1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time for the clock to tick on Mr. Stone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rvo384, Oct 27, 2023.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I agree that Jabari should have been benched in OT. He clearly had lost his confidence. We've seen that in last season. The thing about Jabari is not that he's a bad shooter, but that he's a rhythm shooter. When he loses confidence (too frequently unfortunately), he also loses rhythm and his shots don't fall. If you asked the coach why he played Jabari in OT when his confidence was shaken, he probably would say that he didn't want to shake his confidence further by benching him, not because he's a high pick. We might not agree with his decision. It's debatable. But I don't think Udoka is the kind of coach that gives favor according to how high you are drafted.

Yes, I was joking. If Tari was drafted 3rd, CF would yell fire Stone every time Tari misses a layup as he often does. Bench players are always fan favorites. Nix was one of the rare exception.

J Sizzle and dobro1229 like this.
  2. Sledge187

Sledge187 Member

Real life is very hard to you NBA2K fans because when you get your feelings hurt you can't always hit reset. It's okay Baby Girls, you got very upset after we lost a very close game. You're not mad at Jabari, your mad at your Mom's. Jabari will be a star and you guys will be sporting new handles very soon. Stop hitting the reset button and start learning how to deal with consequences because most of your Mom's know this today because you all will be living in their basements for the majority of their adult lives and that's constant reminder of a consequence they will always regret.

roslolian and Dobbizzle like this.
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Want to take bets on Cam Whitmore being one of the most divisive prospects in Clutchfans history?

(I have to admit though.. I’m kind of intrigued enough to think it’s worth a shot at some point to say screw it and see what he can do as a starter.. at some point if nobody else steps up why not?)

NewAge and Easy like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

FVV and DB are known commodities, FVV a 20 ppg if needed with touches, and Dillon is a 14-16 ppg scorer though not efficient at times.

If you plug in Whitmore, you lose more close games but they are at least close games.

He gives you athleticism and a body to throw around right away. You live with bad shooting.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This is a lousy example because it's a "poll" of "20 top executives" whoever that means, it has no predictive value, and it's posted by 1 man Twitter comedy showcase @Bradeaux which is just the cherry on top.

I mean does anyone think this GM survey means Jabari Smith Jr and Lamelo Ball have equal value? Amen Thompson and DPOY Jaren Jackson That's just laughable on so many levels.

But anyway even by the polls own terms the Rockets finished not great

All of their players finished in the "other receiving votes " categories based on a top 5 system - and you can actually break down the math, it basically amounts to 1 or 2 people (probably whoever from the Rockets "top executive" ranks voted) giving the Rockets some bonus points.

Jalen Green got 0.5 out of 200 points - this = 1 5th place vote.

Sengun 1.5 = 1 4th place vote (or 3 5s)

Smith Jr 3.0 - either 2 4th place, or 1 3rd and 1 5th

Thompson 3.5 = 1 2nd place vote (or a 3rd and 2 5ths, or a 4tg and 3 5s) - my money is on the former. You could probably do the math by counting up the other totals and prove that it was one of these options but I'm not that smart.

Basically this result is entirely consistent with one single voter putting in a ranking of

1 Wemby
    2 Thompson
    3: Smith
    4 Sengun.
    5 Green

Plus one more 5th place vote for Smith. My guess is it's whatever apparatchik in Houston who has the pleasure of responding. Always be Strategic bro!

At most 2-5 people even bothered to even mention any of the Rockets (which they shouldn't, the other players mentioned like Luka are in another galaxy compared to our folks).

Another way to couch this poll, if I was the anti - Bradeaux, is Rockets Rebuild Up on Blocks in the Front Yard

Btw, you say this ranking "Should not change after 2 games" - if you surveyed these same 20 goofballs, even Rockets FO strategic voter, I bet they would change their votes.

Why wouldn't they? The last 2 games mean way more than Summer league bullshit this was based on.

This is a consistent pattern over the years of people taking preseason surveys of the Rock Draft picks and then using them as proof of their supposed value months into the season or years into their career

It doesn't work that way

fryjol7 likes this.
  6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Jabari's issues are with his shot! He needs to learn to play better even though his shot is not falling. Focus on defense and rebounding.

I thought he fixed his shot over the summer but he's back to doing the same thing....His shot is too FLAT! He keeps shooting at the rim and not into the rim. Like FVV.

7. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

His issues are mental. He’s a very good free throw shooter but I knew he was going to choke both of those free throws because I saw it in his face.

Easy likes this.
  8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Jabari is a bad shooter. He has yet to prove he can shoot at the NBA level. He’s a bad shooter until he isn’t, unfortunately.

And you’re right about the confidence part, but we’re trying to win games now. Can’t let mentally weak players compound mistakes and hurt the team further.

9. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Stone has done a good job rebuilding. The process is still under the construction

10. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

@Rvo384 - we are still waiting

RudyTBag likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He got rattled by the Magic........that is why I never want to talk about Summer league again.

12. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Stone has been a disaster. And all his apologists have been showing how much they understand about the game and the NBA.

There is a reason he has spent PR capital catering to young twenty somethings on twitter, who btw, are completely irrelevant outside this fandom. Nothing speaks about a GM as him spending time and energy on a group of people for PR and then having nothing to show about it.

GOATuve, SamFisher and pippendagimp like this.
  13. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

….and hiring Silas and. basically .cutting our best athlete and depth player in KMJ.

14. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

….and hiring Silas and. basically .cutting our best athlete and depth player in KMJ.
    Jarrett Allen….no more small ball. Guy sucks as gm….didn’t he cut half his picks earlier this year. Failure and the team’s record with him as gm is the only verification you need that he has no game as a lawyer/gm.

eliefor3 likes this.
  15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

20 executive opinions is worth more than 2000 fan opinions. Also, its not done by Bradeux, he has nothing to do with it other than making the graphic so that he could get twitter likes.

