1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[ClutchFans] Heavy investment in Kevin Porter Jr raises serious questions about Rockets front office

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 20, 2023.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

My question was, a player on any team PAST OR PRESENT!

The point of the question was to show that every team has dealt with a player who has been through the same things The Rockets are going through....its nothing new.

2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

My question was, a player on any team PAST OR PRESENT!

The point of the question was to show that every team has dealt with a player who has been through the same things The Rockets are going through....its nothing new.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

So when did okc deal with trouble maker Anthony morrow? Apparently In 2023 when he was 6 years removed from the team and hasn’t been in the league since. LOL the iq of a potato

okc better prepare for the backlash and questions of their locker room! Put woj and shams on alert!

*newsflash* nobody in okc gives af about morrow bc it has 0 to do with them and that’s why nobody even heard about him and his incident. Nobody gives a shitt

#83 YOLO, Sep 20, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
    don grahamleone likes this.
  4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Y'all need to stop idiolizing these players. Harden and his body guard was caught up in an assault case in a club a few years back as well, if Im not mistaken with Moses Malone's son, if I recall correctly.

Like I said before, its only what we hear and see in the news. So much else is going on that is covered up.

Shaman Smith and DasouthDakota like this.
  5. clos4life

clos4life Member

You know you f'ed up when Clutch is willing to suddenly write an article and post it in the front page of the site for all to read. I don't think I've ever seen Clutch be so openly critical of the Rockets before. Tidbits here and there, but this is scorched earth levels of honesty from him.

Now, if we can only get him to turn around on Sengun as well...

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Wow Clutch, I thought FO over calculated and wanted to dump him come trade deadline while puffing up his value. His ass should've been gone on draft day for a 2nd rounder to stash and cap space to maneuver.

Instead it's worse and more like Hanlon's Razor

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."​

Our FO isn't playing chess, they're coloring inside the board with crayons.

7. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Well I made my question clear or at least I thought I did. I clearly said "Players past or present.'

2017 would be considered the PAST, just to clarify. Also, if you look at the past 10yrs, OKC has had over 5 players to get arrested for violent crimes.

8. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Well I made my question clear or at least I thought I did. I clearly said "Players past or present.'

2017 would be considered the PAST, just to clarify. Also, if you look at their past 10yrs, OKC has had over 5 players to get arrested for violent crimes.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

LOL. The fact that you don’t even fathom how silly you sound is pretty pathetic

okc is such a horrible organization. Having all these violent criminals. Is that why we’ve heard about them being so bad? Oh wait, it’s the opposite LOL

lnchan likes this.
  10. prs325

prs325 Member

Rockets attached multiple 2nd round picks to the wrong players
    Another mis-judgement by the Stone

11. a time to chill

It’s not just KPJ. We also need to look into why players like Garrison Mathews and Dashien Nix were prioritized over recent 1st round draft picks (e.g. Josh Christopher). I remember Coty Davis on Houston Roundball Review said that Stone wanted Nix to get those minutes. It makes sense because Stone could’ve waived Nix if Silas was being stubborn.

Even before the KPJ domestic violence incident, I became critical of Stone and the front office for how this past season was handled. Besides the KPJ experiment, here are my two main gripes with Stone.
    • Selling to Fertitta the idea that tanking would net us a franchise player in the Rockets’ post-Harden era. I was against deliberately tanking because it ruins the culture and there are no guarantees with the lottery. We tanked for 3 years and not once got the #1 pick. Furthermore, you can still come away with a really good player in the middle of the first round (e.g. Jalen Williams, Franz Wagner). Stone should’ve done all he could to field a competitive team. We still would’ve lost and been in the lottery, but the priority should’ve been to develop a winning culture where rookies could be held accountable by a bench with a little bit of depth rather force feeding inexperienced players minutes for development (i.e tanking) purposes.
    • Scapegoating Silas. Silas was ridiculed relentlessly by Rockets fans because he was forced to be the face of a tank while Stone hid in the shadows like a coward. When Silas was let go, Stone had the gall to say that “life isn’t fair” when asked about whether Silas had a fair shot with the G-League level roster that was forced upon him. I didn’t like that the Rockets went all in on tanking and then seemed to be shocked at the win loss record during the course of the tank when fans and media started to criticize the organization. Fertitta even said, “Pray for Victor!” Make no mistake, the Rockets wanted one of the three worst records in the league which provided them the best opportunity at Wemby. Last offseason, Stone just used the draft to bring in new players and made no effort to bring in veteran free agents or make trades to field a more competitive roster. I’m optimistic about Udoka, but I feel Silas never had a real shot while with the Rockets to show how good of a coach he is because Stone stripped down the roster to its studs, and meddled with the coaching. The way Silas was treated just seems wrong to me. The very last game of the season, the Athletic published that article about Silas being let go as soon as the final buzzer sounded. Someone in Stone’s front office probably leaked that info out. No class whatsoever.

