1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NFL Draft/1-2] C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of C.J. Stroud?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2023.
  1. YES

84.4%
  2. NO

15.6%
  1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

You thought Mills would be a star qb?? Not sure how you saw that.

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Seriously. Never saw the anticipation and trust in his WRs that CJ has. Mills would also ball up into the fetal position at the slightest pressure.

Two Sandwiches, Qan and Fulgore like this.
  3. HeyBudLetsParty

While I never saw star potential in Mills, I think he showed at the end of his rookie year that he could be solid/average with a good system and team around him. I really believe there’s about 25 QBs in the league that would look like a pro bowler if they played in San Francisco.

That being said CJ is obviously way more talented and quicker at processing the field, he’s the type of guy that can elevate the players around him. That’s a very rare trait.

4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

This. Watson’s rookie year you could see that star potential. Same for CJ. Just have that IT factor and the players talk about them differently

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Funny you mention that and I hate to draw parallels to our former QB, but the same reason I felt strongly that CJ would be successful was similar to the last guy -- their ability to ramp it up for big games and play their best when it mattered most during their college years. Now I just have to pray that CJ doesnt like to get his booty hole fingered by massage therapists!

raining threes and red5rocket like this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Mills relied on Brandin Cooks almost exclusively. He was his safety blanket and he would get tunnel vision too often instead of delivering the ball with confidence at guys who may seem covered. I never felt like Davis understood what the defense wanted to do pre snap and would be a rigid system guy. His athleticism never really translated - Davis could not navigate a chaotic pocket successfully. He wasnt making throws before guys were breaking routes. Sure he's a serviceable game manager type that if you have a stout defense and run game he could probably make enough plays to help you win, but he isnt putting a team on his back and being the reason for better play in the passing game.

Qan and HeyBudLetsParty like this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. conquistador#11

It took another qb here 3 seasons to learn to take what defense gave him instead of always going for a spectacular play.
    Stroud does it naturally, another one of the small things.

raining threes and Verbal Christ like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Yup and that is the reason he wasn't at an Alabama or USC - because he is just a flat out player and he isn't afraid to let everyone know.

raining threes likes this.
  10. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Thank You Lovie Smith!

whag00, ROXRAN, macho GRANDE and 2 others like this.
  13. redrowdy03

redrowdy03 Member

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Chase Daniel most likely discussing Shane Day as the coach he was speaking to about CJ.

Blown away about how smart he is.

A veteran QB who was Drew Brees back up was blown away by the speed of his progressions.

We got one boys.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. Starvela

Starvela Contributing Member

Numbers definitely look good but eye test looks even better!!! Man he looks impressive…

Fun question, right now would you trade Stroud for Caleb Williams if you could..? I don’t think I would..

raining threes and ROXRAN like this.
  17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Lol now they want to say CJ is in a better situation. Before the season started the so called experts had the Texans weapons ranked dead last. Great qbs make their weapons better and that’s what CJ is doing.

18. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I always had a feeling our wide receivers would be better than anticipated but I didn’t think they were going to be this good I did not see Nico Collins blowing up, Nor even Tank Dell really and truly getting the trust for the playing time to show what he could do much less Woods being a factor, …The only disappointment is Shultz …I think part of the reason they are doing well is CJ as mentioned also helps

19. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member