1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to start thinking about moving Jalen before the deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 2, 2023.

1. cumutk

cumutk Member

The thing is he has no fundamental and almost 0 basketball iq.
    He only depends on his athleticism and his athleticism is limited cause he is not strong.

He is young and l dont say that trade him right now, but l know some fans and some People comment here a little bit overrate him.
    He is the weakest piece in the starting unit.
    This is his third year and we are talking about #2 draft... not someone drafted at 35-36 place, he does not play with basketball iq, l dont care if he scores 40 points or 50 points incosistently, he needs to develop so many weaknesses.
    He does not know when to pass and when to cut.
    Besides Sengun's so many missed Free throws- if he wants to be allstar, he should make those free throws, what the **** is 5/11-terrible, l could not watch some parts of the game because of stupid decisions Jalen Made.

l like him and want him to become a good player, but right now he can only be 14-15 minues punch skorer guy off the bench( role player at best).
    Sengun and Jabari needs more help and right now- maybe he will in the future-this person is not Jalen.
    At least for now.

#481 cumutk, Dec 7, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
    HamJam, DaDakota and Corrosion like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He loses the ball way too much during the last minutes of the 4th......it has become a habit.

Good thing Aaron and Brooks were hot during this game.

REEKO_HTOWN, Roomba and DaDakota like this.
  3. OnlyRockets

OnlyRockets Member

woah all those words are fake news. Don't believe anti-Jalen black propaganda...

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

[​IMG]

5. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm concerned about Jalen's TOs. It's not that he turns the ball over a ton -- the turnovers just seem to come at bad times.

I just don't know. I'm still rooting for Jalen, but with Amen coming back and Holiday playing great, Jalen is really going to have to start justifying his role. We are only missing an efficient perimeter scorer from being a complete team.

GotGame15 and HamJam like this.
  6. vince

vince Member

Let’s be honest here, in bygone years, a lot of the top HS players went to college, and then their stocks tumbled as they faced tougher competition; some eventually would not even be drafted to an NBA team. And there were also many who were not highly recruited that became lottery picks and great players in the NBA. Some highly regarded high school players were elite because they were simply more athletic, stronger, bigger, etc than their high school competitors.

Jalen Green is looking more like a good rotation player. He’s committed to improving defensively, which will keep him in the league for a long time. He’s got enough of a scoring punch to warrant being on the floor if he can be above water defensively.

For folks who want to trade him, why would you want to do that? I get it if he reels in a big fish, but I think he’d get the rockets just a serviceable rotation player, but no one who’d make much more of a difference. Green is already a serviceable rotation player, perhaps we should embrace that and hope that with confidence he can be a lot better, but at least don’t hold your breath.

The Rockets have Cam Whitmore and Amen Thompson who could step into his spot if he does regress. So there is legitimate young talent ion the team waiting their turn.

it doesn’t sound like he’s a bad personality in the locker room, he sounds coachable, he has shown an improved commitment to defense, and he plays within the offensive game-plan designed by the coach.

HamJam, Roomba, cmlmel77 and 2 others like this.
  7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

This is the bottom line for me.

Somehow, some folks around here think we get something great in return for a guy, if traded, that we basically gave up on.
    When in the world do other teams assign great value to such a player?

But if some GM loses his mind and offers someone like Jokic for Green, ok, sure!

Easy, Roomba and vince like this.
  8. Bo6

Bo6 Member

what's annoying about the Jalen Green haters is that they refuse to acknowledge any improvement on his game. He is unquestionably improved on the defensive end which was the #1 criticism of his play if you look up any previous thread about Green in the past 2 seasons. You can't improve every facet of your game at the same time, it's clear that Jalen is focusing on the defensive end and we are a top 5 unit with him playing a majority of the minutes. The goal-posts seemingly change for him for reasons that I still believe are beyond the basketball court ( one doesn't need to look far to see all the le fingernail paint comments).

There are completely valid concerns about his game, his handle is terrible, he forces bad shots at times, and he his jumper is very inconsistent. But as other posters have pointed out, what are you trading him for that is going to make this team better now and in the future? Whether you like it or not, our best option is to help Green become a better player now and I don't think throwing him under the bus after every bad game is conducive to positive development. He is a GenZ 21 year old and I would be shocked if he isn't aware of everything that's being said about him.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

2.5 turnovers per game is not good for a shooting guard. I believe the average is something like 1.2. Jalen’s turnover are pretty much the same as last year despite having the ball in his hands less. It’s definitely a problem. Lots of those turnovers happen because of his poor handles.

