1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime needs to give Jalen.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, Nov 18, 2023.

1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Cam? Lol uh no. Unproven rookie who has yet to play meaningful minutes. not to mention a player who doesn't play team basketball. that's a recipe for disaster. There’s a reason Cam hasn’t played lol. Jalen has grown defensively and is finding ways to help the team win.

But what Green needs to improve is his paint scoring inside the restricted area. He shot 55% last year inside the RA and 53% inside 5 ft. He needs to get this up to at least 58-60%. The dominant vet guards in the league are shooting 58-75% in the RA. He also needs to improve his mid range to at least 42-45% after shooting 39% last year. Dominant guards are shooting 45-49% mid range.

DatRocketFan and Ancient Moabite like this.
  2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

That’s like saying Let’’s try to get Garuba back and give Sengun some competition when he commits 6 TO again lol. Some fans make no damn sense

3. albuster

albuster Member

I like this post. As CJ Stroud said about being an MVP candidate, "They may love me this week, but hate me next week". It's a long season that has its ups and downs that happens even among the best teams in the NBA. Let's give them some time.

4. Tadow

Tadow Member

He's gonna explode in about about a month and there will be debates about who the main cog is between Alpi and him again. He's learning how to play team basketball after 3 years of garbage

Ancient Moabite and Stephen_A like this.
  5. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

You yourself admitted that Jalen just started playing team basketball this year under Ime, correct? What makes you think Cam can't do the same? If you want to play, you conform.

The same way Jabari got a shock by not closing games, I think Jalen needs a shock as well. I think if this were Popovich, it probably wouldn't be Cam but it definitely wouldn't be Green closing games if this continued.

You can not be a guard in the NBA and shy away from the big moments. The ball is in your hands! If you go back and look at the final 5:00 mins of the last game, he was doing just that. He has to be more aggressive. He was getting to the free throw line, why stop? If your shot is off, keep doing what work. He drove once on a fastbreak. He kept deferring to FVV. Jalen is taller, quicker, he needs to make the refs blow their whistle.

DaDakota and NewAge like this.
  6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I hope you are right....Im praying for that!

7. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

No its not. KPJ had talent and he was a good 2-Guard, trying to be a PG. I beleive if he were here the Rockets would be a better team, especially their bench.

And just like I said about Jabari conforming, I believe KPJ would have too. All players want to play! BTW, its not like Jalen is playing at a star level and I think the competition would have made him play better.

Sittonsideways and HD729 like this.
  8. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

When you turn the ball over twice, miss a layup and a 3pt shot in the last 5:00 mins the brunt of that lost falls upon your shoulders

PeterKingX, jim1961 and GotGame15 like this.
  9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

You prob never played sports then and I wouldn’t want to be your team mate if this is how you think basketball should be.

10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Thats your opinion but I did play sports.

11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

A. KPJ never played 2 for Houston.
    B. KPJ was erratic in his decision making
    C. Players are gone for a reason and players don’t play for a reason. If you have secret info that KPJ would conform or Cam whitmore is a great player and the coaching staff is pleased with him then please let us know what you know

12. Ancient Moabite

Were you game planned for? Did your team depend on you to do what you claim Green didn't do? Or were you that good that you delivered in the final 5 minutes every time your team needed you to?

If your answer is yes to each ?, then you are incredible and the Rockets should sign you to a 10 day deal ASAP

Stephen_A likes this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Ime needs to give Jalen a seat on the bench next to him.

Give some of those minutes to ....

14. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Ive been saying it! He's turning the ball over, running away from shots at the end of games, making bad decisions.....like I said, he needs to give Cam a try, how much worse can it be?

PeterKingX likes this.
  15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Guys! Jalen is playing bad.

PeterKingX and napalm06 like this.
  16. NewAge

NewAge Member

right…
    Bullock was really balling just a couple of years ago for NY, is he just about to hang them up, I don’t what the deal with him is?
    Whitmore is just a rookie, I wouldn’t be closing games with him, but would try to squeeze a few minutes here for him and there to see how he responds…
    Given the improved effort, I think Jalen deserves a longer leash, but he’s defo the weak link right now…

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

For the organization it can be worse because of timing and contractual decisions/long term investments.

The Rockets are still a rebuilding team until we get star players. They have to play this first half of the season out with Jalen because they have to make a decision this summer on extending him. If they wait too long and he becomes a RFA that’s a pretty big gamble.

You have the luxury with Cam to steadily give him minutes as the season goes on. I think we might actually see him get Tari’s minutes as early as tonight even, and Ime is going to ask him to be solid on D first and foremost if he wants to extend his minutes later on.

But the fact is we have to let the Jalen thing play out till the trade deadline then I think rather than bench him it might be best for the Rockets to look at trades that put Jalen in a better situation for him to be the best version of himself he can be and get the rockets back a better fitting young player for them.

I also kind of think he went out on Saturday in LA and was playing with a hangover. That’s what last night looked like to me knowing the track record for the Lakers homecourt advantage against young teams. It’s widely known that younger NBA players always party it up on west coast road trips and that just is what it is. Could be wrong but that’s my hunch. The guy is still very young and just turned of age to drink and party.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I agree, but who is the question.

Cam? Tari? Holiday? Williams or Hinton?

No great choices here at the 2.

Corrosion likes this.
  19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

We have a conundrum at the 2 spot right now because we aren't fully contenders, but we're on the precipice. Meanwhile Jalen and Amen are both raw dough. Can't open the restaurant yet.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Give Bullock a go then...Jalen needs a dose of pine...

DD