1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Running the offense through Alpi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Oct 25, 2023.

1. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I implore you to watch the game again and notice when the scoring and general fluidity of the offense halted. I don’t think that’s Jalen and Jabari’s fault. Jabari played like **** and Green didn’t look that good. But first game jitters I don’t think it should be considered. The first week really shouldn’t be considered. But when we ran through Sengun, he got guys open looks, he got buckets — started 6 for 6 and first miss was a tip attempt.

fact is, when Sengun gets doubled he knows what to do with it. When green gets doubled it usually results in a TO or bad shot.

Thats where we are today. Doesn’t mean green can’t dramatically improve. But today, he isn’t the more impactful player on EITHER end of the floor.

2. TimDuncanDonaut

I'm generally not a stat chaser for players. Team wins over individual stats; but if Rockets end up with a lackluster season; i like to see Sengun at least get this for the organization. Bring that record to HOU.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Imagine if the Rockets didn't prioritize like 8 worse players over him in the pecking order

daywalker02, HardenReturns and maypk like this.
  4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

there's no reason why this offense can't succeed.

use AL-P at the top of the key and everyone else is setting off-ball screens and cutting. Jalen would be getting 6-12 easy points a games on cuts / lobs. jabari + brooks + fvv are all capable of being proficient catch & shoot players.

the really only thing that truly unlocks this is Alperen being able to constantly make 3's at at least a confident 35%. opposing defenders would be able to sag too much otherwise.

we don't really have creative players so let's run a system. let's make the reads easy for the players.

5. maypk

maypk Member

Keep embarrassing yourself little bro

6. maypk

maypk Member

It'd be nice if Jalen and Jabari can make 3's a confident 35%.

Bo6 and GotGame15 like this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

three to four more games max to get there

8. invocux

invocux Member

He is probably already better defender than Sabonis and more versatile than him in the post. Sabonis is better rebounder and better playmaker. I'd honestly be shocked if he doesn't surpass Sabonis in 3 years.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Your understanding and use of the word literally is embarrassing.

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Liked by @SamFisher, @topfive, etc.

Invoking the name of Alperen Sengun in the context of running the offense through him in a Adelman-esque system was never insane. A ton of posters on here made it seem like it was.

The goalposts are moving on the daily. Posters above calling @Mattician's thoughts "insane", when they were ABSOLUTELY ON THE F'ING MONEY.

If the SOFs fans are bad, how about the folks calling ideas as simple as "What does Denver run with Jokic and Adelman's boy" insane?

#110 RudyTBag, Nov 22, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
  11. topfive

topfive CF OG

I never had a problem with people saying we should employ Alpi in a manner similar to the way the Nugs use Jokic. My beef was with people implying that Alpi had the skills that the current best player on the entire planet does. There's a world of difference between the two guys right now, but hopefully Alpi will come pretty close in a few years.

Also, running ANY kind of system through ANY player on a Silas-coached team was pretty pointless, so there's that. :D

Dobbizzle likes this.
  12. Tadow

Tadow Member

Haha 1 month later. Sengun is CLEARLY the best player on this team

13. invocux

invocux Member

Hmmm you like Sengun therefore you are a Sengun only fan

RudyTBag likes this.
  14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Look at Mattician's perfectly reasonable post that Derp shat on, that you endorsed.

15. Tadow

Tadow Member

I like all our youngsters! Just thought the hot takes were pretty ridiculous in this thread

16. invocux

invocux Member

Do you honestly want me to believe that you like Green? Tell me his favourite nail polish brand then?

17. Tadow

Tadow Member

Haha no idea on that. I think Green will be alright though. He draws fouls at a good clip and he can go on scoring bursts. It almost seems like he's playing like a rookie this season decision making-wise, so yeah he should be further along, but I haven't given up on him.

invocux and Dobbizzle like this.
  18. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

It is interesting when you look at the numbers and realise that FVV is still very much "running the offense." Suggests to me that with how well Alpi's producing whilst getting similar touches to Green, if he had more parity with FVV instead (ie he gets more touches whilst Fred gets less) then we'd likely see his production jump up accordingly. No-question All-star if that happens most likely.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

"Nope" ;)

He was the best player on the team last year already. They just held him down.

cml750 and Downtown Sniper like this.
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

IDK. I think having another good playmaker on the floor is a positive, not a negative, for Sengun's game. You always want to have as many good passers and as many good shooters as possible. As long as those guys aren't selfish, it makes everybody's life easier. It forces the defense to pick their poison. They can't focus their attention on any one guy.