1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Help My Daughter Dance

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JVoss, Aug 18, 2004.

Tags:
  1. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Every school dance team I have heard of (believe me, it has been a lot) has had their own fund-raising initiatives. Doesn't the team have a booster club? It is their job to raise money. If nothing exists, call together all of the parents and try to start something up. It is not that hard. If you are having trouble then other parents certainly are as well.

At the least competition fees and costume costs should be covered. Also, the team can have a Spring or Fall Show to which they sell tickets. That can also raise a lot of money.

Recently dance teams have even taken to sponsoring bike rides in order to raise money. Group garage sales, bake sells, car washes, etc..

She will most likely need to get a lot of ballet experience in order to get good college money. High School's version of jazz is not nearly enough.

2. JVoss

JVoss Member

Yes, they do and we do just about everything you mentioned. It does pay for a lot, but there is still a lot to pay for.

She doesn't have aspirations of fame. She said she might want to teach dance someday, or be a coach, but that's about it. I don't think she'll have any trouble getting a college scholarship.

I've been laid off several times over the last few years. I was out of full-time employment for about 9 months. I always worked doing whatever I could and never collected unemployment because I made enough to get by. We moved to a smaller house, got cheaper cars, cut out the extras. My wife substitute teacher and works as a teacher's aid which she has always done so she can make sure to take care of our kids.

We're on a tight budget, but I work hard and so does my wife and my kids hear "no" alot.

I really love my daughter and she does work very, very hard. We require that she takes care of her grades and that she does volunteer work (along with the rest of us) in addition to hours of ballet, jazz, and technique that she does every day.

The good news is that I think I've got it worked out now. I'm finishing up the contract now. I'm truly sorry if I offended anyone. I just should have been a little more patient.

3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

You have nothing to apologize for. Some people are just assholes. I hope the best for you and your daughter.

4. Fatty FatBastard

MasterBaiter, I swear, sometimes you just stir the pot to do so.

I've looked through this thread several times. I see nothing negative.

I'm sorry you are so angry about your situations, recently. Please vent someplace else, k?

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Agreed. In most situations on this board, I'm all for healthy debate and arguing over what you think is right or wrong. But, look, the guy just asked for some help for his daughter and opened up to a bunch of strangers when he didn't have to.

Donate or don't donate, but give the guy a break.

Fatty: You are just about on everyone's last nerve at this point. Stop telling people to "vent someplace else" when you use the board as your personal diatribe machine. Don't you have a soda you can spill on your laptop or something?

6. rimbaud

Supporting Member

Are you saying a lot to pay for in regards to the school team or are you talking about private lessons? Perhaps that is causing confusion. If it is private, then, sure, you are often screwed. If it is school-related only, then it is just being run poorly or something.

What school and dance teacher? ( I am assuming it is in or around Texas) I can look into it. :)

Incidentally, if she is good and wants to study anywhere but New York, then SMU is the way to go. At worst it is the 2nd or 3rd best in the country.

7. JVoss

JVoss Member

We live in Indiana, outside of Louisville, KY. We moved here from Texas in 1998.

Yes, as mentioned on her page she is also an all-star dancer. She also danced for Disney Radio one year (not as big a deal as it sounds, but it was a good experience) which didn't cost anything.

She would never be a freshman on a varsity team that has won 3 national championships in the last 4 years without all the extra work. Being on the all-star team actually gives us a substantial discount on classes. Also, the place where she goes is much less expensive and just as good as others in town.

She would have no problem becoming a UofL Ladybird since her coach is also their coach. We will also look at other schools and compare scholarships and programs.

I'd be glad to let you know if she competes in Texas in the future. I know our cheerleaders always compete in Dallas.

8. Fatty FatBastard

If I'm on your last nerve, I apologize. That said, I'm being called an A-hole for my comments here. I wasn't being negative when I said them. I tried to relate that. Not sure what else I can say?!?

I appreciate JVoss' plight. This board is typically used as a support group on this end, and a debate on the other "hangout" board.

I'm tired of seeing one spew onto the other.

9. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Dude, get over yourself. I was calling several people in this thread assholes. I never singled you out. If you really want me to I can specifically call you out as an *******. Just let me know.

This reminds me of a joke.

Guy goes up to his boss and says, "If I called you and ****ing *******, would you fire me?"

Boss says, "Yeah, I'd fire you. Thats not acceptable here."

Guy replies, "What if I just thought you were a ****ing *******? Would you fire me then?"

Boss says, "No I cant do much about that."

Guy says, "Great!! I think your a ****ing *******!"

10. rimbaud

Supporting Member

OK, that is why a lot of what you have said and was one the website didn't make sense to me. Certain regions have their own lingo for the high school stuff. I didn't know if the high school had an "all star" team. Makes sense now.

Again, sorry about the confusion. What national championships did they win? With what company?

If I may give some unwanted advice, I would advise that she go to a more serious program (obviously I am speaking only if money is not a factor through scholarships, etc.). Even if she just wants to be a high school teacher/coach, it will still make it easier and is much more respected. On the slight chance that she wants to do something else with dance, it will become all the more important.

Best of luck

11. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I agree.. if this was a new poster I might be a little worried... but jvoss has been here since the beginning basically.. one of the first 25 people to register on the board since it switched to what it is now.. in 99...

I was in high school a couple years ago.. there are plenty of high school activities that cost a great deal.... band etc can cost you thousands and even if the school has fundraising activities it doesnt pay for everything always...

I did band in high school... and spent thousands if you count instruments etc... trips with the school... etc

12. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Best of luck to you and your girl.

If you'd like some salsa or international latin dance instructional materials, send me an email at pasox2@yahoo.com. That's a different kind of dancing,(male-female, partnered) but some technique applies.

I hope you your girl find peace at your center, and joy in your life.

13. JVoss

JVoss Member

UDA ... Just a few links.

2004:
    http://www.varsity.com/index.asp?article=1525

Floyd Central High School won JV POM and Varsity POM. They were 4th in Varsity Jazz.

Kalan was there, also. Her jr. all-star team (planet dance) came in 3rd in Jazz and 3rd in Hip-Hop. Her Jr. High School team won state in Jazz and 2nd in POM last year.

2003:
    Varsity POM
    http://www.varsity.com/index.asp?article=1067
    JV POM
    http://www.varsity.com/index.asp?article=1066

2002:
    2nd Place POM
    http://www.varsity.com/index.asp?article=1093

I don't see them in 2001 so it must have been 2000 that they won, also. I know they have the banner hanging in the gym.

14. rimbaud

Supporting Member

Thanks for all of that. I'll admit I am not a fan of pom, but any achievement is still an achievement. Regardless, it is great that you are so supportive. It certainly is a financial drain, but dance can be very rewarding. Something to also keep in mind, though, is that if she continues her body will be a wreck by 30. Cheerful, isn't it? If you teach, though, you get to live through your students.

15. JVoss

JVoss Member

She competes in jazz and hip-hop, also. I never thought I would see my daughter dance the way she can (I can't dance at all). She also does ballet technique classes. The nice part about POM is that's what they perform at all the school sporting events as part of the spirit squads. I appreciate your feedback. Good comments! Please feel free to email or PM me if you have more questions.

16. Cesar^Geronimo

My daughter did the whole dance thing but she actually managed to turn it into a career. It was alot of money and alot of time invested getting her the right classes etc...

But she is only 21 and among other things, last Spring spent 6 months working at Tokyo Disney in one of their dance shows.

While she was there she lived rent free, experienced a different culture and managed to save a bunch of money.

Now she teaches dance and fitness classes and is making a decent salary doing it.

17. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

If doing this makes her happy, you have every right to find a way to fund this. I have my two daughters in dance, my oldest is 10 and she has been doing it for 8 years. I don't force them, they love to do it and I find a way to pay. I don't fault you for doing this, you have to do what ever you can do for your kids.

18. daNasty

daNasty Member

If you want the money to go to you why would you use a fake name? DUH! I don't think you know anything about ebay do you? Man I have nothing against people trying to help out their daughter(s), but you just have to be sure. Anyone can create a site and make up a story.