1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cam Whitmore putting in work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Sep 12, 2023.

?

Is he ready with a bigger role and more responsibilities AKA minutes - this early

This poll will close on Sep 12, 2025 at 3:14 AM.
  1. yes

286 vote(s)
    85.6%
  2. no

48 vote(s)
    14.4%
  1. invocux

invocux Member

You immediately can tell that he's too talented to be 2nd unit all year. They need to find a way to play him more.

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  2. Severum

Severum Member

Love his offense but dude looks lost on rotations defensively. THAT is the reason he hasn’t seen the floor I bet.

Arnel, AroundTheWorld and invocux like this.
  3. invocux

invocux Member

Could be yea. He's actually good on defense we'll see how much better he'll get.

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

5. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Positions may matter less now but they still matter. You don’t plug a shoot first guard or SF into the point guard roll when you’ve deliberately made it the emphasis of the new look rockets to play with an actual PG with a pass first mentality.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Probably a good move since all these veterans we added are just going to be gobbling up minutes, and now you have Tari coming back. Go tear up G-League, Cam!

Arnel, i3artow i3aller and Plowman like this.
  7. kpdark

kpdark Member

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Ime is a savage

9. kpdark

kpdark Member

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

These guys are not basketball analysts. He was sent to the gleague because of team goals and roster depth.

He's a 19 year old rookie. If he was on this team two seasons ago he'd be given 20+ minutes a night easily.

That is what he is being sent to the gleague.

11. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

It's actually a good point. Unfortunately it hurts Cam...not sure if he can work on it as it could be naturally a trait

12. kpdark

kpdark Member

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yep. Typical talk radio. Shocking that it’s two middle aged white guys critiquing demeanor, maturity, and attitude.

I mean of course he needs to mature… he’s freaking 19!! When he’s on the court he looks engaged to me. I dont think I’ve ever seen him pull a Harden or do anything like KPJ did. However there has been zero reports I saw or have seen about his attitude being why he fell in the draft. All reports were about health concerns based on what I saw and his college season which was altered due to his injury and how his production wasn’t what you’d expect to see from a top 5 talent.

It’s as simple as he’s going to the g league because there’s too much wing depth right now, they want him to stay in shape, and there are things he needs to work on from a skill perspective. I’m sure if Jalen or Tate or Brooks roll their ankle he’ll injected in the lineup right away. They want him to stay ready.

kpdark and fchowd0311 like this.
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree with you. I don’t see any attitude issues on the court, and reports are the move to GLeague was always the plan, and Ime/Stone are sending an assistant coach down there with him.

That said, here is a report of why he fell for reasons other than health, which I don’t care about, even if true.

clos4life, kpdark and jim1961 like this.
  15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This sounds like part-time basketball dudes coming up with solutions to problems that may or may not exist. There were medical issues some teams apparently had with Cam. There were rumors of him playing uninterested during the season. There were rumors of him slacking off during the combine. I don't know if he's being sent down because he has a bad attitude or because there're no minutes for him on the team - and neither do Granato nor Zierlein, except they go on and on. They even nonchalantly throw in the "oh yeah, and there was something about a medical issue..." and continue harping about attitude.

I think the majority of the reason the guy is being sent to the G-League is to get him some kind of playing time. On this team, we now have vets and our starting lineup is now 40% "new and improved". Then you have players like Jeff Green and Holiday that are playing well. Those vets have been instrumental in how improved this team is. With Tari and eventually Amen coming back, Cam's minutes are going to dwindle even more because he's not going to get in front of Tari anytime soon. He needs to learn how to play team ball and he needs to work on his ballhandling in traffic as well as decision making and 3 point shooting. His summer league play and pre-season highlights belie the fact he's got a lot to work on and he's not going to do that getting 5-10 mins/game in garbage time.

He's a top-10 talent in this draft, and he remains that. Give him time. The guy is 19 years old. He's about 3 months older than my damn refrigerator!

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

If this was 2021, he would be starting on this team. But we are just hitting the groove with a good mix of vets and young players, there's simply no time for Cam to learn on the fly while we try to win. He's too way too raw in the decision making department

clos4life and jim1961 like this.
  17. kpdark

kpdark Member

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Cam Whitmore's first RGV game stats (RGV lost to the Memphis Hustle 117-123) : 7/18 FG, 3/8 3's, 8 rebs, 2 assists, 2 to's, 1 block, 5 fouls.

They had Cam sort of camped around the 3 where he could shoot a shot or drive as he saw fit, from the looks of it. He brought the ball up a lot. He definitely wasn't a focal point of the offense.

He hit a half-court buzzer-beater at the end of the 3rd, but they said he didn't get it off in time. It was close, but they're probably right. He traveled on the play anyway. Officiating in the G-League sucks worse than the actual gameplay sometimes. :D He also had a missed alley-oop that would've been nice.

On another play, he had a guy open on the break but instead of leading him with the pass or putting it where they could catch the ball, he fired a howitzer of a pass that missed the target and almost left the building and zipcode. lol.

A play near the end of the game had him inbound the ball, get it back and near the sideline and he took off with it down the middle of the lane and exploded up and, before former Rockets Legend Matthew Hurt could even jump, he jammed it home. He had a couple of good dunks in the game.

He sometimes loses or forgets to pick up a man on defense. If the ball is in front of him and he's guarding the man with the ball, he d's up, but if the ball is passed to someone else, he'll turn his head following where the ball went and his man is off somewhere leaving Cam standing around guarding nobody while the ball moves around. I saw this happen a few times. All-in-all it was an "ok" game for Cam with some highlights, I guess. G.G. Jackson looks like he's in better shape than I remembered him in high school. Looked leaner. He had a decent game for them. He's even younger than Cam. A lot of messy, mistake-laden back-and-forth basketball in this one.

19. kpdark

kpdark Member

20. kpdark

kpdark Member