I do think Jalen has improved in other areas. We need to give him props for his shooting improvement.

Roomba likes this.
  10. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Speaking of Aaron Brooks...Jalen ever gets a smooth handle like his and it's over for the league...one can dream

vince and daywalker02 like this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

His D has gotten a lot better for sure, but his fundamentals haven't, and his low BBall IQ is not something that happens quickly if at all....

I don't think anyone is saying BUST - Hasheem Thabeet style here - just not a guy that will warrant a large contract going forward. My point about trading him is simply because I believe other teams will steal him for free if we make him a RFA and I would rather get something for him now, if we can, even if it is just a mid to low FRP....it is more than nothing.

If the org decides to keep him and he steadily improves on an MLE contract level - ok, that works too, but I do believe when his contract is up, and he is 22 years old someone will bet on his untapped potential and OVERPAY him forcing us to either tie up too much cap room for an average Green or let him walk for nothing.

That is entirely my thinking there.

DD

GotGame15, Y2JT and evo8lover like this.
  12. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

He's on a rookie contract. I don't understand why anybody wants to trade him now.

Best Case Scenario: Jalen finds his groove and matures into a top 10 player.
    2nd Best Scenario: Jalen matures into a top 50 player but Cam and/or Amen supplant Jalen next year we sign Jalen to a big contract (200mm+) and then trade him for an all-star caliber player to fill a more pressing need.
    Worst Scenario: Jalen doesn't get much better than he is now and we trade him at his 4mm contract value or he walks for nothing.

I don't know why folks advocate trading him now. You'd get nothing in return.

Easy likes this.
  13. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I know folks will never get on board with this, but, Aaron has a better handle than Jalen, is a much better defender, and a more reliable spot up shooter. The team may legit be better if we start Holiday over Jalen.

evo8lover likes this.
  14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Brooks or Holiday, I'm confused

15. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

oh, my bad -- I thought they were talking about Aaron Holiday.

I was talking about Aaron Holiday.

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think it's hard to improve dribbling fundamentals, Jaylen Brown still has this problem years later. Jalen's problem is exasperated by his lack of weight because he gets bumped off balance too easily causing his handles to be looser.

I think if he gained some weight, it would help shield the ball a lot better.

Aruba77, Ancient Moabite and Mathloom like this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

i don't see weight being much of the primary factor. two of lightest players in the league are the best ball handlers in the world in curry/kyrie

GotGame15 likes this.
  18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Definitely not a primary factor, it just helps imo when you have weak handles and it helps shield you better

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

he losses the ball a lot even when nobody is reaching or bumping him. a lot of it is him needing to actually continuing to work at it and being under control. he isn't know to have fancy dribble breakdowns or fakes. He primarily tries to just use his quickness to go left or right straight towards the basket. his intermediate handling while playing at different speeds is what needs work and will go a long way. i've heard him talk about this during the offseason so at least he's aware

apollo33 and Ancient Moabite like this.
  20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

His problem is that he doesn't play in control. He puts his head down and tries to outrun everybody. That worked his first few seasons due to volume and lack of scouting. Its his third year, teams have figured him out AND with Ime he's no longer getting free reign to put up 25 bad shots a game.

Jalen definitely has the talent, he just makes horrendously poor decisions. He loses the ball because he consistently drives into the help defense and forces up prayers. In spite of that he's going like 4-15 in games and not 0-15 from talent and athleticism alone. He makes some truly crazy shots that he has no business of making.

I know KPJ is no longer a Rocket but with a similar talent set and worse athleticism KPJ was a much more effective finisher because he had a floater, change of pace in the paint, and control. (Or at least seemed like it I didn't look up stats maybe his TS is worse). Jalen will either jack up a three or drive into the paint all the way with two dribbles and attempt a layup -- no change of direction, no change of pace incredibly predictable and defenses can funnel him to wherever they want him to go. Jalen has the potential, Ime needs to unlock it and stop him from making dumbass decisions. At the very least he needs to be showcased so we can trade him at least.

DaDakota likes this.