1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[No Dunks] Are the streaking Houston Rockets for real?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Nov 13, 2023.

1. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I think they had as good a chance of winning that game with AD as AD has of playing 82 games in a season. Sure it woulda been closer but the lakers were trash that game.. plus saying if AD plays is like saying if they had Michael Jordan cuz he's never available.

Arnel likes this.
  2. VanityHalfBlack

Nice production quality on the podcast but title No Dunks? Could've easily call it The Boomshakalaka podcast or something.

3. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

This is a legitimate question, because we have seen a 6 game win streak the past two years and it was not a sign of a good team. That is when the WOW factor was born during one of those streaks. It has been a while, so I do not recall how we won those games, it may have just been streaky shooting. I think the defense is a lot better, and that is why they are winning so I am hoping they can continue this vs. flame out like in prior years.

One thing that really stood out that Ime said during the post game conference after the Nuggets game, was that he said it took them 3 quarters to figure out what they were doing and how to respond to them. This is something we have not seen in a coach in over a decade.

I go to every game I can when the team is in town, and Silas would just stand near half court at TV time outs by himself seemingly just wondering off and day dreaming, he would rarely communicate with players during the game. D'Antoni was actually a much better coach than what I expected, I thought it was a bad hire and he ended up being a great fit and he unlocked prime Harden, but he admitted that he doesn't really make adjustments during the game, he usually would have a game plan and stick to it, and that is why I think we would struggle in the playoffs w Harden as well. Ime is the first coach we have had in a while that is competent enough to make adjustments on the fly, so I think this is a much better team.

JW86, Losmi_34, So Saith Red and 4 others like this.
  4. j@amc

j@amc Member

I agree. On paper, it looked like the Rockets would win 35 in a very competitive West, but they look on track for 40 to 45. It all depends on their shooting.

5. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

Seriously. Who's "Al"?

Separate note - this kind of storyline early in the season - "are they for real?" - happens EVERY YEAR. Some surprise teams will have a hot start and media will start talking about, oh are they just hot or are they for real? Some teams do cool down and come back down to earth, some teams goes on to have even playoff success. Hopefully we're the latter

6. vince

vince Member

I think it’s from the perspective you aren’t getting dunked on, er posterized. And as the overwhelming majority of NBA fans have never dunked a ball, no dunks resonantes more with the average fan.

7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Need to win an away game before we can fully use them. Even the J Wall team won 7 in a row. I’m pleased but won’t be convinced until we’ve seen 20 games at least.

8. PeppermintCandy

This team is starting to remind me of the 2007-2008 Rockets, when they went on the 22-game winning streak. That team may not have been the most talented, but they played as a cohesive unit with gritty defense and "team-first" mentality, and on many nights, just out-worked the opposing teams.

That 2007-2008 team ended up with the fifth seed and a 55-27 record. I don't think the current team will get as many total wins, but if they stay healthy, they'll be surprising a lot of people.

BallSoHarden and Richie_Rich like this.
  9. PeppermintCandy

In one of the Locked on Rockets podcasts, it was mentioned how the assistant coaches would watch films of the games as it happens, and then relay the information to Udoka so that he can make adjustments in real time.

I don't know how many teams' coaching staffs are organized enough to do that, but it has to give them a big leg-up.

BallSoHarden and Losmi_34 like this.
  10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It’s that they’re winning without shooting like snipers that’s impressive to me. It’s the commitment to team defense that impresses me.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Who is "Josh" on this show, I don't recognize him, but they talk as if he is a former player?

12. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Silas was just so very bad. We are seeing evidence of it nightly now. Of course the team itself is better too, but it's way more than just that. Silas was in way over his head here.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  13. Landsdale

Landsdale Member

Think from a defensive perspective: "no dunks!"

Richie_Rich and Tuckmose like this.
  14. i3artow i3aller

We've been missing our surefire topflight shiny new PG. I can't wait to add Amen to this already stifling defense.

BallSoHarden and kpdark like this.
  15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

He needs to come back with those A2 ankle braces that Curry wears.

kpdark likes this.
  16. Sledge187

Sledge187 Member

How many regular season games will teams play when they both have all their core guys playing in the regular season against each other? I honestly have no idea. I'm wondering if there are any analytics because it seems like in today's game it doesn't happen very much until the playoffs.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  17. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Overall team defense and Sengun's playmaking IQ has been the difference maker so far and they have been consistent. I would call it luck if shooting was streaky and gave the Rockets the win but that has not been the case. Seems like well-drawn-out defensive and offensive plays even during the final minutes. Could have put the game away if they made clutch free throws. Were close and winnable games against the Spurs and GS. I highly doubt the streak is luck but it is to be seen.

18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Don't know. A big part of it depends on if any of the core players are injury prone or not. In his prime, Harden rarely missed any games. Jokic usually gives you 70 or more games each season. Meanwhile, Murray has had some pretty bad luck lately. Bucks core team usually averages at least 60-70 games each season.

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

no, prolly not

20. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

It was entirely Garrison Matthews turning into Steph Curry for two weeks

BallSoHarden likes this.