1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green max extension : 5 yrs - 260 MILLION !

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rolliepollie, Nov 20, 2023.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

BUT [CURRENT AGE]!

(Joking with the typical CFs response. But we know he hasn't hit his ceiling yet.)

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Well, this is why trades exist. Also, restricted free agency.

3. NewAge

NewAge Member

If they offer the Jewish kid, I'd be defo interested. Does a little bit of everything, shooting seems to be improved this year...

4. Holybats

Holybats Member

5. Risingred

Risingred Member

Cade has been playing pretty bad lately, and I believe he's leading in TOV. Scottie and Sengun are probably getting the max if they keep the current productions. Franz and Mobley may get the max depending on how their teams perform in the offseason. Cade may not get the max if he continues his poor performance. Jalen, unless he has a great leap in the remainder of the season, I don't think the Rockets will give him the max. The Rockets prioritize the development of KPJ over Jalen and it tells you they don't have high expectations that Jalen will turn out to be a star. Of course, they didn't have high expectations that Sengun would turn out to be a star as well, but now they probably have. On a side note, Josh Giddey has been falling off so much in the third year. Last year every media put Giddey before Green in the redraft, and the media looks silly as Green is still a better player of the two.

6. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

Jalen is rapidly becoming the other guy on the team named Green. Hope he gets untracked soon.

7. ExTexanNowEastCoast

Please tell me you are kidding. How in the hell is Duren going to play with Sengun and Smith? The Pistons are 2-13 with those guys.

Now, if you are telling me we can get Cade Cunningham, I might consider it.

8. ExTexanNowEastCoast

Umm, don't assume that Houston will be some FA hotspot. Also, who are the key FAs next season? Here is a list. Let me know who on this list you think (i) would sign with Houston and (ii) we would even want to sign

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/

My brief takes:

• LBJ is not going anywhere unless the Rockets somehow land Bronnie in the draft.
    • Kawai not coming here. Clearly he does not like Texas.
    • Kyle Lowry is old and fat.
    • Jrue Holiday would be nice, but his utilization is high and he is getting up there.
    • Paul George? I would just assume keep his younger version, Jabari Smith at a third of the cost.
    • Gordon Heyward? I thought that MF had retired?
    • I will take Buddy Hield for sure, but so will everyone else. I was at the Hawks-Pacers game last night, and based on his play, I doubt they let him leave.
    • Pascal Siakam, maybe. I don't know but I feel like he is sort of overrated. I bet if the Raptors season keeps descending as it is, that not only will he get traded, but that Massai Ujiri ends up leaving too. I am more than happy to swap GMs with the Raptors in that case.

9. ExTexanNowEastCoast

Idiotic statement.

i3artow i3aller and Tfor3 like this.
  10. ExTexanNowEastCoast

Speaking of the Hawks-Pacers game, I was watching Tyrese Haliburton just dominating the game with points and assists, and I was thinking about his development an where JG4 is. The Kings traded Haliburton for Sabonis, thinking Haliburton would never develop into a top 10 to 15 player. OOPS!!

Yeah, so, people need to take it easy. It would be a totally Houston thing to trade some guy before he turns into a star. We did it with Joe Morgan, Felix Rodriguez, Bobby Abreu, Elvin Hayes, Johan Santana, etc. Our city always seems to make these sorts of stupid mistakes.

Without a superstar perimeter player next to Sengun, we will never win at a high level. Look at how Denver is playing without Jamal Murray? It is like the old saying, "Michael may be MVP of the league, but Scottie is MVP of the Bulls".

i3artow i3aller and Dobbizzle like this.
  11. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

The Hoops Collective had an interesting chat about this today. The consensus was that Sengun should the max and Green should not.

check out the conversation at 1:12:00 for Sengun and Green specifically. The whole conversation about rookie extensions is interesting.

#91 Houston77, Nov 22, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
    i3artow i3aller likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not think they were low on Haliburton but it was either ownership or FO that was impatient.

They made a decision on keeping Fox, they just never thought Haliburton was going to become as good as Fox or better than Fox in such a short time span.

On Clutchfans, most of us saw the potential of that dude.

Here on this team the SG position is wide open, I do not see anyone close to Fox or Haliburton.

NewAge likes this.
  13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Everyone called that a terrible trade at the time. Go back and look at threads here about that trade. People lamented the fact that we didn’t get him.

Haliburton as a rookie shot over 40% from 3, 85% free throw shooter, 5 ast/gm and 47% fg percentage.

They traded him in the middle of his second season when he was really taking off.

Jalen has never had a season as good as Halliburton’s worse season which was when he was a 20 yr old rookie.

Their trajectories have never matched on paper or the eye test. If Jalen had shown anything near what Halliburton had by this point this wouldn’t even be a discussion.

Stop the insanity.

#93 xtruroyaltyx, Nov 22, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
  14. i3artow i3aller

I find it funny that Bontemps is so staunchly against Green given that he also thinks DET should max Cade :confused::D:rolleyes:

Tfor3 and Houston77 like this.
  15. NewAge

NewAge Member

Halliburton was light years ahead of Green when he was traded. SAC was correct that the Fox/Halliburton pairing was redundant, so opted for an All-Star big.

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

lol...

welp... here ya go, kids!

This is the flippity of 'lets tank and get a superstar or two' mentality...

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There should be incentive based extensions like making the All Star Game, showing up in more than 3 Quarters.

Pay him for the Quarters he shows out.
    Performance based.

18. ExTexanNowEastCoast

No he wasn't. Look at their stats.

Put aside your anti-Green bias, and look at the numbers.

If we applied your standard to all young players, then basically unless you are a Jordan, Dream, Lebron, Shaq, Magic, Bird, Kareem type player that was dominant in their rookie year, there is no point in keeping them around. Smith and Alperen would be gone too.

Now, just imagine if OKC had traded Harden prior to his taking off.... oh wait!!!

Zen Tabak and i3artow i3aller like this.
  19. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Who is your source within the King's front office which divulged that information to you?

Or was it simply because their star is already a guard and they needed a big man to suit him better?

Lulz.

20. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Who posts this kind of crap after a blowout win? Grow up.

cbass, Tfor3 and i3artow i3aller like this.