1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. arrested for domestic violence

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 11, 2023.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I found that to be untrue - I have been sued by a publisher when they breached the contract, it took nearly 3 years for it to be dismissed, as the false claims he made had to be considered and evidence gathered to prove them false, and every single judgement went my way - but in the end it cost me well into 6 figures ....you can sue for anything particularly when it is companies or over contracts....

Perhaps that is skewing my viewpoint as I have seen people sue when they breached and couldn't pay, and tried to turn it around....

DMO sued the league and won his settlement for his contract back in the day - the NBA tries to avoid those things....

DD

#2921 DaDakota, Oct 1, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2023
  2. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I think you misunderstand, I mean he can try. Im not saying he will win or get far but anyone can try. I even threw in that you can get in trouble if the judge knows you know that you dont have a case.

3. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I cant believe I agree with DD on something. I feel ill lol

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Quit with your mental gymnastics. Bobby Marks has dismissed this idea.

Waiving is an air-tight right. If it were considered punishment, players would be filing grievances for being unduly cut left and right. Same in the NFL.

you don’t have to do such mental gymnastics to defend Rockets inaction, when there are other valid reasons. Seems like you’re doing it for personal reasons now … ie to save face, or win an argument.

Is that why?

#2924 heypartner, Oct 2, 2023
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

With the empowerment Movement I can see the Waive thingy being revamped at the very least.
    Sure hope it would not stay air tight.

Not everyone is a Porter Junior.

Scrubs are mostly concerned when it comes to waiving and I must say I have sympathy with some of the scrubs getting something out of it.

At least a chance to stay on the roster for longer.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

always is

Joe Rocket likes this.
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Find me the docket # of the case he filed. What court? SDTX? SDNY?

He didn't sue the NBA he just postured like he was and a few goofballs reprinted it

The reason why he didn't, as I've mentioned before - players can't sue the NBA or teams over their contract. It's literally part of the contract that they can't.

Nook and No Worries like this.
  8. DaDakota

You are correct it was an arbitration....

Dmo nearing settlement.

Same as a lawsuit, just settled by a retired judge.

DD

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Not the same as a lawsuit as in this case it precludes a lawsuit form being filed, is entirely nonpublic, and is a fraction of the cost - which is why it exists at all.

Nook and daywalker02 like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He has not earned that much money to live off comfortably and filing lawsuits......while being suspended and not playing.

Remember he filed one against his ex GF rather recently.....

11. DaDakota

Yes, I know about arbitration.

DD

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Basically Stone implying he will listen to the league first and foremost which is weird.

Unless he is lying in front of the camera which he might be, no way telling what he thinks in terms of waiving.

14. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I’m with you on this. I think there’s a strong chance they’ll wait and see if they can void paying him some or all of his contract before they waive him. I’m not sure if a contract can be retroactively voided after the player has been waived. My assumption is the money is immediately due unless a “waive and stretch” provision is exercised. Even then, I would doubt future stretch payments could be voided posthumously

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Morant can travel with the team. That is the difference.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  16. j@amc

j@amc Member

I’m shocked. Stone speaks.

17. DaDakota

#2937 DaDakota, Oct 2, 2023
  18. heypartner

Well, Feigen is joining Bobby Marks, Lowe, Shams in saying Rockets can waive Porter, regardless of arrest or ongoing investigation.

The NBA’s collective bargaining agreement with the National Basketball Players Association does not permit the Rockets to discipline a player solely because of an arrest or while the subject of an NBA investigation. The Rockets can, however, waive Porter before the start of the season and have looked to use his contract to work a trade.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/rockets/article/kevin-porter-jr-won-t-return-to-rockets-preseason-18401296.php

Joe Rocket likes this.
  19. heypartner

Joe Rocket and ElPigto like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Stone read from a prepared statement, it was clear this was more than inconvenient and problematic for him.

Jackson Gatlin was the only guy with the tough question.