1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cam Whitmore putting in work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Sep 12, 2023.

?

Is he ready with a bigger role and more responsibilities AKA minutes - this early

This poll will close on Sep 12, 2025 at 3:14 AM.
  1. yes

286 vote(s)
    85.6%
  2. no

48 vote(s)
    14.4%
  1. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

I think Cam's handles will vastly improve in the next couple years. I almost think....... we have our Anthony Edwards... while also having JG lol.

2. MystikArkitect

He's also a really apt defender. Has a nose for steals and jumping the passing lanes. Carmelo even in his waning years didn't have the self awareness that Cam has *today*. Melo was closer to JG in that sense. "Aymmabuckitt". I really hope the coaching staff rewards the players who are performing the best.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm referring to coming into the league. Anyone can improve their handles but Ant's baseline coordination and handles are ahead of Whitmore at the same age.

htownfan_9210 likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

If Cam Whitmore had Green's usage and role he'd average more turnovers than assists. Jalen Green makes scoring life easy for guys like Sengun because he's a far superior ball handler and playmaker to Whitmore entering the league.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Melo could talk well coming in. You had to tell green, get off your IG, get off your NFT ish.

6. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I think Cam projects to be a Jaylen Brown type, a guy who looks to score first, but does it quickly and efficiently. A freight train in transition, a legit 3-point shooter and powerful finisher. I don't think he's a natural "fulcrum" because he's such a score-first guy, but I love his upside playing off someone like that. His aggressiveness pairs perfectly with Amen's unselfishness, and both are 2-way players with size/explosiveness.

But what impressed me most is his defense. Even when he was caught out of position, he recovered so quickly. He has natural instincts and the physical tools to be a positive factor as a rookie, and could be damn good down the line.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

He actually just plays like a mini Anthony Edwards. Not a whole lot of playmaking potential, but a great athlete, strong body, good stroke from 3, tons of tunnel vision.

clos4life likes this.
  8. Dredd

Dredd Member

"Sir, what kind of stripper would you like to get a dance from?"

"Oh, we have both kinds. Big rack and no rack."

See the difference?

9. Nook

Nook Member

Agreed - and that is fine. At a minimum he will be a long term bench scorer and havoc causer. If he makes a few adjustments, and the players around him fit, he can be a very good scorer on a starting unit. Klay Thompson isn't really a playmaker, neither is Michael Porter Jr, but they both maximize their strengths and contribute a lot. That is the type of model that Cam needs - what he does well, he does at an elite level.

10. Nook

Nook Member

That is an excellent upside comparison.

Again - not a real playmaker, and it took awhile for his skill set to not be clunky on the Celtics, but they made it work and he is one of the top 25 players in the world.

i3artow i3aller and fchowd0311 like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

as long as the tunnel vision doesn't turn into a detriment to where he's just a negative chucker who does little to nothing else, he'll be fine.

Nook likes this.
  12. clos4life

clos4life Member

Cam is going to be special. We'll see what happens in the long run but dude could be better than anyone else on the team.

Now, mind you, I prefer all our players develop to their full potential and if they all do he won't be the best. That being said, I feel like people are underrating him and his potential.

Mr.Scary and BaselineFade like this.
  13. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

charlieaustin likes this.
  14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Outside Houston, probably.

clos4life likes this.
  15. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I see Jaylen Brown. Both 5 star recruits who grew to 6'6", 225 lbs and wear #7.

BaselineFade and clos4life like this.
  16. meh

meh Contributing Member

It's really nice that he's showcasing a consistent 3pt shot. As long as he can knock that down at a ~35% clip, he should be able to get minutes on the team and speed up his development. All he needs to do in year 1 is shoot 3s, cut to the basket, and always try on defense. If he does all that he'll get backup rotation minutes.

17. i3artow i3aller

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

I didn't think he would get very many minutes after we signed Bullock, but he keeps playing like this and it's going to be hard to keep him off the floor. Go and get it, young gun.

19. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm trying not to get too high or too low regarding any player after one pre-season game but the kid balled out for the limited minutes he had last night.

With that NBA ready body and being a solid 6'6", I'm not ready to say he may make Jalen expendable buuuut...

Please excuse me now as I hide from @fchowd0311 :D

20. fchowd0311

Nah its cool man. I got high hopes for him also. Like I said realistic Jalyen Brown ceiling.

O-dawg likes this.