1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith Jr. is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Jul 7, 2023.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

Keep an eye on the contract OG Anunoby gets this upcoming offseason--I bet it will be max or near-max dollars

Gives you some idea of the value Jabari can bring even if he never makes an all-star game

roslolian likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/st...ost-ad-randle-new-snappiness-giannis-dominant

Jabari Smith Jr.'s forays into bully ball

For someone who was the rumored No. 1 pick, Smith can be easy to overlook amid the Houston Rockets' 9-9 start. He's averaging 13 points as the fifth option in Houston's starting five, and does not work much as a rim-running backup center even with Jock Landale -- presumed backup -- having vanished from the rotation. (The Rockets often split that role between Jeff Green and Jae'Sean Tate.)

Even so, Smith is quietly becoming a very good two-way player with untapped upside. He's averaging 13 points, shooting 37% on 3s, and at 6-foot-11 can defend all five positions. He has amped up his rebounding. Stop there, and that's a winning player. But Smith eventually will absorb more shot creation duties -- in transition; handling in pick-and-roll; attacking close-outs; and even bulldozing mismatches on switches: Vid

The best defenses offer few vulnerabilities. You need to exploit the ones you find. Heavy-minutes bigs have to establish that opponents can't stash smaller defenders on them -- that they will put those guys in the basket unless you send help.

Smith's post touches are up only slightly, but he's making the most of them. The Rockets have scored 1.24 points per possession when Smith shoots from the post or dishes to a teammate who fires -- 13th among 58 players with at least 15 post touches, per Second Spectrum.

3. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

I was a little perturbed by his shaky start, but it looks like he's found some consistency. There was kind of an expectation for him to come out guns blazing after his summer league and preseason performances, but I think it's good that he's learning to contribute to winning in a low maintenance role. But I wouldn't be mad if they started siphoning some of the backcourt shot attempts to him.

If you buy into Defensive Rating and Defensive Win Shares, he is neck and neck with Sengün to lead the Rockets. Pretty cool that a 21 and 20 year old frontcourt are playing a significant role on an elite defense. Also speaks to the influence Udoka, Brooks, and VanVleet have had.

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

5. invocux

invocux Member

His TS% is above the league average by %3 (among PF's ofc). What he needs to do next is he should bulk up. Julius Randle body type is unrealistic but he could at least be Collins. Check out Collins' rookie photos they have very similar body types and Collins is really strong now.

astros123, roslolian and Old School74 like this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

He’s a mother****ing dog and I’m loving it.

7. YaosDirtyStache

I am not a big Jabari guy but damn it I want him to prove me wrong. A 6'11 defensive shooter is all he needs to be, but a team like ours that NEEDS a superstar or all star level talent besides Gunner, hes gotta be more.

Heres to hoping he really is what people say he can be.

8. 34to11

34to11 Member

It's sad that even when Jabari has an absolutely stellar defensive game certain agenda-pushing bloggers insist on giving the credit elsewhere.

Bari had a game leading defensive rating of 91 while being the primary defender on the current rookie of the year favorite, and was the most crucial player in making Udoka's defensive scheme work.
    All while being an absolute beast on the boards.

Yet very few people, even among this so-called fan base, are giving him his just due.

9. 34to11

34to11 Member

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

12. astros123

astros123 Member

Franchise player? Cmon guys

13. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

He missed a few shots tonight, but he played amazing D, got 12 rebounds, and had the best +\-. Enough of crappy posts like this after a win. What a loser mentality, I swear.

roslolian likes this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s playing hard, winning basketball. All I can ask for

BaselineFade and Roomba like this.
  15. astros123

astros123 Member

Hes not a franchise player. He has potential to be a excellent role player but franchise player/max contract? Cmon man

16. Houston77

Supporting Member

He 100% has a good chance of getting a max contract. You need to learn history dude. Like, you do realize he’s 20, right? A 20 yr old playing D like he does while hitting threes and cleaning up boards is insanely rare. I mean, he’s currently top 10 in defensive rating as a 20 yr old, for crying out loud. If his offense improves a bit, teams would line up to give him the max or near max.

17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Going into the season, I thought it was a given that Sengun would be the team's leading rebounder. However, with Jabari manning up on these fools, I think I may have been wrong.

Jabari "Skinny Otis" Smith for the win.

Nook likes this.
  18. invocux

invocux Member

He didn't shoot well at all like he was terrible but he made some plays and grabbed rebounds. The reason why we won tonight is because they were 5-41 from behind the arc. He was one of the better guys tonite but nobody except Tari played well if we are being honest.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. Houston77

Supporting Member

After FVV, who played the most minutes? Bari, a 20 old. There’s a reason for that. Ime knows talent when he sees it.

roslolian likes this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

At least he has much better taste than Zion.

Tbh I never understood why these multimillionaires can't get girls who look amazing and settle skank looking chicks.