1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. arrested for domestic violence

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 11, 2023.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Cancel culture is out of control

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

He wasn't cancelled... he was BANNED.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Stone’s dumbass still lying in order to protect himself, and we’ve got morons falling for it

KPJ literally already had a history of assaulting women and people in general before coming to the Rockets, but he wasn’t aware :rolleyes:

4. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Stone was just flat out lying and its sad. You can tell everyone knew he was lying because all of the questions after that were directed toward Ime save for one which was directed at "both" but Ime mostly answered.

Dredd likes this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was a weird answer and other weird answers.

All he had to say is we're waiting for the NBA to complete its investigation before commenting further. Leave it at that.

Also interesting that he brushed off knowing anything about KPJ's issues given the DJ incident being reported and other things reported in the media. I get it, it's a sensitive topic and he doesn't want to look bad. But man, he does not know how to handle these kinds of questions.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I am posting Feigen’s article. (I pasted it into my spoiler below). You are linking to Shapiro.

Feigen is behind the paywall. (I’m a Chronicle subscriber).
    Shapiro gets published to the free digital version at chron.com

This is Feigen’s article:
    ||
    ||
    VV

Full article

Kevin Porter Jr., the Rockets guard facing assault and strangulation charges in New York, will not return to the team this preseason with his potential to ever rejoin the team increasingly in doubt.

On Monday, Rockets general manager Rafael Stone used the start of the 2023-24 season, the NBA’s annual media day reporting date, to address the allegations for the first time and Porter’s chances to return to the team.

"The allegations against him are deeply troubling,” Stone said in a prepared statement. “Going back a few weeks, as soon as I heard the allegations, I informed his representatives that he could not be part of the Houston Rockets. He has not been with the team or around the team since that time.

“What’s left for the team to do is to evaluate the best steps for our organization that remain in compliance with the league domestic violence policy.”

ALSO SEE: Why NBA action against Kevin Porter Jr. may take time

Stone would not say if Porter could be with the Rockets this season, citing league policies.

“I can’t answer that and stay in compliance with the policy,” Stone said. “So, I think that’s again, this is now a legal matter and that’s where it’s happening.”

The NBA’s collective bargaining agreement with the National Basketball Players Association does not permit the Rockets to discipline a player solely because of an arrest or while the subject of an NBA investigation. The Rockets can, however, waive Porter before the start of the season and have looked to use his contract to work a trade.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver can put a player on paid administrative leave while the league investigates. Though Silver called the allegations “horrific,” the NBA has not taken any action. The CBA, which took effect July 1, stipulates that a player does not have to be convicted of a crime to be in violation of the league's domestic violence policy.

Based on findings of an NBA investigation, the league has the authority to, "fine, suspend, or dismiss and disqualify" a player "from any further association with the NBA and its teams." But the league has never nullified a player’s contract because of a domestic violence incident.

Hornets forward Miles Bridges was suspended for 30 games after he pleaded no contest to felony domestic violence in criminal court and the league conducted its independent investigation. Bridges did not sign with a team last season and was credited for serving 20 games of his suspension. He will sit out the first 10 games this season.

The Rockets acquired Porter in a trade with the Cleveland Cavaliers in January 2021 after a locker-room outburst when Porter was upset that his locker had been moved while away from the team.

He had been inactive to start that season because of an offseason weapons charge that was later dropped when it was determined that the weapon and the car Porter was driving belonged to his mother, who had a permit. Traffic and drug charges also were dropped.

The Rockets suspended Porter for one game in January 2022 after an incident when Porter was in a heated exchange with former assistant coach John Lucas at halftime of a game in Toyota Center and left the arena soon after.

He had been suspended as a USC freshman for unspecified “personal conduct issues.”

The Rockets, however, believed he was making progress with controlling his emotions, leading to an agreement on a lucrative contract extension before last season that begins with this season.

Still, the team built options into the contract with Porter to minimize some of the risk if there were further incidents, though no previous issue reached the level associated with the charges in New York last month.

“We structured that contract not with something like this in mind but purely as a basketball matter,” Stone said.

Porter’s contract, worth $15.86 million in each of the next four seasons, is fully guaranteed only for this season. With just $1 million guaranteed for next season, it has $3 million guaranteed for next season if he is on the roster at the start of this season, and $6 million if not waived shortly after the season. There are also guarantees tied to minutes played and team performance.

