1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I don’t want to trade any of our core pieces for at least this season. I still think about what kpj could’ve been in this season

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I've felt that way about Green for a while now and I think the numbers back it up.

It's no coincidence that when Jalen plays well, the team has a very good chance of winning - but when he plays poorly, their odds of winning are severely diminished.

The rest of the rotation players are relatively consistent in their performance where Jalen can be a very wide variable.
    He doesn't have to be fantastic for the team to win either - just not be bad. The last game in Denver is a good example of that - it wasn't his best offensive game, but it may have been his best all around game of the season - he played good defense, didn't turn the ball over and took those mid range paint shots that the defense was giving instead of running into the teeth of the defense at the rim or taking longer shots in no man's land.

One of the guys several people are wanting to acquire is a prime example of why many don't want to give up on Jalen:
    Markkanen was a guy I mentioned picking up several years back and was met with resistance - No one else thought he was a good acquisition and statistically, the No's were probably correct at the time ..... now a few years down the line and he's matured into a quality player.

That's my fear with Jalen - eventually he figures it out ..... on another roster.

By all reports, he's worked really hard on the things he needs to improve on, it just hasn't always shown up on the court.

If you give up on him, there is considerable risk that you are wrong .... I know I come off as critical but even still, I go back and forth on playing it out Or ... time to move on.

I'd really hate to be in Stone's shoes regarding Jalen.

#482 Corrosion, Dec 10, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2023
  3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

So, when Wendell Carter Jr. returns, the Magic actually will have a ton of frontcourt depth. Goga and M. Wagner have been locking it down for them in Carter's absence. I wonder if it would be possible to pick one of them off? Carter would be amazing, but I'm assuming he would be too expensive -- at least, too expensive given we are trading for a backup for Smith and Sengun. Moritz Wagner is still pretty young at 26 and is only owed 8 mil next season. Goga is super intriguing -- his defensive rating is 104.8 (!) this season -- but he is an UFA after this season, so it's a big risk.

fattz and OremLK like this.
  4. Houston77

Supporting Member

Another thought -- what about Isaiah Stewart? He's young, versatile, and locked into a reasonable contract until 2028. The poison pill aspect of the rookie extension isn't too bad -- like 13 mil incoming. The Pistons are obviously awful and probably view Duren and Ausar as their frontcourt of the future, and thus need players who complement Cade, Duren, and Thompson. Stewart is a good floor stretcher, but the Pistons really need guys who can shoot 40%+ from three if they are rolling with that "big 3."

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, Orlando and Detroit would be two good teams to get into talks with. My personal favorite option is still an Olynyk reunion though. The problem with our bench actually isn't the defense and rebounding, it's that we struggle to score if Holiday isn't going off. Olynyk's shooting and passing would help with that.

6. TimDuncanDonaut

Speaking of Pistons, a left field one.

Amen for Ivey.

Money is close. If Monty and Ivey beef is not a nothing burger; Ivey is more playmaking, better handle, and shoots the 3 better. Ivey has one year extra in NBA experience. Both guys athletic. Amen more defensive, but our 2nd unit is already very defensive: with Holiday, Tari and Tate. What we need is playmaking and offense.

Rockets get offense: playmaking and (relatively better) spacing.
    Pistons gets both twins on same team. Less point redundancy between Cade and Ivey. Move on from Ivey, if there was friction.

If FVV leaves eventually, there's PG spot for Ivey. But in Pistons, unless he stays off ball as a 2, he'll always be behind Cade.

I wasn't high on Ivey his rookie year, but his 3p% has potential, more than some of the other young players in his class and this one. Thompsons barely shoot any 3's, right now: Both under 20% (13% Ausar, 18% Amen). FT% also not great, if people use that as a barometer. Amen's sample is non-existent, but his twin, same genetics and ote experience is a parallel baseline.

We all knew this coming out of the draft but to see it play out is not encouraging. There's a risk that their shooting doesn't come. They might improve to 20+%, but their baseline is low to begin with.

#486 TimDuncanDonaut, Dec 11, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2023
  7. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see a need for any trade unless it's somehow dumping Landale and gettting a more defensive minded center.