It's relative man, Rockets players finished other other players. Like you said, on a top 5 system, that means some execs had Rockets players as top 5 players with potential.

Let's not address the math if it is good or not, im not trying to do math right now. It means a few execs, you say 2-5, put Rockets in their top 5. You say its because they just want to give the Rockets some bonus points, not sure why they would do that but...

Why shouldn't they? Yes, Luka is on another level, do you not get they are not comparing Jabari or Amen to Luka? They are saying they have potential.

Like I keep mentioning man, the draft is based on potential, Bari was a top 3 pick because many in the NBA valued him to be so. I know you think they are all stupid and you know better than them but that's what they believe and they are usually as a group more right than wrong.

The difference is those pre-season polls are based on LAST season too. The ENTIRE season.

You desperately want these 2 games to mean something because if these players start to get better you won't get to brag about being right and how wrong the scouts are.

Anyone jumping on 2 games of a season as their proof that a guy is having a bad season is either running a narrative or overreacting. A 2 game sample size is NOTHING. You couldn't even wait for a half of basketball to go on about it. These guys truly better suck my dude or I'll make sure you'll never hear the end of it because you so badly wanted to bury 19-20 year old players.

Sledge187 likes this.
  16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The arithmetic works out.

Michael Scotto explicitly puts the methodology in his article:

In our scoring system, the top player received 10 points, the second received seven points, the third received five points, the fourth received three points, and the fifth player received one point for each ballot.​

With 20 voters, you can do the percentages and come to the same result.

The most likely scenario (and in some cases, the only mathematically possible scenario)under these conditions is the one I outlined - there's not really many realistic scenarios in which any more than 1 or 2 people rated the Rockets very highly.

What incentives would someone affiliated with the Rockets have to make the Rockets look good? Oh boy let's call Hercule Poirot and see if he can solve that mystery.

Why don't you tell me @JayGoogle ? You are the same guy who was walking around in January 2023 with a preseason GM poll from Oct 2021 despite the subjects of those polls had played 100+ professional games in the interim

These GM polls don't have much predictive value, but anyway let's take your argument here as true

20 executive opinions is worth more than 2000 fan opinions.
    Ok, does it at all concern you that either 18 or 19 of this esteemed panel of 20 did not even give a single Rockets a pity vote? Because that is the most likely scenario here.

Honestly the more I look at it, the more the "lone Rockets outlier voter" scenario seems true.

It's really absurd to consider all NBA and all star players like Luka, Zion, Lamelo, Halliburton as on a plane with - Amen Thompson? Jalen Green? - and Jabari Smith as up there with all defense guys like Mobley and Jaren Jackson Jr.

But again, even it's 2 guys voting for Rockets and not just one, the fact that 90% of your sample size ignored them should be concerning to you - since you seem to take these surveys very seriously.

Anyway - i hope im wrong and the lone Rockets voter turns out to be Nostradamus.

You can scream and cry and accuse me of being a bad fan all you want. I just wanted to see the Rockets win last night. Same as you.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is all conjecture that its even someone on the Rockets that did this. It really doesn't have to be, they were all drafted high, which tells you by itself how the league rated their potential. Since its 20, it could be that the Rockets had nothing to do with it at all.

They didn't have to rate them very highly, they rated them over others though.

Lol, see? Why does it have to be a pity vote? The Rockets in the official GM poll were ranked right behind OKC as the 2nd team to improve the most, so clearly there are GMs that think the Rockets have good young players on it, you just refuse to believe it is sincere for whatever reason.

I mean Zion never finishes a season and reportedly might not be as dedicated to his career as you might like, which is the reason for his fall. Lamelo has his own issues which are similar to most young players actually, Charlotte fans are about as split on him as Rockets fans are, he's not nowhere close to Luka. Halliburton is oft seen as a low ceiling guy. Mobley might not ever contribute much on offense and as such hurts his value and the same can be said for JJJ.

So that would be why.

Yep, far more than fan opinions including my own. Unless that fan is an Ex-GM himself or something.

Why wouldn't I? For example, you're judging Bari's complete 2nd season on 2 games. Why would I put weight into that opinion?

I mean he wouldn't be Nostradamus. Amen was drafted 4th, Bari 3rd, Green 2nd, this means plenty NBA execs thought these guys would be future stars. You're just having an issue with them not being that right away.

I don't know if you hope you are wrong though, I think some people just say that, I mean you waited a whole half before you jumped on the "Jabari sucks" train. That sounds more like someone jumping on an opportunity to be right.

I mean we're in the end judging these guys whole season, Amen's first season, Jalen's 3rd, Bari's 2nd, on 2 games.

Yeah, I can say I do not think NBA execs and GMs would do that. They'd say the sample size is far too small.

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

There were doubts about him that escalated more closer to draft time. I don't think "consensus" #1 is a totally fair title, but consensus top 3 surely. Even that is looking suspect.

There was zero evidence that Jabari could create his own shot, which is almost a baseline requirement for a top 5 pick under 7 feet. Groupthink is a helluva drug.

SamFisher and subtomic like this.
  19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

He was so confident in the summer. I think the only thing that changed has been the size and the level of competition.

That tells me he is still too light to play in the interior. He may be more of a SF. If you noticed in SL, most of his success came from the perimeter and driving into the paint

20. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

If you have money and/or money the women will follow, regardless of looks. I've seen it happen far too often.

Some stereotypes are more true than others.