabeet at this point.

Y2JT and Easy like this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Nobody knows for sure. Those who want to trade him don't know either. We can only guess.

But a young player in the first part of his 3rd season at age 21 has a better likelihood to be better than to be worse. That's just commonsense.

slothy420, Carpe82 and jim1961 like this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

What exactly do you base that optimism on?

It can't be statistics .... they are either flat or down since year one.

Comparisons to other players his age? Most of those did show some statistical improvement year over year.
    Past performance is no guarantee of future success .... and in this case, we're comparing someone else's past performance.

Just a hunch?

Other than he's our guy, on our team, I can't see the optimism.

Hell, if he were on some other roster, not a single one of us would be trying to trade for him.

I guess the fact that the team is winning anyway buys Stone and Udoka some time ..... along with Green's contract situation, they did pick up his 4th year option.

subtomic and Easy like this.
  18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

What Easy said.

daywalker02 and Easy like this.
  19. TimDuncanDonaut

Jalen is still on his rookie deal. So current contract is not a burden. The wait is two parts: on Jalen's side and what's out there.

Jalen might still have a plateau year, or he might go up. Team is still winning, so he actually has a bit of wiggle room to figure it out.

2nd part is what's out there. The name stars like Lavinge (apparently recently expressed he likes L.A.), or Klay (turned down 2yr/48 mil, was looking for near max). Options not too good out there.

Unless exploration is on some other talents at Jalen's experience... Ivey, reported some rough relations with Monty, or even younger: raw talent that just beeped on the radar. (Like Wizard's Balal Coulibaly).

Hold unless things shake loose. Don't think GM will shop him this year.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not at all but some others might be running an ISO heavy offense that suits him better, or are just starting their rebuild and have more time for him to develop and are willing to wait.

No one thinks he is a bust, but it is about what he will be as an end product and how long will it take to get there, I think years.....so find someone that is just starting the rebuild and give them the Brooks pics too and get back someone ready to contribute now and hit go.

DD