1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking back: Eddie Griffin, biggest bust in Rockets history?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dharocks, Aug 17, 2004.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Well, now that I'm back, I suppose I'd best present my reasoning as to how Rob's a bust. I don't think he's a bad player, and looking back, I guess he wasn't really a bust either, but I just though he could have been so much better. When you look back to his early years, he was a smooth shooter, good defender, good athlete, excellent handles for 6'10... I really bought into the "next Scottie Pippen" talk. No to mention the greatest haircut ever; I still can't believe the block/fade went out of style (FYI, JJ had the same haircut at Ohio State and Dallas).

We couldn't have won the two championships without him, especially the second one, but I still think the Rox did the right thing trading him for Barkley, even though it meant losing SamIAm. I don't think Danny Ainge stunted Horry's growth into a possible All-star caliber player, I think Horry stunted his own growth.

2. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

and the favorite "Fresh Prince of Bellaire"

3. AggieRocket

AggieRocket Contributing Member

In my opinion, the biggest bust in Rockets' history was John Turner from Phillips 66.

4. omax

omax Member

I couple of things stick out when I look at this draft. One, Latrell Sprewell was such a steal!! I had forgotten how low he was drafted. Also, why was Arkansas so highly rated? Todd Day, Lee Mayberry, and Oliver Miller all sucked.

5. stab

stab Member

Hmm. tough call.....

Eddie had talent. still does, but I like the fact that we were agressive and went for him. I remember the chatroom lit up like a christmas tree when the trade went down. Unfortunately, he is one of the biggest busts that we have had....

Jamerson and Turner are not too far behind.

6. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Anybody else see an interesting comparison when looking at the careers of NFL Ricky Williams and NBA Eddie Griffin. Thank god our offense never had to run through EG.

I'm not saying they're all that similar. I'm just saying it's an interesting comparison.

7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Is that supposed to be funny? If you think so then you are a noclass twit. Rudy nearly DIED from that sucker punch from Kermit Washington. His entire face was crushed and held together by wires. His brain swelled up due to internal hemmoraging. He went through hell that Christmas and was never the same after that. Yeah, that's really something to look back on and joke about.

I remember that time as if it were yesterday - I spent that entire Christmas season praying for Rudy as did all REAL Rocket fans.

8. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

Is that supposed to be funny? My kittens nearly DIED when I put them in the oven.

9. We're Back

We're Back Member

Hey, thankgod we drafted EGriffin. If we hadn't maybe we would have drafted Richard Jefferson like everyone (including me) has been crying about for the las three years. At least we are rid of EG. Jefferson just landed a 6 yr 78 million $ contract officially making him the most overrated player in the world.

10. omax

omax Member

Maybe not the most overrated player in the world but, $78 million?? Way too money for him. And he didn't even score in the last Olympic game.

11. time4rhymez

time4rhymez Member

Yeah, but Yao was the number 1 pick, and hes not playing like a number 1 pick, more like a 2nd round pick

12. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

^ I've been looking at that post for 5 minutes, and I have no idea how to respond to it.

13. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

14. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

Pervis Ellison by far

15. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Actually, a team is pretty lucky if a second round pick gives them what Eddie gave us. For every Cuttino Mobley, there are 20 guys who don't amount to anything.

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Number one, Never Nervous was drafted by Sacramento.

Number two, he was a very good player before getting injured. He averaged 20 and 11 with Washington.

17. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

your user id fits you quite well.. the bulb is definately dead in your head. how do you figure that Spree. Googs, JJ, and Christie had better careers? Ridiculous. The man has 5 Rings.. and he is a HUUUGE part of probably 4 out of 5 of those, if not all 5. I dont recall any of those other players other then Shaq, having a single ring. Robert Horry is one of the clutchest, and deadliest 3 point shooters of our time.

18. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

dunno this rocket had a pretty bust [​IMG]
    or
    her
    [​IMG]

19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

sorry lemme try that again
    [​IMG]

or
    [​IMG]

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Griffen was the bust of the century. I think anytime a team trades 3 first-round picks for one player, and that player self-destructs to the point where he's not even in the NBA 2 years later, that it can truly be called the bust of all-time. Not to mention, we gave away maybe the best all-around player in that draft (Jefferson). Everyone makes mistakes though, and I was as high on EG as anyone else. I saw what he did at Seton Hall and was in awe.