1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CFB Playoff Rankings

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Oct 28, 2014.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I think the right decision was made, it’s rare that the final selection is agreed upon across the board.

Alabama just defeated the two-time reigning national champion on a 29-game win streak. Beating the best team in the country has to have kind of value to it.

Texas caught a big break, because UGA was practically undefeated through the entire season only losing to the new #4 Alabama. But, Texas did give Alabama, their only loss of the season. FSU ran the tables in ACC.

Georgia’s only sin was losing a winner take all game against historic foe, Alabama. Th

ESPN computer: Michigan Ohio State Penn State Oregon /// Losing out Florida State, Washington, Georgia, Texas, Alabama

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...-rankings-leave-college-football-fans-baffled

Congrove: FBS (computer) — Michigan, Florida State Washington, Georgia////
    Losing out: Ohio State, Alabama, Texas
    https://www.collegefootballpoll.com/rankings/

Sagarin: Michigan, Oregon, Ohio State, and Texas. Losing out/// Penn State, Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma…Washington and Oregon are at the dead end of the top end.

sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

I don’t think adding more teams will necessarily solve the problems immediately. The problem with the entire BCS scenario and even the whole history of college football is that a good bit of the top 25 teams don’t actually play each other through the season. They are often playing weaker D-I programs and D-II schools, because many of the higher tier conferences are pretty tough to run the table through. Even, the best teams can lose 1 or 2, especially if the championship game is a strong rival.

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I’m not surprised.

1) FSU doesn’t look dominant anymore and the rules give them an out based on injuries, which is logical.

2) I’ll be shocked if the SEC champ is ever left out.

3-10) The possibility of Texas playing for the title in Houston. Never forget this is all about $$, not football.

3. Buck Turgidson

Alabama and Georgia travel and spend just as much as UT does.

4. Icehouse

Not when the game is in state. And both are used to winning now and won’t travel as well or spend as much as the local team that hasn’t been in over a decade.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Nah UGA/Bama fans would come out full force like they always do.

And wouldn’t it be the opposite? Out of state folks will make it a multi-day trip spending on hotels, restaurants, etc…Houstonians won’t have to pay for hotels or feel the need to go out. Dallas/Austin folks make a 1 night stay at most.

Astrodome likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

I loved when dorkboy Finebaum said earlier this year at the UT/Bama game that "I've seen SEC money before, but now I've seen Texas money and there's no comparison...I've never seen so much money in one room before in my entire life"

ROCKSS and gucci888 like this.
  7. Icehouse

No to both. Demand is always higher when you haven’t been in forever. And UT fans from all over the state will come here to be in the mix, even without tickets. Those folks are still sleeping at a family members and out spending $$.

Texas/Michigan is Houston’s wet dream.

TheRealist137 and Stephen66 like this.
  8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ask the 2023 Final Four organizers how that turned out

9. Buck Turgidson

Michigan vs Texas is a bit different than a Final Four of:

San Diego State
    Florida Atlantic
    Connecticut
    Miami

10. Icehouse

Woulda turned out great if Texas made it.

11. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was referencing how happy the organizers would've been if Texas had beaten Miami in the elite eight.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. gucci888

Not sure what to tell you if you think Bama fans are gonna sit this one out because their last Natty was only 3 years ago.

You are saying Texas is in the CFP because of money despite the wide majority saying they were a Top 4 team.

13. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

If the selection committee ruled Alabama over FSU because of key injury and strength of schedule, then Georgia should have been 5th and FSU 6th by the same reasoning.

mtbrays and gucci888 like this.
  14. gucci888

At that point maybe not wanting to rub salt into the wound IMO.

#1254 gucci888, Dec 4, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
  15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

As somebody who moonlights in the ticket brokering business, I can tell you he's absolutely right as it relates to ticket prices/demand.

In terms of overall revenue for Houston, I don't know. Probably a wash.

But yes, large success starved fanbases create the most ticket demand.

An A&M vs. Nebraska natty might see the highest ticket prices in the history of college athletics.

16. Icehouse

I didn't say sit it out. I said not have as many people/support as an in-state team that hasn't won in over a decade.

Yes, I 2000% believe $$ is a factor in all of these bowl selections. You don't?

17. gucci888

Are you saying UT doesn’t get in if the game wasn’t in Texas? And if starved fan bases are gonna spend more, shouldn’t the CFP put in FSU over Bama?

Not saying money isn’t a factor in these decisions but saying UT got in because of it is discrediting them completely IMO. Especially when the consensus was that they deserved to be after Saturday’s games.

#1257 gucci888, Dec 4, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
  18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Not if you simply alter the criteria you said you relied on to reach whatever the desired result was.

Rileydog likes this.
  19. gucci888

Meant revenue to the host city, agree that it would be a wash.

As far as ticket demand/prices, the folks who profit directly from sales are locked in on face value prices correct? Increased demand effects resale?

20. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member