1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Greens 3rd Year Analysis Vs Current SGs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigMaloe, Dec 1, 2023.

1. invocux

invocux Member

I'm enjoying right now and i said that he was great tonight. You can enjoy and not see a certain player as building block. Besides this is a forum for us i can say whatever i say about whomever i want. If Jalen was a member here reading these i wouldn't say most of the things i said because i could get into his head with my criticism which i'm great at btw but he's not here and i am talking to bunch of losers that so why would i keep my thoughts to myself? Nobody gets hurt, nobody gets affected by my words, front office doesn't know me i'm a nobody. At worst i'm annoying and i think you could find a way to deal with such a minor inconvenience.

If i thought he could turn things around and become our shepherd i wouldn't have said the things i said. I'm 100% convinced that his ceiling is Jordan Clarkson that's why i'm not holding back. First year they said he was Kobe 2 i said no he is not, next season they said his numbers were similar to Ant's numbers so he was Ant again i said no he's not. I'm 2/2 so far. This year i'm reading that he's going to make that jump in year 4 with Ime and i'm still saying that they are wrong. Ime is going to teach him a lot of things sure. He's going keep him responsible for his mistakes and he'll grow as a player i agree with that to a certain extent. What is not going to happen is that he's not going to wake up one day and have a high bbiq and be a lethal shooter from the perimeter. Some people can shoot some people can't and that's not even predictor of one's overall talent. Lebron is the GOAT but he was not a good 3pt shooter most of his career. Kobe was elite but he never was a good 3pt shooter. Kobe is tiers above Booker but Booker is a better shooter. Green despite his talent still can not develop into a great 3pt shooter that's entirely possible.

I'm just making sure that you don't lose your touch with reality. Think me as an annoying phone alarm that always rings. I'll always be here for you.

2. conquistador#11

3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Learn to read. I said your take that a sg needs to b a sniper or he wont b taken seriously is as bad as those folks who said sengun can't b a center or taken seriously bc he's shorter and not a shot blocker. There's not a set definitive skillset for a position as long as u win. If kpj was pg and we were winning It wouldn't b an issue either. There's a reason why I'm pro sengun regardless if he's isnt like the traditional center is bc we are winning. Green can get away with not being a sniper if he plays like today.

Your stance comes off more as hypocritical more than anything.

And /s = sacarasm since it seems u think I actually believe that all centers needs to b a traditional big man to succeed in the league

#183 DatRocketFan, Dec 9, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
    roslolian likes this.
  4. invocux

invocux Member

You think we could consistently win with KPJ. That was never possible. KPJ was lacking court vision and PG instincts to be a PG. Jalen doesn't have a great sg's form to be an great sg and that's what he's missing. If everyone plays well we win but when he has to shoulder things he does and will crumble. Things have changed after Curry now a sg has to be able to shoot from perimeter. I'm not saying a sg has to be Klay, carbon copy of him no i'm saying that a sg has to be able to shoot. That's not an option that's a requirement. Bane, Mitchell, Booker, Lavine up until this year, Ant, Maxey as sg, Klay, the best sg's itl, different type of players but have 1 common skill that is ability to make their outside shots. Anfernee Simmons will be one of the best guards in the league in a few years because he can shoot.

5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

My point being as long as we win the players that contribute to the team doesn't have to fit the archetype of that position to play. Sengun fans get triggered that sengun was wrongly shat on because folks didn't believe he could play well bc he wasn't a traditional center and here u go shtting on green for not being your ideal sg. Mental gymnastics

Man played well and that leads to winning who the fk care if he wasn't a sniper.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm normally pretty critical of Jalen but I thought tonight against the Nuggets was maybe his best game of the season .... he didn't make stupid turnovers, played decent defense and made good decisions driving into the lane by kicking the ball out or taking open mid range shots rather than going right into the teeth of the defense.

He doesn't have to go off for this team to win.

Was a good moment for him when he got after Brooks after the Tech. Got his head back in the game.

7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Perhaps another player to compare jalen green with is jalen Suggs . I actually loved Suggs in the draft and wanted to trade down to get him . My take looked bad the last two years , but Suggs has broken out a bit this year and ,small sample size non withstanding, appears to have improved his 3 pointer significantly

He is not an offensive side “star” hopeful like Jalen . But I do believe he is a 2 guard . His efficiency has basically caught up to our Jalen’s this year and he’s much more advanced defensively.