Hemingway, Corrosion, jim1961 and 5 others like this.
  8. fattz

fattz Member

Goga in free agency after Landale is cut from his non-guaranteed contract.

ilias and Corrosion like this.
  9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

xaos and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. topfive

topfive CF OG

Incarcerated?

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Pretty much how I feel too, with the caveat that maybe it wouldn't be terrible to move Tate for a few 2nds to clear up minutes for Eason/Amen.

Especially so if we do land a competent backup C, as Jabari/Jeff would see a lot fewer minutes at the 5, which makes things a lot tighter at PF and SF as a result.

Holiday's play has pretty much filled the need for a backup combo guard, and I still think Bullock can eventually contribute as a 3rd string wing.

kubli9 and jim1961 like this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not sure the Rockets could get it, but I doubt they trade Tate for less than a future FRP.

Corrosion likes this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

jim1961 likes this.
  14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Take it a bit further left of field and try this:

Jalen Green + Oladipo + Bullock (Bullock is filler - minimum contract to make salaries work)

For

Bogdanovic + Ivey + 2x2nd rounders

Bojan could start, and bring his elite shot making to fit in with our current system. Ivey would be a nice spark plug off the bench

Green would obviously be a major loss, and a significant talent upgrade for Detroit, but it is about what other pieces Houston has and can feature going forward. Bojan fits in a different way (Brooks would start at the 2), bringing great size and shooting at the 3 spot. And there would be more time to look at Amen/ Ivey/ Whitmore at the guard spots for the future

15. conquistador#11

#495 conquistador#11, Dec 12, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2023
    kubli9 likes this.
  16. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I think we should go after Brogdon. Since the Blazers are tanking/rebuilding, we know they would be willing to move him for the right return, especially now that Simons is back from injury. And salary wise, he makes a lot of sense, since he has two years left on his deal, so he can help us with salary matching both this offseason and next season, and we can get to his contract for Dipo, Landale, and Tate. It would suck to lose Tate, but he is already starting to slip out of the rotation, and we need more guard help.

Brogdon is a versatile guard who can play 1 or 2, is a really good shooter offball, can run the offense when FVV sits. And he could push Jalen for minutes, maybe even taking the starting spot from him if Jalen continues to struggle. Our offense would get a lot better and more consistent with Brogdon in for Jalen. Then Amen and Jalen can run our bench, and if Jalen does well enough, perhaps he can actually EARN his starting spot back (something he's never had to do in the NBA).

I'd hate to give up the Nets pick for Brogdon, but perhaps a couple seconds and Tate to a team like Indy for a conditional first from them would be enough to get Brogdon.

17. Houston77

Supporting Member

I think it makes a lot of sense. Even from a contract perspective, it’s sensible given his money will come off at the same time we can opt-out of FVV’s contract. Frankly, I’d start Brogdon and let him and FVV stabilize the backcourt for a couple years while Green, Amen, and Whitmore continue to develop.

FVV / Brogdon / Brooks / Smith / Sengun
    Holiday / Green / Amen / Eason / Green

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't think we need Brogdon. He is already 31. We don't need another aging veteran, we're good on mentors/culture-setters. We're not going anywhere except maybe a first round exit this season--we're a lot better, but this is still a developmental/growth year, not a contending year.

If we are going to spend trade assets, go after guys who are around 25-26 at the oldest. Guys who can figure into our long-term plans. Let teams trying to win a chip this year go after Brogdon.

Tuckmose likes this.
  19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

2024 Brooklyn pick(top 5 protected)+Tate+2025 Brooklyn swap rights (top 8 protected) for Kispert and Gafford.

20. R=$

R=$ Member

Houston Rockets Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: +14.3 ppg, +0.8 rpg, and +5.6 apg.
    Incoming Players
    [​IMG] D'Angelo Russell
    27 year old, 6-3, 193 lb SG from Ohio State
    16.6 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 6.3 apg in 30.2 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Max Christie
    20 year old, 6-5, 190 lb F from Michigan State
    5.0 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 1.0 apg in 17.6 minutes in 2023-2024
    Outgoing Players
    [​IMG] Victor Oladipo
    31 year old, 6-3, 213 lb G from Indiana
    No games yet played in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Jock Landale