1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to trade Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rvo384, Nov 28, 2023.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

When your star SG has more turnovers than field goals made, you have a problem.

2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Nobody that wants to trade him thinks he would bring an all star back in return all on his own. Yeah right.

clutchdabear and T for 3 like this.
  3. T for 3

T for 3 Member

We should be at least exploring the market. We will definitely get some decent draft compensation, but I think the biggest benefit would be an addition by subtraction scenario similar to when we finally dumped KPJ. Green gone means Tari finally gets the minutes he deserves and Whitmore can be moved into a reserve roll.

Y2JT, fattz and NewAge like this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't see a return of an all-star.

Jalen is NOT the centerpiece of a trade that nets you a star. He's just matching salary the team on the other end will roll the proverbial dice on for a year.

Any team taking Jalen in return for a star is going to be asking for another young player and significant draft assets.

GotGame15 likes this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

So why would Rox trade him then? Seems like a dumb move to me.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

He has more games with less than 10 than 30 or more.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Which is why I don't think he'll be traded, he has no trade value, there would be no point unless you find a sucker that actually thinks Jalen is a potential star. There's plenty of marks like that here, but I doubt you'd find one as the GM of another team.

fattz and NewAge like this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

I doubt it. Jalen does things for us which Tari can't do which is secondary playmaker and initiate PnRs with Sengun. If Jalen is such a bad player Ime would have benched him like he did with Jock and Bollocks.

#368 roslolian, Dec 3, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
  9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You trade him if you no longer believe he is part of your future.

The idea is to get something rather than nothing when he walks away as a free agent that you don't bother to match.

fattz likes this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

According to your scenario he wouldn't get you anything in fact you'd lose something by trading him since you'd give up significant assets for what is most probably a flawed star.

Anybody who knows what they are talking about wouldn't even say Jalen should be traded at this point as his extension is still 2 yrs away. Maybe he becomes a bust or maybe he breaks out, trading him now before you find out is just dumb IMO, his trade value is low and if he breaks out you just played yourself. Regardless whether you believe in him or not getting rid of him now is the epitome of buy high sell low.

#370 roslolian, Dec 3, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

OG more a possibility than Bridges simply because of their contract status.

OG has a player option for next year at $19.9m and probably opts out, essentially making him an expiring contract that Toronto will have to up the ante to keep as an UFA. It's more likely than not he plays elsewhere next year.

Bridges is locked into a team friendly deal for the next two seasons after this one. Unless he demands a trade, I can't see the Nets moving him unless some team offers them a significant overpay.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

So you'd rather continue to "try and develop" a player who isn't likely to actually develop?
    Just keep giving the guy minutes at the expense of the team and the ability to develop someone who might actually contribute to winning?

That sounds like the definition of insanity to me - doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome.

Risingred likes this.
  13. isaacjunk

isaacjunk Member

Sounds like you think he will peak short of the star-level needed for the critical 3-stars == championship run? Sengun is the closest we have, gotta hope Amen and Jabari step up then

14. Risingred

Risingred Member

We shouldn't trade JG because we won't get anything significant in return. On the other hand, it's unfair to other Rockets' players that his poor plays lost us a few games this year. I'm all for reducing his minutes. He's not ready to play almost 32 minutes per game.

Holybats, NewAge and Bobbythegreat like this.
  15. NewAge

NewAge Member

It would put even more offensive onus on Sengun if you are subbing Eason for Green. We need to see if he’s up to it.

Also, maybe Jabari can cook a bit more. We’ll also see more of Memphis Dillon, which at this point I am not even sure is a downgrade offensively from Green…

T for 3 likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

FWIW I don’t think the Rockets have a single star - not to mention three. Sengun is the closest right now, but I don’t know if he will be an all star or a real franchise player.

Right now I am leaning towards Sengun being an all star but not quite franchise player - with Smith and Green have a chance at going to some all star games.

Right now the Rockets lack a franchise player and it’s hard to win a lot of games without one.

isaacjunk, Deuce and topfive like this.
  17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Your "something" sounds like nothing. You said in the previous post that he would just be a salary match. So you are ready to dump him for pretty much nothing. Am I right?

Trading Jalen Green now is the classic kneejerk sell low move, like those folks who sold all their stocks in 2008.

18. ExTexanNowEastCoast

If you trade JG4, you have no one who can consistently get to the rim. Instead, you become even more dependent on a bunch of no names and undrafted players, plus shot chucker, undersized FVV and dumb Dillon Brooks.

Plus, based on the morons on this board, JG4 sucks so why would anyone give you anything for him? They would just wait for him to leave on his own and get him on the cheap.

That way they can stick it to Houston while also getting a good young player on the cheap.

roslolian likes this.
  19. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I agree with all of this. Dillon isn't taking enough shots. Jabari isn't taking enough shots...I am ok with putting more on those guys. I always begging Alpi to look for his shot more...

20. T for 3

T for 3 Member

So, I see what you are saying but I think the problem is that we are all hoping Jalen will do those things you mentioned (secondary playmake, initiate PnR's) but he doesn't. He is extremely inconsistent. He may have a quarter every once in awhile where he does those things, and when he does the Rockets can beat anyone in the NBA, but more often than not he is not doing those things.

Corrosion likes this.