1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Heavy investment in Kevin Porter Jr raises serious questions about Rockets front office

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 20, 2023.

1. i3artow i3aller

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Rightfully so. This article added red flags of Stone to the red flags of Porter Jr.

If a GM is blind to see certain things.....that is dangerous.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This off-season the Rockets FO added a new very well respected HC, drafted well and signed two high profile FAs, likely on the strength of the new HC. The new HC Udoka made damn sure he got the PG he wanted to run his team. The GM Stone also drafted a PG who should be getting the backup PG minutes (at least by the end the season).

Going into this season, KPJ lost his starting PG role to FA FVV. Given KPJ's track record, transitioning to a backup role would not be pretty. IMO it was a 50/50 proposition whether KPJ would melt down or not. The question of KPJ's maturity has now been answered, even before the season starts.

Setting KPJ free should be a win-win situation. KPJ won't be a problem next season for the Rockets. KPJ has a very difficult road ahead on him, getting back to the NBA. This may be his last chance wake up call to get his **** together.

#144 No Worries, Sep 21, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
  5. MystikArkitect

There are a few members in Rockets fandom (this guy and that Bradeaux guy along with a few other YTers I care not to mention) that were constantly at the defense of KPj when everyone else could see otherwise. You can tell who they were because they're the ones that after *everything* we've seen out of KPj for years, at Cleveland and at USC were *still* saying "hey now let's pump the brakes lets see what the allegations are first". You have that reaction when someone has no history of violent or criminal offenses. But damn did they run to his defense at every single juncture. Wonder why?

daywalker02 and kubli9 like this.
  6. topfive

topfive CF OG

Just for a second, let's put aside the prior suspensions, locker room fits, weed and gun charges, accusations of violence against women, quitting games at halftime, throwing things at people, shoving coaches... all of that questionable behavior.

JUST looking at KPJ's occasionally problematic on-court behavior, he still should have been disciplined. Quitting mid-play, getting surly with teammates, refusing to come out of the game -- getting this kind of bullish!t from any player, especially a starter, is bad enough, but you really need your PG to be the leader and emotional heart of the team. Even more so when you have a team filled with under-21s.

KPJ should have been benched and suspended repeatedly just for his on-court actions. Not doing this set a terrible precedent for the other young players, regardless whether the decision came from the coach/GM/owner/owner's little boy.

Remember mid-season last year there was talk of Jabari questioning things regarding other players and the coaching decisions? Hmm...

#146 topfive, Sep 21, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
  7. a time to chill

I agree with the sentiment here. It seems that most local reporters are scared to report information that may put the teams they cover in a negative light. They need to remember they don't work for the Rockets. They work for their readers/audience. If they know something that hasn't been confirmed, they should work to confirm the veracity so they can be able to report it as any good reporter would do. Usually they let the national media/reporters break the news and when that happens they come on twitter to take a victory lap talking about I always knew or I tried to warn y'all. LMAO.

J.R. likes this.
  8. xaos

xaos Member

Yeah Chop shop has my favorite Rockets talk out there.

noppeper and dobro1229 like this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Journalism in this country is a lost cause. There is no reporting of straight facts not influenced by those writing their paychecks. Politics, Sports, Entertainment reporting is all about the almighty dollar. Journalistic integrity is dead.

10. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

He’ll either be cut by us or the team he’s traded to. That’s a certainty. He won’t get a dollar more than he’s owed regardless

xaos likes this.
  11. xaos

xaos Member

Yeah Chop shop has my favorite Rockets talk out there.

12. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

This. All of this doubling down on decisions that were CLEARLY NOT working and detrimental to the development of other players (I will NEVER understand Nix and forcing the KPJ at PG experiment) is a reflection of Stone's ego. Interested on how this season will play out for Stone but I think (and hope), that basketball will be left for Udoka to decide. So far, I like that Ime stepped in to stop that Harden comeback nonesense.

cheke64, AroundTheWorld and dobro1229 like this.
  13. MystikArkitect

Hopefully all of it goes to the victim(s).

Jayzers_100 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  14. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Great article @Clutch!!

If after reading that article you are not convinced that Stoned needs to be axed then I truly digress!!

Sucks that Tilly doesn't really know how to be a good owner! He's dead center in the middle of all this crap!!

Go Rockets!!!

mikol13, DeBeards, ArtV and 1 other person like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

DaDakota likes this.
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That's not a bad play by KPJ, he also had a mismatch, and Sengun was well-positioned for an offensive rebound/putback.

If you hoop you know this is a common play. If your big has a mismatch in the paint put up a 3, if you miss he likely gets the board.

The dude has problems and his assault is awful, but to retroactively act like everything he did was the devil reincarnate is ridiculous. Why did they cut the play before KPJ's shot, did he make it? lol

DasouthDakota and Verbal Christ like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is not Catch and Shoot when he is either fumbling around giving directions or taking two dribbles and then shoot.

That is taking himself out of rhythm and stagnating the Offense. The dribbling is redundant after catching the ball.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Haha, @Bobbythegreat spent a whole year complaining about how Jalen and Jabari would get preferential treatment over KPJ, when in reality it was KPJ being coddled and propped up undeservingly by the organization the whole time. Just add this to the countless number of instances he has been wrong.

IvanLCPM, Deuce, Pistol Pete and 4 others like this.
  19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Now you're responding to something I didn't even talk about

The video is cut off because he makes the shot.

Is it better if he catches and shoots? Yes, but every player has their own rhythm, and sometimes you don't feel ready for the catch-and-shoot even if you have the space. If you play you know, if you watch you know, but yes in almost every case it's smarter to release on the catch, some players just really want the feel of a dribble or two due to the rhythm.

There's nothing in that video that shows KPJ being "toxic" to the team or whatever point twitter man is trying to make, IMO.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Just because it was cut off and he makes the shot does not make it a great shot.

But okay I guess........I meant overall his playing style was very stagnant not just here against the Clips.

Someone that young and much leaner than Harden prefers to play like Harden without all of Harden`s skillset? Okay.

He prefers to play a certain heliocentric way, that is not going to work with him not being super star.