1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime needs to give Jalen.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, Nov 18, 2023.

1. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

As Daywalkers has said, Brogdon would be nice. Of the price is right. I think I'd still rather use our limited assets on a rim protector

2. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

That’s facts, and I’d prefer Jalen get some clutch reps now, while he’s still developing. It’ll help us all in the long run

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm fine with blaming refs for that loss. Many of the clippers stops late game were uncalled fouls, so who knows what other bigly rigged play would surface.

Hope he feels like **** for the last minutes though. Make him learn that can't abuse his motor if his brain can't keep up with his body.

Be a better student of the game, yadda yadda.

4. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Young team is young, Clippers weren't going to be allowed to lose 6 in a row, they weren't going 79-3.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Imagine saying this about a player who has gotten stronger, improved his defense and finished the night with 20 points on 16 shots while going to the line 10 times (making 9 of them). Because after winning 6 straight with Jalen being a team player, we lost 1 game against the Clippers on the road where Jalen had a couple of frustrating plays. It's almost as though OP is waiting for any window to barf out some insecurities.

You just have to keep telling yourself to wait 20 games. They screwed up his development for 2 YEARS, so it's ok that he needs 20 games. We have that.

Yes I know you're tired of hearing it, but that just means you're crazy on the inside. It doesn't mean it's a tired excuse when you haven't even waited for it to happen lol. You have a problem with waiting 20 games is what's really happening. Because it hasn't been 20 games. You're like a child who gets told to wait till 5pm to go to the park but has a b*tch fit every hour from 8am to 5pm. It's going to be 20-30 games. That has always been the case. The reason we say wait 20 games is because those 20 games will look... you guessed it.. inconsistent.

Maybe you just don't know enough about development, so I'll give you the benfit of the doubt and explain it to you. Habits scientifically require weeks and months to eliminate. Good habits also require weeks and months to install. Ime Udoka knows this and said as much. It's not a function of effort alone. It's just a function of repetition. It requires weeks and months of repetition, trial, error, correction. You do NOT know how to do it faster than this or better than this. You can NOT see things Ime Udoka can't see. This method is proven to be successful in developing habits and getting rid of bad ones in the NBA. All the good development franchises do it. There's a clear point where you should give up on someone who's not developing, and it's not 1 month into trying to change their habits. Don't be paranoid either, if it doesn't work, they will just get rid of him. They're not stupid, they are just good at being patient or decisive when needed.

Get that insecurity and OCD under control OP. Genuinely, it's not good for you. It's not good what it does to your brain and nervous system. We've already spoken to you about how this related to your past. Why do you keep making posts that open up these things and put them on full display? I really don't understand but I hope that you find our who you really are instead of being a robotic reaction to something that happened to you in the past.

#25 Mathloom, Nov 18, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2023
  6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

I'm a big Jalen supporter, but he lost us the game tonight, plain and simple. The fact is that We were ahead in the final stretch, and he made crucial mistakes to lose us the momentum.

He had good moments in this game, but he also had so many chances throughout the game to extend the lead, to keep the momentum, but he failed to do so. You just can't fumble the ball on a wide open dunk like that. We need him to be better, and hopefully he'll be against the Lakers. But this one's on him.

8. Wommy

Wommy Member

We saw improvement from him in this winning streak but he took a step back today. His low basketball IQ showed once again down the stretch.

Thank God we had Ime.

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Actually I've wondered about this myself for awhile but have not been able to find an official measurement anywhere.
    If someone has one please post it!
    Jalen might be another Will Fuller IV (tiny, baby, midget hands).

But as to dribbling the ONLY way to get better at it is to isolate that one movement and practice it over and over and over.
    Some players might not like to do that because of pride.

I know Jalen had always been called a hard worker wherever he's been but you can work hard but NOT work smart!
    Jalen needs to spend (on non game days) 1 hour a day practicing nothing but dribbling exercises and 1 hour practicing layups and angles and such!

Someone needs to tell him this.
    Ime, FVV, Alpe, Brooks, someone.
    Friends, don't let friends.............keep dribbling the ball out of bounds (and to the other team)!

