1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Help My Daughter Dance

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JVoss, Aug 18, 2004.

Tags:
  1. JVoss

JVoss Member

As you can see by my member # I've been around for a long time. I used to post a lot about the Rockets in the early days (before this version of the board existed), but I don't post much at all anymore. I still come here to read almost every day, though.

You're welcome to tell me what you think about this. It's not really something I wanted to do (I tried everything else first) ... I just don't know what else to do right now.

http://www.vsoftdev.com/kalan-voss.asp

Thanks.

2. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Nicely done. Good luck with it.

3. JVoss

JVoss Member

Thanks Kim.

BTW, I've been working to sell part of my online business to pay for this. I think I may have reached a deal today.

4. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Wow. thats rather heartwarming. I hope I'm as good of a Dad as you seem to be.

5. JVoss

JVoss Member

Thank you. I'm sure you will be if you feel that way. Having kids can do that to you.

I wish I could provide for them more sometimes financially and be a better dad that way, but I couldn't love them more if I tried.

6. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

Don't have too much to give being in school right now and didn't have a summer job over this summer either

but donated $10 bud.... hope it's good for something

7. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

I was just going to let this thread die without saying anything, but since it's up at the top....

Where did this culture come from that parents sacrifice all of their resources for some sport their child competes in?

This reminds me of the Michelle Wie thing - her parents have her running around the country attending all of these events, spending thousands and thousands of dollars in the process. At least most high school team athletics only go as high as State, but it seems that most specialty things like dance and cheerleading feel the need to have nationals.

I think that this is why at every street corner in Houston on the weekend I see kids competing for the begging spots with the seasoned professionals.

My answer?
    Sorry kids, I gave at the tax office when I paid for your school. At least run a car wash or something - I can respect that.

Look, life is rough and a lot of the time, you can't afford to buy and do everything you want to. I think that this is a perfect time for kids to learn this. Maybe the failure of parents to teach the tough lessons is why we have so many people with tons of credit card debt in this country.

Of course, this all leads up to my extra-special pet peeve - BEGGING. Isn't it common enough in our society that we don't have to bring it onto a Rockets' bulletin board? I'm sorry that you don't have the resources that some of your daughter's friends' parents do, but surely you knew that this was going to happen at some point?

8. Fatty FatBastard

Gutter: I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. That said......

I agree with the idea of not needing to pay people to let their kids have very unnecessary things in life.

I hate to say it, but the truly talented will always have money flung at them. Look at the fiasco that is LeBron.

I have a son. I want the world for him. I truly do. However, I got into a wreck this weekend that was going to cost me. I did CHEAP things while I was there due to it.

We went to the zoo for free. When my 5 year old asked me to get him a gift, I told him "We can get something small, but daddy wrecked his car, so we have to get something small.

My FIVE YEAR OLD looked around the toy store for an hour. When I told him he finally had to choose, he looked at a couple of expensive things. I told him "no Derrick, thats too expensive today." I gave him 4 choices. He chose the cheapest one!

Money doesn't buy happiness. Love and attention does. I'm more and more amazed by him.

I'm not saying anything against JVoss. I think society is starting to make JVoss look like the bad guy because he can't afford it, and that's a shame.

Just because you can afford something does not make you a good parent and vice-versa. But peer-pressure is, and always will be, a b****. Especially at that age.

I feel for you.

9. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Have you thought about free dance opportunities?

Dance is my hobby, and I have a daughter. It was going to be $ 1000.00 this year at the ballet academy, for twice a week. Just tuition, for a 7-8 year old. You know, I love my kid, but... we put our foot down. There's other ways to get there. There's lots of dance out there. We found something good cheaper.

I can't tell how old your girl is, but there's got to be a way to work for some of it. Studios always have girls working. There's lots of community dance companies that are cheap or supported, especially ethnic or folkloric. There's community college, ymca, a ton of salsa stuff, and so on.

I think the "Team" aspect is what's killing you. Kill the team. They don't really care about you. Just love your girl and love that she's got a talent. Teach her to love herself, and not herself as defined by relation to the team.

10. Fatty FatBastard

Can we get an Hallelujah on that!

11. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

This is a hard call, I think US ROX fans are a good group, but yet this is the Internet...WHAT TO DO, WHAT TO DO????

12. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

OH MAN, I just looked at your profile..YOU ARE A Software Engineer, I just got out of college and I am in the same field...From all the jobs I see you shouldnt be making bad money, I would say if you are in a bind go get a pawn loan on something of value and pay it back if you dont want to go to a bank..

13. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Its a very sweet gesture, good luck, don't mind the negativity. good luck to your family.

14. daNasty

daNasty Member

How do we know this is not an internet scam? Sorry to be negative but we have to be sure. This doesn't sound right at all. I mean if your daughter is sick or something then we would understand the cause for charities. If this is really for your daughter and you love your daughter, then I apologize.

15. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Please. We have sunk to suspecting the age-old "pretend to help my daughter go to dance class" scam? I suppose one can check the domain info, considering that he is one of a handful of posters who uses his real name, it is not hard.

The fact that this post is getting this much criticism is sort of dispiriting. How does this not sound right exactly? Someone is interested in giving his child something artful and enriching that she loves, and we call him out? Again, good luck.

16. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I didn't know there was such a high chocolate starfish population on this board until reading some of these responses.

17. Fatty FatBastard

I'm not seeing that much animosity on this board at all!

Look, I could have come in here, say "could y'all help me get my son back?" And asked for donations a loonngg time ago, if I had wanted to. I decided that that would be wrong.

3 years later, I was finally able to sue my wife to get to see my son.

I personally feel that there is a time and place for everything.

18. JVoss

JVoss Member

The response has actually been much kinder than I thought. It wasn't an easy decision.

I'm leaving the page up so you can still read about my daughter, but I've taken off the donation request.

As for a time and place for everything, there is. Last night I finally got an agreement to buy part of my side business that will just cover her expenses this year.

19. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

This part is priceless. NO harm intended, but if read properly, it kind of has the makings of a Hallmark card with the happy ending and all...

FFB - In the name of all that is serious, I'd help you out.

By the way, I'm not an attorney, but is there legal precedence involving married men sueing their wives for the P-diddy. I freakin' sprained my wrist while at the gym the other day and now I'm all out of options.

Another Hallmark Card coming on, "Honey, I'm sorry I had to sue you into giving up the p-diddy, but MAN I slept well last night".

20. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Just have her watch this gut over and over... http://jonathanarons.com/dance.html

Does anyone here want to help me so I can afford to go see a doctor for my bad back? I would like to be able to walk normally again, pain free. $450 for an MRI, $200 doctor visits, $100 for pain medicine, then whatever it costs to "cure" me when they know exactly what is wrong.

My work took away health insurance four months into me working there, (who do you think I'm voting for) then I got hurt, then they cut down my hours, then eventually let me go last week (that evil b*stard) so I'm on my own with this. Please give me money.

Thanks