1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Spurs 10/27/2023

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 26, 2023.

1. GottaHaveHeart

Early Impressions:

1. The CF board needs to seriously chill and quit acting like the sky is falling

2. Guys are still getting a feel for running IME new schemes/system. Remember we have new players and are a different team then last year. Different spots and roles being tested at this point. Give the 19,20,21 yr olds a couple of games & practices to gain confidence and figure it out.

3. Lay off Jabari clearly showing signs of growth based on what we saw in SL and remember he’s 20….20! What were some of you doing at 20? Def not hooping in the NBA! Him hanging his head is growing pains, him thinking “I thought I had arrived” but seeing he still needs to put in more work. The feeling of letting his teammates down along with the new coaching staff is a real reason to feel like s**t. But this will also soon be an afterthought he’s clearly on the rise.

4. Alpi, IME is going to get Alpi going this year, clearly trying to get him comfortable with the role, yet he will learn by making mistakes and IME said it in his interview better decisions down the stretch, in my opinion, make the simple pass & play. Defense has improved but still needs to improve his foot speed and angles.

5. Jalen just needs to assert himself more on both ends. Crash the rim on offense. Spacing on P&R. Create more for others be that playmaker. Looks an awful lot like the Jalen of the past 2 years so far.

6. I like Amen! Like to see Amen and Jalen get more run together

7. Tari willl be a difference maker on this squad

AuburnRocket, Easy, JW86 and 8 others like this.
  2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've liked him since he first started. People need to realize he's only 21 yrs old, makes less than 4 million this year, and is fighting like a warrior out there hustling, rebounding, and making shots. Yes, he needs to get better at free throws. Yes, he could get better at many things. That being said, he's playing better than anyone else on this team right now. He will get better and better. I have no doubt in that. He isn't getting away with the kinds of foul refs turn a blind eye to with "special stars" and he isn't given the fouls those "special stars" get either. Give the kid some credit people. It's not like he isn't putting it all out there on the court.

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Pretty balanced effort. Should pay dividends in the long run.

I remember when Shaq, Yao, and big huge aliens got fouled on every possession and the refs ignored it.

4. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

If Jabari keeps playing poorly, I don't feel surprised that Tari will take his starting spot after coming back from injury. Winning is the top priority.

DeBeards and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  5. GottaHaveHeart

I think his free throws concerns are due to his feet placement needs to gather them in and stand a little taller and be more relaxed from his bend.

deb4rockets likes this.
  6. OpportunityCost

Somewhere right now, Silas is laughing.

DeBeards and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  7. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Hopefully our coaches find a way to correct the problem. If he has to resort to granny shots so what. I know some players did better with that but quit, because that "macho ego" wouldn't let them continue doing it. You've got the kid on the Spurs doing one handed shots after the coach encouraged him to try it. Whatever works.

GottaHaveHeart likes this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

In front of a mirror perhaps.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You do know we had an entire 70+ games of higher rated offense with Green with a 29% usage rate right?

34to11 likes this.
  10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

You can look at the boxscore and say that FT’s were the difference , or you can see that SA scored 35 points in the 4th quarter and blame it on defense . That’s what I’d lean to

we were not making them hit tough shots in the second half . Many of their turnovers were self inflicted .

11. Tankeio

Tankeio Member

DANG!! I didnt know that. I will disregard everything I've seen with my eyes. I'm back on the bandwagon baby! We Filipinos can rejoice again!!! Manny Pacquiao is gone but Jalen Green has just started his reign!! Woot WOOT...

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Thanks. Is this the first two games you've seen of Green?

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Jalen is a 19 year old rookie, we need to wait 14 more years before drawing any conclusions.

Tankeio likes this.
  14. Tankeio

Tankeio Member

Nope the past three years I've been on the bandwagon hoping and praying fans like you and I would be right. We got the best player of the draft. We got ourselves a Ja Morant with a jump shot! We got ourselves a killer...ya

15. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Really? Silas’s version of this team would have been blown out by 20 last night. Udoka had them playing hard and relatively disciplined.

clos4life likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, John Lucas reeled off a win streak, who knew......maybe Silas is out due to dehydration.

With a young team, you either get hot shooting or bad nights like the season opener.

17. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

He was a 19 year old rookie 2 years ago, just like Sengun, and makes almost 3 times as much. That being said, we only have 2 players making over 10 million a year, and Jalen isn't one of them.

If it takes 14 years to develop all our young guys and starters on cheap salaries we might as well call it a farm development team, because we never keep rookies that long. We always seem to trade off the biggest NBA stars, or the young guys after they get better. Hopefully that changes.

#2077 deb4rockets, Oct 28, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2023
  18. Dredd

Dredd Member

good reply. Respect.

AuburnRocket likes this.
  19. 34to11

34to11 Member

Try???

20. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

I'm still disappointed in JG. Yes, he scored well and shot the ball pretty well but he has to do this everynight to be effective. His defense is still suspect, he gambles for steals, gets in no man's land, body language not great. Still goes for the highlight plays. Yes Jabari didn't play well but it's the beginning of his year 2 - he just needs to start brekaing out post all star break in year 2. His confidence is the key