HardenReturns likes this.
  10. fattz

fattz Member

Here is where change happens or doesn’t. Green is at a crossroads. As a Rocket fan, I hope Green gets a perspective that makes him personally grow and show a difference next game. Growing from losing keeps one from losing because losing not okay.

Green was out classed by a team of veterans All-Stars. Learn and change.

11. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

He just has really bad hands, both in dribbling and shooting. He generates some really good looks sometimes but his ability to finish those are so unrealiable. You know that feeling in a game where we swing to the wide open man from 3 and you stand up knowing it's just gonna go in? I don't get that from Jalen. His shot making ability just feels random. Like he can hit hard shots but he hits hard shots as well as he does easy ones. Usually if you have a 42% shooter, he's something like 30% on hard shots and 60% on easy ones but Jalen just feels like 42% on either.

Losmi_34 and apollo33 like this.
  12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

As Allen Payne said to Wesley Snipes in New Jack City....."We all we got"

There is no one else and think about it, if Jalen see that Ime has to turn to a ROOKIE to try and give him what he needs, that says a lot!

Jalen is in his third yr, we should expect more, HE should expect more.

fattz and GotGame15 like this.
  13. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Last 3 games, Jalen is shooting 27%. He shot 5 for 15 last game, how many of those 5 were layups?!?! Back to hiding.

Corrosion, HardenReturns and fattz like this.
  14. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

His jump shot is the biggest issue imo. It’s too streaky. He has opportunities last night in the 4th to hit daggers but he doesn’t. Most of his threes are open shots . If he could just hit majority of his open shots, he’d be averaging 25 this season but nope. Him and Jabari have the issue with their jump shot. You hope it’s youth. Malik monk was the same way his entire time with Charlotte for the most part. He figured it out in his 5th year and now he’s a bucket.

Easy likes this.
  15. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

How many of those were drives to basket with no calls. Jalen should be averaging SGA free throw number but the refs tend to swallow their whistle

albuster and roslolian like this.
  16. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

I’ve been a Jalen supporter but I do think it’s time to move on from him. Build around Segun. I’d offer the Brooklyn pics with Jalen see what we could fetch.

GotGame15 and HardenReturns like this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lol it's not like Jalen just coughed the ball, he got hit by Kawhi and there's no call. Prior that Harden pushed him in the air and he landed on his back. Again, no call. With every call that isn't called obviously it will look like he missed. What do you think Harden's career FG will if none of his shots get called for fts?

Jalen isn't a big dude like Sengun, Jabari or Tari, he has a slight frame and probably 6'5 at best. If he is gonna get hit and there's no foul then he currently lacks the strength to finish plays. He is only 21, give him time to bulk up and build core strength.

He is already much improved from his rookie year in the way he goes to the line and pays attention to defense. If you watched the game and not hate watching you'd see he had some great defensive reads especially on Zubats, blocked him on one shot and fronted him to prevent possessions a couple of times.

At the very least his improvement is much better than either Mobley or Cade, the other other prospects he was linked with.

albuster and Ancient Moabite like this.
  18. fattz

fattz Member

Green has grown more this season than his whole time as a Rocket. He is coachable and willing to play team basketball. We have to wait a while to see how much he can be. The Silas era and Covid (his fundamentals - youth) have really set him back. It has been stated he is a gym rat. With the right people and influences, hopefully positive things will happen. His trajectory much better than before.

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Exactly In 10 games under ime, green looks way better than he did under 2 whole season with silas. Granted his shots aren't efficient/landing man is playing and contributing to our teams success while making great stride on the defensive end. The haters like to ignore that and just focus on the negative aka his ts% and other stupid box score numbers and his lack of alpha personality.

albuster likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The one thing Jalen deserves credit for is that he's made some serious progress defensively. For the first 2 seasons of his career, he was an absolute joke....one of the worst defensive players in the entire league. This season thus far, he's been just kind of bad....that's a MASSIVE improvement.

He's still streaky offensively having 5 bad games for every 2 good games, but the defensive improvement is nice to see.....he still probably shouldn't be a starter, but until there's a valid alternative, he will have to stay in that role.

Corrosion and GotGame15 like this.