I strongly feel that we should hold Stone accountable if we don’t win at least 40 games this year. This team’s ceiling depends on the progress of Green, Smith, and Sengun. If we don’t win at least 40 games, it would mean that neither of those 3 players delivered on their potential. We can no longer blame coaching because Udoka is supposed to be an upgrade with a proven track record in Boston.

The only good thing people can say about Stone is that he does well in the draft. However, we don’t really know that because we are still waiting for these players to reach their potential. This season will reveal how good Green, Smith and Sengun are and whether tanking for high draft picks was worth it.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't believe Stone is a good GM by any means. I don't think he will be fired for this KPJ situation considering Tilman enjoyed talking to KPJ more than any other player - shockingly. Still, he should be fired for just being a poor GM. I'm not holding my breath though.

13. MystikArkitect

Maybe. But absolutely no one outside of the most deluded KPj fans thought he was going to command anything close to a FRP or a serviceable role player. He should've (obviously) been cut the minute he stormed our at half time but somehow he remained. This organization is run by three morons (Fertitta, Boss Baby, Stone) that have honestly lucked into some amazing draft positioning.

Hopefully Udoka runs this with a steady hand and I don't ever have to hear or see Stone again. Wish he'd get fired and have Udoka appoint his own GM.

Shaman Smith and kubli9 like this.
  14. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

Stuck with Silas as the front page for 6 monhs, now we will be stuck with KPJ and Stone as the front page for 6 months. Is Clutch sadistic?

15. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Clutch, that is a fantastic article you wrote….agree 100%. You forgot to mention the strip club incident where Brown got his face messed up and Porter went into the bus to fight the guys at 4 in the morning on a game day. Stone should be fired for hiring Silas, signing Nix, and for getting rid of KMJ instead of KPJ. AWFUL GM who lies to us every trade deadline about the big deals he almost made. An awful person as well for hiring a weak coach and then bullying him into having to not play the players he wanted and making him look even weaker and less respectful to the team. FIRE STONE!!!

16. amaru

amaru Member

Cut the crap. Harden hurt your feelings by saying this franchise is crazy (this offseason proved him 100% correct) and leaving. KPJ hit his girlfriend so many times that he broke bones in her neck. He may have very well beat her to death had she not escaped

Nothing, and I mean absolutely NOTHING Harden did wrong comes ANYWHERE close to that level of evil.

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

This off season would've been a good time to unload him.
    I dont think he will be either. And honestly im hoping hes learned a lesson from this.

And also, i think from a culture and discipline standpoint Udoka, Van Fleet and Brooks will bring a different feeling to the team. And i really think the guys that are still here are serious about basketball and handling their business. Jabari, Tari, Sengun, Amen and even Jalen.

I expect a more professional team next year.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This may have already been asked and answered but does any of that article make you wonder if maybe there’s a good head coach in Silas and we never got to find out because the GM was dictating the lineup? The comments that Wall claims he made to him sound like the words of a man being judged for decisions he wasn’t making.

20. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Teams have been dealing with suspect characters for as long as sports have existed. It used to be said if Charles Manson had a jumper someone would sign him and believe they could keep him under control.

J.R. likes this.