1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cam Whitmore to G-League

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by speedjames, Nov 7, 2023.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I hoped Cam would be more NBA ready but he needs to work on the little things and slowing the game down. Also whatever that thing is with his body language that people talked about before the draft was very evident last game.

Bo6, MadMax94$, gotsis and 3 others like this.
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

All the talent is there for him to be a major contributor right now.

However coach Udoka saw something (likely his tunnel vision and lack of defensive focus) that kept him out of his rotation. So far we have zero reason to doubt his opinion on these things.

Not the end of the world by any means, still love his long term upside.

3. prs325

prs325 Member

Cam gonna dominate

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I think Cam would be playing if he knew defensive rotations, Ime got this team game 6 looking like a defensive monster.

5. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Can't wait

6. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I am the biggest Cam fan on this board and am very upset. I’m hearing the Rockets coaching staff did not like his attitude on the court and on the bench. I’m not upset at Udoka…..I’m upset with Cam for the negative attitude. This is how a real coach handles a bad attitude!!! Silas would have caved and started him which would have hurt the team long term. Udoka doing parenting the right way and Cam will come back with a much better attitude.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Once Amen is healthy he can join him

#StonePicks

albuster, cml750, robbie380 and 2 others like this.
  8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He can score with the ball in his hands. He's going to put up huge numbers and people will be screaming to bring him back, but I imagine his scoring ability is not what is keeping him from being in the rotation.

Nook, Rashmon, jim1961 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

This has nothing to do with decision making….it’s about attitude and I disagree that he isn’t as good as Amen (minus the attitude, which Amen has a great one).

albuster likes this.
  10. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Gonna be heading down there in December to watch them play. Hopefully he's still down with the Vipers when I make the trip.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

What is abundantly clear is that Cam knows how to score, but doesnt know how to play team basketball. I’m not sure the G-league is the place where he’s gonna learn. The G-League is a “I’m gonna get mine” league. It’s not a place where u raise your BBall IQ. But it’s perfectly reasonable to get him some reps down there. It’s unclear to me if he’d learn more just being with Ime and practicing with the team, but spending time in the Gleague is the normal trajectory for players picked where he was.

albuster and Easy like this.
  12. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

People got way too hyped about the Cam pick. I don't get why fans think they know more than NBA evaluators and scouts who do this for a living and have inside access. There's a reason why or multiple reasons why he got picked where he did.

MadMax94$ likes this.
  13. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Great move, let him dominate in the Valley and refine his game. We might need him in the playoffs :cool:

Corrosion likes this.
  14. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

So far the coaching staff has given me confidence in their decisions, so I trust this is the right move. Whatever the issue is with Cam is likely the real reason he dropped to where he did, the excuse about his physical being an issue for his knee 7-8 years from now never made sense. If you can get a guy to be as he was advertised for even 7-8 years with improving medical advancements I think you take the risk at him much higher than #20. His interviews also seem like he has not been coached correctly on what he should be saying either, so maybe hes not saying the right things to the coaching staff. Here is to hoping this is not an experiment like KPJ, but a smart move by the Rockets to draft him.

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

How it started: Cam should seriously be considered a starter.

How it's going: Cam going to the G-League. Well, at least he's a starter now.

16. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Whitmore has a little Porter energy to him. Ime knows. Ime ain't gonna have that ****.

albuster and VoR like this.
  17. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I do not like the coaches decision. !!! Y

robbie380 likes this.
  18. PeppermintCandy

Whitmore might be disappointed by the lack of playing time, but personally, I don't think has shown any attitude problem. As a 19-year-old rookie who is playing his first minutes in an NBA game, he's naturally going to look lost out there.

Plus, he does tend to move less when he's not the focus of the offense, and then he often uses a burst of speed to attack the rim. But I think this tendency makes it easy to assume he's disinterested without the ball in his hands.

Anyway, he can probably use some court time on the G-League, but hopefully, he'll still be brought up during Rockets game days and practices.

Rashmon likes this.
  19. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I've heard attitude concerns are partially why he fell in the draft.

albuster likes this.
  20. Qan

Qan Member

He needs to play anyways, and this is a good humble for him. For his future, he needed this to happen.

albuster likes this.