I think it’s a coin flip who is better the next couple of years . The main thing boosting our jalen is free throw rate , which may not be consistent .

another main statistical difference is JG has a much higher unassisted 3 point rate (they are about even on unassisted two point rate , suggesting both get to the rim fairly equally … our jalen attempts more ISO (for lack of a better word) 3’s

Again here , I’m a bit more concerned because one would think the shooting percentage on unassisted 3’s would have a high variance .

JG needs to bring more passing and creating for others on offense and step up his defens.

JG is definitely more like the previous players listed in this thread , scoring guards . JS is a rarer archetype . I was gonna say maybe Brandon Roy , but I was looking at his stats and he got to the rim unassisted way more than either Jalen

8. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Wait so 3-10 is somehow midrange, but 16+ isn't?

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Because he is our guy.....;)

10. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

He's 21 barely in his 3rd year and is showing multiple improvements... If you think he can't improve as a 3pt shooter you're an idiot.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

I mean, not really with his shooting so far.

Year 1: 42.6% / 34.3%
    Year 2: 41.6% / 33.8%
    Year 3: 42.7% / 33.9% (so far)

He still has plenty of time to improve those numbers as the season goes on, and perhaps he will. But right now he looks like he's just treading water, and for a guy who relies so much on his jump shot, I'm not going to lie, that's a bit concerning. Yes, he's still young, but you want to see a pattern of improvement.

12. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

He shoots 46% 16-23 feet... That's very good

BigMaloe likes this.
  13. OremLK

OremLK Member

That is a good point. He has shown improvement shooting from the long-midrange. Hopefully that will translate to more 3P makes soon. We'll see!

Air Canada likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The long 2 is basically the most deceptive one, for one it is almost a 3 pointer but it counts the same as a layup.

Corrosion and OremLK like this.
  15. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, "worst shot in basketball"

But if he's making those at a higher clip, I guess you can take it as a positive sign for his shooting overall. He just needs to start converting more of those into threes.

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It was one of the spots of 'past superstars', they were either not guarded well, or it looks dapper when someone hits a tough shot there.

That is one of the gripes, he is trying to be a star when in fact he should first learn to be a role player.

Now he feels he has to do both......filling out other areas of the game and be the closer......that is likely too much for him at this point.

OremLK likes this.
  17. invocux

invocux Member

I don't see him consistently shooting .37 from the perimeter. His release point is still low, doesn't have the best looking jumper. Takes bad shots which drops his % (due to low to mid bbiq). Check out Clarkson's shooting form it's carbon copy of Jalen's sf. Then check out Ant's sf. Ant got better from the perimeter because he always had a good looking jumper. This is also why i'm not super high on Amen. He shoots even worse than Jalen but since he's a very intelligent bb player and playmaking is his primary role i value him more than Jalen.

Jalen is probably the player i like the least in this roster. I see him as a pre-cancerous tumor that needs to be surgically removed by Ime and others before it's too late.

DaDakota likes this.
  18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Sengun only fan being a hypocrite what's new?

As long as we r winning green could play as he been playing since there's already sengun being the main piece. But nah he needs to b a sniper like every other sg or he gets the boot according to posters like u.

Oh sengun doesn't have to fit the mold as the traditional center to succeed bc times has changed but green needs to b like the traditional sg or he's getting the boot. This archetype bs all over again.

19. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Hope to see that same energy but with the much more critical outlook when people evaluate Amen, who doesn't even come close to Green's worst shooting at his very best. It's bizarre, apparently Amen's a future superstar despite barely being able to shoot (because apparently that can be fixed) but an infinitely more skilful Green is a bust despite having legitimate monster games on great efficiency in his career already. If Amen can learn to be an average shooter, then Green can easily learn to be a much better one. Otherwise, start crying now because Amen's way more of a bust than Green will ever be if it all comes down to jump shots.

Carpe82 likes this.
  20. invocux

invocux Member

You are such a hopeless case it's pointless going back and forth with you but i'm going to explain it to you for the last time listen to me carefully. New generation shooting guards are capable of shooting the ball unlike the others played decades ago. Their primary job is to be able to make their outside shots. Some are more limited like Klay some are more versatile like Booker but the only thing they have in common is them being efficient at high volume. Elite shooting guards seperate themselves from the others by being sharpshooters in 2023. Centers' role have evolved and players like Sengun, Sabonis, Jokic can become n.1 option for their teams. Just like i want my center to be a modern center i want my sg to be a modern sg.

And i criticize Sengun all the time but it's so ironic that you stan for a chucker while i like a team player and somehow i'm the only fan. I like him because he makes us better you like Jalen because you like watching him. You would never want him out even if we become a mid table team but i'd ask for Sengun's head if he somehow caps our ceiling with his shortcomings.