Porter had been the Rockets' starting point guard for each of the past two seasons, but his role was expected to change with the offseason additions of free agent Fred VanVleet and draft pick Amen Thompson.

In his three seasons with the Rockets, Porter averaged 17.2 points, six assists and 4.7 rebounds.

#2966 heypartner, Oct 2, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2023
    mikol13 and SamFisher like this.
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sure, it's an effective way of stopping them from asking more questions.

It also makes you look like a total buffoon.

Rafael Stone has invested his career and tens of millions of dollars in KPJ, and yet @Nook @Clutch Jackson Gatlin, others all apparently have superior information on the Lucas incident, the road rage attack, the DJ smash, maybe others.

Either he's absolutely comatose asleep at the switch or he's not telling the truth.

Guess which one it is.

Easy, Dankstronaut, Entropy and 3 others like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

True but you would not even need your superior information.

What he did in Cleveland and partly at USC would be enough to establish the profile of a potential criminal.

I thought he was not going to stick, so I was indifferent when he was traded here for nothing.

The truth that he is not willing to admit, you bet on the wrong horse.

Him thinking like a lawyer, I defended him and now my job is over, does not work.

9. Boki4MvP

Boki4MvP Member

Who’s squid?

10. opticon

opticon Member

Terrance Williams.

Boki4MvP and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

[​IMG]

Boki4MvP likes this.
  12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Saying he wasn't aware of issues is just a flat out lie. I lose more respect for this guy every time he speaks about this.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I love that question, the only one that mattered today. Need that single question highlight video. I could watch it over and over again.

OremLK and AroundTheWorld like this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Welp, I guess we are waiting on the league.....

Have fun with your KPJ party.

DD

15. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Maybe it is Stone the liar, and not Morey like Harden says.

16. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

[​IMG]

BamBam and OremLK like this.
  17. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

The guy who looks like he hasn't slept since last Thursday? lol...

The one question about his contract having safeguards in case of a situation like this and Stone's response being something like "well in case he turned into a really good player" lol geezzzz

#1 he didn't

#2 what a crock of crap. Like you were starving to hit him with a max the second he outplayed his contract with 3 more team option years? Really guy, that's your explanation?

It absolutely was a fail safe and unfortunately it's the best decision Stone has made with a contract in 3 years.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

From Bobby Marks, in his Training Camp Preview

Full Rockets segment

Houston Rockets[/paste:font][​IMG]
    Guaranteed contracts: 12
    Partial/Non: 2
    Exhibit 10: 3
    Two-way: 3

What to Watch: Kevin Porter Jr.

Porter was arrested in early September on charges of assault and strangulation after an incident at a New York hotel.

Because the NBA's investigation is ongoing and Porter has not been found guilty or taken a plea deal, the Rockets can tell the guard to stay home until there is a resolution.

Under the terms of the league's domestic violence policy, commissioner Adam Silver also has the power to place Porter on administrative leave with pay for "a reasonable period of time." Based on the findings of the case, the commissioner can fine, suspend, dismiss or disqualify from any further association with the league and its teams a player who violates the domestic violence policy.

The Rockets could elect to waive Porter and incur the $15.9 million he is owed this season and $1 million next year. His guarantee for next season increases to $3 million if he is on the team's roster the first game of the regular season in October. If Porter is waived, the Rockets would be responsible for the full $16.9 million owed to him, even if the NBA later determines that he violated its domestic violence policy.

The NBA could still suspend Porter even if he is a free agent, and the suspension would start when he signs with a new team.

The Rockets could keep Porter on the roster and transfer him to the suspended list after the fifth game of the suspension. Porter would be fined $144,182 for every game missed with Houston recouping 50% of the deducted salary. The Rockets would also be allowed to sign a replacement player even if they are at the league-maximum 15 players. After the suspension is served, Houston could waive Porter or look to trade him.

There are no rules preventing the Rockets from trading Porter during the league investigation or even if the NBA suspends him. They have seven first-round picks and eight second-round picks over the next seven years they could use to facilitate trading him. The acquiring team also would be responsible for the guaranteed salary owed to Porter.

#2978 heypartner, Oct 2, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2023
  19. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Sounds like they were lying and that’s the only thing that drug it out. I’m guessing the judge(s) also weren’t too perceptive in that case.

20. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Why not just tell the truth then. This FO is crazy man lol