1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NFL Draft/1-2] C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of C.J. Stroud?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2023.
  1. YES

84.4%
  2. NO

15.6%
  1. Qan

Qan Member

Dalton has dropped a few balls any competent TE would/should catch in the endzone. It's quite disappointing.

raining threes likes this.
  2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#2302 deb4rockets, Sep 26, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2023
  3. raining threes

This is why if Caserio cant draft Bowers, I hope he drafts Sanders. Did anybody see the one handed catch Sanders made on Saturday. That would sure look good when paired with Stroud.

zeeshan2 likes this.
  4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

One handed catches are the most over blown event in sports.

Omihall23, javal_lon and eliefor3 like this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Yup and Dan Marino, Donovan McNabb, Jim Kelly and Terry Bradshaw all scored 15 on the Wonderlic. I think it worked out well for each guy regardless.

mikol13 and ExTexanNowEastCoast like this.
  6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

To be fair, the creators of the S2 Test mentioned that the scores have no relation to sports.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Neither does the Wondelich. It is to understand overall intellectual functioning and problem solving aptitude. The rumor is that better "thinkers" leads to better players and sometimes that is certainly the case and sometimes guys just have a knack for playing football or whatever sport is in question.

red5rocket likes this.
  8. raining threes

True, but Sanders has been making plays all year.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This is even more true cause week 1 looked a little iffy playcalling wise. I just dont think they really "trusted" CJ yet. Remember they got within the 5 and did 3 straight useless running plays for example - not once letting your best offensive player try and make the play. Among other playcall decisions i was meh on. Week 3 playcalling was obviously complete 180 from that.

houstonstime and deb4rockets like this.
  10. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Slowik definitely deserves a lot of credit, and I think Jerrod Johnson is probably doing a really good job in getting Stroud prepared at the start.

11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That really frustrated me!

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, that was always the pitch of the S2 test, right? It's not the Wonderlic, which I think just tested more basic knowledge. Supposedly the S2 is all about information processing and supposedly directly relates to what a QB needs to see and the decisions he then has to make. But if their test showed that Stroud bombed out pitifully (which I think was always refuted by some but there seemed to be a LOT of "insiders" who claimed it was true) and then he is able to do what he has already done on the NFL stage...well, I think their test needs some refinement.

raining threes and Verbal Christ like this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thats the rub. S2 was supposed to replace an "outdated" general intelligence test and replace it with more of a cognitive measurement of decision making. Its one tool among a litany of others available to help draw a conclusion. Some guys just dont test well in any regard, but can stand strong in the face of adversity on the field or life in general and make the right line decision. Others guys test great in a calm, comfortable environment and then fall apart when things get chaotic around them. CJ is a film rat by some accounts, so eventually he will understand everything that a defense can do to neutralize him its a finite level of information that only changes marginally year over year. He's way ahead of others in just understanding leverage and how to put the ball into a receiver who would be deemed covered by another QB. CJ doesnt need to explain string theory to the team, just limit mistakes and put his guys in position to be successful.

Red.Glare and Two Sandwiches like this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. redrowdy03

redrowdy03 Member

16. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I think the main thing Stroud is showing, at least so far (this is still a small size) is that what matters most for a QB is accuracy, decision making, and arm talent.
    S2 scores, athleticism, arm strength, it’s all gravy.

if you can put the ball exactly where you want it, when you want it, nothing else matters as much. And we have yet to have a qb that can do it like this.

17. conquistador#11

18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

This was a great breakdown.

19. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

10:02 - “he is not a scrambler, but he is good out of the pocket, good on the move”

I think that is a distinction we haven’t really made yet. It’s been all about athleticism, wiggle, making guys miss, and running away from defenders trying to catch him.
    Maybe he is not elite at that like Richardson, Lamar, etc. but he can move enough to get the throw off and the throws are hitting guys in the hands. Stroud is really making me come around on what I thought were negatives for him. Hope he keeps it up.

20. conquistador#11