1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: On the KPJ Trade and Future of the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 18, 2023.

1. xaos

xaos Member

Can't wait to listen on the way to work tomorrow morning!

i3artow i3aller and Clutch like this.
  2. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Clutch is killing me with these homepage photos. First we had to look at Stephen Silas' sad mug for months. And when you finally do change it, it's to this loser, KPJ? So many other positive things you could have on the homepage.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

JJJ played center 77% of the time last year, according to Basketball Reference.

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

Because Steven Adams was injured.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yep. But still, he wasn't playing PF. I just wanted to correct that part. I'm fact, for his entire career, he's been C 52% of the time.

Evan Mobley was 3rd in DPOY voting (IIRC) and he played PF slightly more than C (56% vs 44%).

But I don't think either of those guys make an argument for a full-time PF being sufficient to make up for a poor rim-protecting C. And I can't think of any other such examples.

I do agree with your prior point that this is something we shouldn't overly concern ourselves with right now. Down the road, maybe a move is needed. Yes, we will be annihilated inside, but this team isn't very good anyway. We don't need to decide Jabari or Sengun's fate right now. They should - at the VERY least - be given a year under Ime.

CXbby likes this.
  6. Rokman

Rokman Member

You know what would be cool to replace that with? A silhouette of Elie doing the kiss of death.

7. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    :eek:
    Official 23-24' Rockets Slogan!!!

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

I don’t think the percentages matter that much, Jaren Jackson starts next to Steven Adams, Mobley starts next to Jarret Allen, they both start next to traditional centers and can both play next to Sengun which would solve our rim protector problem if it came to that. After the center sits these PFs then slide over and play the center position which is probably why their percentage at center is near 50%, point is they can play with Sengun. Myles Turner is another example although he is being used as center now, when he played next to Sabonis Indiana was a top 6 defense.

quikkag likes this.
  9. ARA71197

ARA71197 Member

Very excited for the future of this team! Was at the game last night, and while it wasn't smooth due to multiple starters out, I really enjoyed seeing Ime showing passion during timeouts. Could tell he was not happy and he brings accountability, which is what this team has needed. His coaching style + added vets is going to be huge this season.

Believe It! likes this.
  10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

They should've prioritized development over the last two years, too - specifically last year. My latent fears that Tilman is too dumb to have patience may be surfacing again...

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Agreed. There's no pass to bad drafting. Either they got it right or we are rebuilding again soon.

12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

we had the the last 3 years to 'develop' guys... we squandered the time coddling the likes of the head honcho and Wood... while silas fumbled around in the dark...

this org doesnt know HOW to develop players... thats why it has to rely on the crap shoot of the lottery - and hope they get lucky...
    smdh

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Loved the Podcast! It's been such a long time since you guys had one. Didn't realize just how long it had been until you talked about it early on. I really liked the discussion the two of you had about the young players - Jabari, Jalen, Alpy, Tari, Amen, Cam and whoever I forgot. Also the new additions, and there are a lot of them. At the end, it sounded like having another podcast might be rare, @Clutch. My impression was that David was hoping you'd do more of them and you were a bit skeptical. Hope you're able to find the time to do another one now and then.

Anyway, there was one great thing you pointed out, Dave, that grabbed my attention. During I think a Spurs game, Sengun had done something wrong, likely on defense, and Coach Udoka pulled him out of the game, talked to him for just a few minutes, and then put Alpy right back in. You said that you hadn't seen Silas do that once during the last 3 years. I couldn't recall seeing him do it, either, and considering the situation the Rockets were in, it should have been a common event. Crazy!

You both pointed out how the coaching, the culture is so professional now in comparison. It's so true. There's been a huge change. We might not win as often as we'd like this season, but I'm really excited about watching our games, win or lose.

quikkag, xaos, BamBam and 1 other person like this.
  14. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

@Clutch Please remove KPJ's picture on the front page of the BBS? I can't stand looking at his face.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  15. i3artow i3aller

The future looks blindingly bright :cool:

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Damn, that was fun to watch!

17. prs325

prs325 Member

KPJ-Silas was a hell-hole of an era that we all like to forget
    The silver lining is it could lead to the most productive years in the franchise’s future, if managed properly

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Is it on video somewhere @Deckard ? I only get the audio portion.

DD

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I got the whole thing. I just clicked on play. Maybe I got lucky?

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the podcast.

@BimaThug keeps repeating that Sengun is a negative defender...as if it were etched in stone?

Seems like Ime is pretty satisfied with Sengun's effort on that end so far.

And - obviously tiny sample size - but Sengun NOT being on the court had the biggest negative impact on our defense in the first two games:

upload_2023-10-28_16-38-57.png

And when you look at this play, I don't think Sengun is the actual problem with our defense.

Like last year's stats already showed, Jalen was a much worse defender.

Sengun always gave the effort. He just needs to be used correctly. I root for Jalen, but I have more doubts with him.

#40 AroundTheWorld, Oct 28, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2023
    HardenReturns likes this.