1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Bregman's 1st season on a new deal will be his age 31 season. No way he signs a deal for less than 6 years. Hitters do not want to be FA in their mid 30s

I'm actually fine with this, and I think Brown and Crane are too but reports are that he wants 10 years.

I don't blame him. This is his chance. He gave up 2 FA years for security now is his chance to get all he can.

No way the Astros go 10 yrs. I think they jump at 6 and MAYBE can be convinced to go 7 based on the lack of a replacement but no way they go over that.

I don't see AAV being an issue. I actually think they go to $30M and possibly a slight bit higher if he agrees to 6 yrs.

But I see much bigger longer offers out there and Astros will be too far away.

I think he would take smaller AAV to stay with the Astros but he wants 8yrs+ and Astros simply won't do it.

I see 8+ yr / $240M+ offers out there from teams like SF, NYM, Bos, etc.

Astros absolute largest offer, if their arms were twisted and they felt they NEEDED him would be 7yrs /$210M or 6yr / $195M.

The problem is if he signed 6yrs /$195, it is very unlikely that he can get 2yrs /$45M (remains from other teams offer) as a 37yr old. He needs as long as possible now.

#2241 IdStrosfan, Dec 11, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2023
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wonderful. We're already passed "peak" Yordan in terms of his ability to play the field and stay injury free into his 30's!

(j/k)

Chas isn't a wild card. He may not be the near .900 OPS hitter he was at his peak last year, but he's not going to fall off a cliff by any means either. Meyers has never done anything sustainable to either warrant major expectations or be dissapointed when he doesn't meet them. He would be a pleasant surprise at this point.

raining threes and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  3. the shark

the shark Member

What about Brantley? Are they speaking to him and is there any possibility of him coming back on a one yr deal?

4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I hope not

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Until he goes all Charlie Morton on you and has another productive 5 years elsewhere, with the longest run of health he's ever had in his career.... (I'm kidding).

raining threes and IdStrosfan like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros have spoken to him - I know that a week or so ago they thought he would end up in Toronto or Anaheim.

7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I'm not opposed to Brantley on the Astros. In fact, I love watching him, as an Astros fan- he's a favorite.

However, he does not fit in with the 2024 Astros due to payroll and health concerns.

Unless he proves to be 100% healthy and able to play 80+ games in the OF and take a significantly smaller 1 yr deal ($5M or less) then there is simply no room.

8. awc713

awc713 Member

I know it was mentioned in the other thread but LAD paying Ohtani 20mil over the next decade seems like a massive cba luxury tax violation.

im not sure how the league deal with this—they are delaying over 97% of his 700mil deal! Just absurd. Truly bonkers and borderline unfair…

Radricky likes this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

At $5M or less the Astros cannot pass up Brantley. He’s too good of a teammate and too solid with the bat, even if he’s very limited defensively and very injury prone. Anything over $8M should probably be out of range for Houston given how limited they are financially.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This post was made, word for word, regarding Charlie Morton in 2018.

He got a two year deal instead of the one year deal, and the rest is history.

hopefully the Astros have more confidence in their medicals this time around… both ways.

raining threes likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

“It’s the smart move… Tessio was always smarter.”

Somehere Jeff Luhnow is laughing as others continue to find ways to manipulate the current structure/rules with cutthroat precision.

12. raining threes

Dont know much about the Toronto guys other than Manoah.

But after reading a little about these guys, I would do this deal. I think somehow Toronto would want to put Bichette in the deal. Who would you add or take out of this deal if Bichette was added to the deal?

13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think that the Reds would be a very interesting trade partner for Tucker.

They are in a winnable division and loaded w/ young infielders but none of the OF are superstars and they need experience, especially post season experience to teach the young guns.

Tucker and J.P. France

For

Noelvi Marte (#23 prospect in MLB and a 3B replacement for Bregman who is MLB ready)

Will Benson who is an acceptable starting RF (1.5-2 WAR) to replace Tucker and has 5 years of control remaining.

Nick Lodolo who is a good LHRP w/ 4 years of control left.

Ty Floyd- their #12 prospect, a 50 grade RSP

Lyon Richardson - their #14 prospect, a 45 grade RSP who is just getting past TJS.

The key to the deal is Marte, who becomes an option due to the glut of infielders and recent signing of Jeimer Candelario.

14. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I hope so. Astros need another proven LH bat.

the shark likes this.
  15. Major

Major Member

It's not - he's actually getting paid properly and the Dodgers getting taxed properly on a $460MM contract. The $700MM is just a fake number. It's similar to what Bobby Bonilla did with the Mets and why he's still getting paid $1MM/yr for the next 12 years.

16. havoc1

havoc1 Member

How is it a fake number? Over the next 20 years he is getting paid $700 million dollars with the deferrals.

17. Major

Major Member

Money in 2043 is worth less than money today. If I say I'll pay you $100 in 2043, it's basically the same as me saying I'll pay you $45 today (depending on what interest rate you use). So they created a big number but it doesn't cost the Dodgers nearly that much and the value Ohtani gets is not nearly that much in current value. He's actually getting the equivalent of about $460MM.

Bobby Bonilla was owed $6MM on his contract when the Mets bought him out - but through crazy deferrals, they'll pay him almost $30MM. But those two amounts are essentially equal because of the loss of value of the money.

#2257 Major, Dec 11, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2023
    havoc1 likes this.
  18. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I just saw, apparently his contract defers all but 20mm until 2034...

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Bichette has roughly equal value to Tucker, but Houston wouldn’t do that unless they were wanting to move on from Pena for some reason. So add in Bichette and Pena, take out Tiedemann, and it’s close; maybe:

Astros get:
    SS Bo Bichette
    SP Alex Manoah
    IF Josh Kasevich
    IF Tucker Toman
    OF Spencer Horwitz
    P CJ Van Eyk

Blue Jays get:
    OF Kyle Tucker
    SS Jeremy Pena
    SP Jose Urquidy

I think thats roughly fair but really don’t see why either team would do that deal.

20. Major

Major Member

Neither Pujols or Hamilton were $300MM contracts, so they weren't the types of contracts being referred to. And Mike Trout hasn't prevented the Angels from improving any part of their roster.

If your point is that bad players on big contracts hurt a franchise, that seems pretty obvious. That's very different from saying every $300MM contract is bad.