1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to trade Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rvo384, Nov 28, 2023.

1. maypk

maypk Member

lol. People don't heavily criticize Dillon, FVV or Sengun because most of the times they deliver. It's not just one game thing. Jalen just disappears when the game is on the line. That's a fact. And a worrisome fact.

#101 maypk, Nov 29, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
    csc177 and Entropy like this.
  2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I like Cam. A steal at #20. I just hope he learns to play in a team dynamic. Since he has a real head coach to start off and won't have a season or two wasted on a head coach hired for an ability to preserve draft picks, I have hope.

3. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I’m not sure Green is going to pan out, but you all have too much tunnel vision and overreact to the most recent game. Yes, he’s extremely inconsistent, but to say he’s worthless is an extreme overreaction at this point.

majicdonjuan and Dobbizzle like this.
  4. verysimplejason

JG isn't a hopeless case. Besides, he's cheap. Give him 2 or 3 more seasons. He's on a very good contract. Also, he's a good chap and coachable. He just needs to realize some things. If you're able to give KPJ and Brooks a chance, why not JG?

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Green fans:
    * Talking about trading Green = blaming everything on Green
    * Being 21 means that you lose the handle any time you change direction
    * Being 21 means that you are passive most of the time
    * Being 21 means that you finish at 30% within 3-5 feet of the basket
    * Jalen did 1-2 good things in [game x]
    * Jalen averages [x points] (no mention of any shooting splits or efficiency metrics)

Have I hit all of the common debate points for Green fans?

I'm begging for Jalen to find a way to fit in and have some consistency. But I'm also not going to lose my mind when someone wants to talk trade value. The harder question is - what would trade return actually be? Not sure it would make sense for the Rockets.

I think at this point we as fans have to rely on Udoka to work with Green and either find ways for him to be confident and assertive at key moments, or reduce his minutes accordingly and find another guy to challenge him for minutes.

6. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

charlieaustin, napalm06, Bo6 and 3 others like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He isn't a steal anymore if he disappoints.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This has been America in the last decade....people are not able to take the middle road, they have to resort to extreme opinions.

3x down on those.

majicdonjuan and OmegaSupreme like this.
  9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't like Jalen Green, but what are you going to get for him? Most likely a non-lottery 1st rounder. I'd rather stick it out with Green for now.

Y2JT and Patience like this.
  10. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Basically, we can't beat good teams unless Jalen is at least serviceable. Too often he is just bad. I know he is young, but I often find myself wishing he wasn't on the court in crunch time. He hurts us too often. Then he has one great game, and when he has great games we are damn near unbeatable. It is so frustrating.

Rvo384 and charlieaustin like this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Look Green just isn't very good at basketball.

He lacks simple fundamentals in his game - his handle is poor, his left hand is weak, he struggles knowing where to be and when - his BBall IQ is low.

The guy just show NEVER have been a number 2 pick, he needs YEARS of work in the lab, and honestly he is a FOURTH year pro he should be a lot better by now, and he isn't.

If we are TRYING TO WIN, he is HURTING THE TEAM - and he deserves to go to the bench.....How about a starting lineup of:

PG - FVV
    SG - Brooks
    SF - Eason
    PF - Bari
    C - SuperGun

Let Jalen come off the bench, that team above can win more often and Jalen can learn how to play basketball off the bench.

DD

charlieaustin likes this.
  12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

seriously we gonna go through this song and dance after every game. He just had 2 good games before this and everyone's gloating. It's really tiresome

Patience likes this.
  13. Bo6

Bo6 Member

you guys do realize zach lavine in his prime put up this stat line last night? 2 points on 1-9 shooting.

whether you like it our not, Jalen has been apart of our best team in 3 years. You guys asked him to start playing "winning basketball" and now use the counting stats against him. The discourse on him is nauseating and very clear that some posters have set agenda against him for reason beyond the basketball court.

He is, and has been, a very streaky offensive player.. but this is the first year he actually is producing in other areas of the court. We have the best defensive rating in the NBA and he is a core member of that starting group who is on the floor a majority of the game. We were one of the worst defenses last year with largely the same players.

As it stands we are 8-7 with 3-4 last minute losses. If you asked any fans if that would be a good record before the season 15 games yes, 99% would have said yes. So I am wondering now, what were your expectations of Jalen before the season and what are they now? Because they seem to change every single game.

#113 Bo6, Nov 29, 2023
    Patience likes this.
  14. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I'm responding to you because your post was directly after mine, so I'm taking a leap here and assuming that you were responding to my post.

I didn't mention anything about a "franchise/cornerstone" player when mentioning Jalen, although IMHO you should hope/expect something close to it with the second pick! I mean you are picking right after the pick of the litter (right?), and he's being viewed by your peers pretty much in the same light, a consensus ELITE PLAYER to a certain degree! I understand that picking in the draft isn't a math problem that you can figure out with precision, but picking with the second pick hoping that you get a serviceable starting player is not sound reasoning in my book!

Every year teams try to move up into the lottery picks.... why? To get that next gem (Sengun) or to get a mediocre player? I think we both know why...

Like I said in my previous post, we should strive to get the most value from that second pick. IF we were to trade him right now, do you think we could get a lottery pick? More than likely IMHO we could get a low first round pick if we play our cards right.

Once again, I'm not saying we should trade Jalen, but it's not absurd to think about it....

Go Rockets!!!

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

When Eason came back, I thought he deserved being in the starting lineup. Honestly, even if you think Green deserves to start, there is a good argument to be had for him to come off the bench. My expectation is that a 6th man role is one of his better outcomes at this point. Let him be a Lou Williams/Jamal Crawford type.

joshuaao, DaDakota and charlieaustin like this.
  16. csc177

csc177 Member

I don’t think he’ll pan out here either, when this team does content for a deep playoff run he won’t be in the picture - and hopefully we received the piece to supplement Jabari and Sengun in return.

17. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

Yep.

I mean I believe the rox should at least listen to offers. There's no question the dude is talented, but I keep thinking about this...

He just lays there...on the ground and lets someone stand over and taunt him. The whole interaction was for 5 to 7 seconds, but for anyone who saw that play live... it seemed like an eternity. I haven't looked at Jalen the same since.

Can someone that just lays there and takes that lead the team? This guy can be anything from Cory Brewer to CJ McCollum to Clyde. I have to really, really squint my eyes to see Clyde though.

I really don't know what the rox should do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edit: a word

#117 OmegaSupreme, Nov 29, 2023
    BamBam and daywalker02 like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I will put some context to this....Jonathan Isaac that Magic player was coming off 1 or 2 seasons of injury......of course he is looking to be empathic and revive his career....

Unfortunate for Green though.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  19. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Same ol ****. Just a different day!

20. OnlyRockets

OnlyRockets Member

Hater detected. More evidence that our fan base despises our star player with intensity.

You simply don't deserve HIM.