1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tillman Fertitta - Laughingstock of NBA Ownership!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Nov 15, 2021.

1. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Yah I don’t think this is true at all.

2. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you or have you ever lived in Houston? The Rockets have always been 3rd place behind the NFL teams (Oilers or Texans) and Astros. This was the case even when the team was winning championships.

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Rockets were the first championship team for this city. They hold a very near and dear place for many. Houston and Texas as a whole is Football Country and that will probably never change. The Texans havent been relevant in 20 years and they still sell out every single game (fan attendance notwithstanding). The Astros have come on hard the last few years and have assembled a dynasty with a rich history, but they have had to fight off their own scandal. The city still loves them because they WIN. To say the ROX are least loved by this city is just more grandstanding for drama points and a clear sign of the halo effect firmly engrained with this fanbase (mainly here on CFans if Im being honest). Houston supports winners. They ebb and flow in the fair weather fan pattern and rightfully so due to all the heartbreaks the sports fans of this city have endured. Provide them with a winning product and they will show up for you. Fans at large arent thinking about Tilman Fertitta when they have to fork over 400 bucks to take the family out to a game. They are thinking about the players on the court/field and the quality of the product as a whole and whether there is value there in the entertainment aspect of the event vs going to the movies, zoo, or any other outing (none of which are "cheap" anymore).

4. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Yah I don’t think this is true at all.
    Yes, I am from Houston. My entire family still lives there but I live in Austin and have since college. 3rd place according to whom? I can’t find any reputable polling on the issue. I concede this is a football state and people will go to a Texans game over anything else even when we suck (basically 85% of our existence). But does that mean the Rockets are not popular? Definitely disagree.

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

The current owner might be a bit more tolerable if not for these things:

1. The legacy of Bud Adams, one of the worst NFL owners ever--once you've experienced one bad owner, you are quick to see the venality and incompetence in other owners.
    2. The Texans (still think that's a stupid name) owner hiring BOB and allowing other travesties.
    3. The current owner's insistence on nepotism.
    4. The current owner's belief that wealth equals intelligence in every realm.
    5. The current owner's desire to loudly proclaim his politics.
    6. The current owner's need for Yes-Men.
    7. The current owner's acquiescence to a GM inserting himself into the day-today activities and practices of the team.
    8. The current owner's approval for the team culture to be demolished in pursuit of Wemby and GM vanity projects.
    9. The contrasting example of a well-run Astros organization--we know what success looks like and this ain't it.

Der Rabbi, Rashmon and kubli9 like this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well technically the Houston Oilers in 60-62 were the first championship in the city, but most of us weren't around then, so yep it is the Rox.

DD

Verbal Christ likes this.
  7. kubli9

Supporting Member

People from Houston know it to be true, maybe you just didn't have a good read on things. Houston is a football city first and baseball city second.

https://www.espn.com/nba/attendance
    Rockets 2nd to last in home attendance and near the bottom in road attendance. They aren't popular, especially in their own city. If it weren't for huge corporations downtown buying season tickets for the lower bowl, it would be even worse.

8. theredbackpack

houston is weird because it is very much a football city but it feels like the texans are second to whatever team you support, whether it's college or high school or (god) the cowboys. when i was growing up, the astros felt like a distant third in the race because outside 98-99 and 04-05 they were just doing their own thing...rockets have always felt vital to the city, and the last three years is the only time i feel like that hasn't been true which is a shame. houston really loves the rockets. astros are obviously right now though THE team inarguably.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You guys can always cheer for the Mavs or the Spurs.....if you can't stand Tillman....

DD

Dobbizzle and Verbal Christ like this.
  10. mesh

mesh New Member

attendance usually drops off when you suck... go look at the years the Astros sucked :)

theredbackpack and Verbal Christ like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There are much better built and owned franchises than Dallas.

You follow the brand, you are not following Tilman, you just crap on him.

12. kubli9

Supporting Member

The Mavs with Mark Cuban are a great example of how to run an NBA franchise and exactly what Tillman isn't doing. The difference is that Cuban realized NBA basketball should be about fun and not a business you try to turn a profit on at every turn. I could never be a Mavs fan but I would swap owners with them in a heartbeat.

clos4life likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

DD telling fans to go root for other teams because they dislike the owner.

[​IMG]

DD can always go root for the Spurs.

Didn’t he also have an account on SpursTalk?

Not one Nickel - not one Dime - you hear me Les!

I have been a Rockets fan since the 1972 - 73 season, have been through thick and thin with this organization, I care, probably too much about this team.

This is by far and away the WORST I have felt about the team, ever. Even during the tanking years, most of the guys were at least giving effort.

So, my ticket Rep emails me - I live in Austin, but go to a few games a year - and I wrote him back this:

I will not spend one nickel on anything Rockets related until I see them playing hard, and trying.

No Jerseys for my kids, no tickets for the family, nothing - I am embarrassed by this team, and the players on it, the lack of leadership, and the lack of professionalism I want to see from a team I support.

So please tell Les, that as a long time fan, until I see them competing on a nightly basis, that my money will go toward something else.

Now, I am paraphrasing and I doubt it gets to Les, but I also would not be surprised if I am the ONLY one feeling this way.

Anyway - I will cheer them on, but from the TV, hoping that the team and it's alleged Star players suddenly decide to care and play hard again.

Until then - this is Scrooge McDDuck signing off.

DD

#113 J.R., Sep 15, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2023
  14. kubli9

Supporting Member

LOL. Go root for the Mavs then @DaDakota ! What a f*cking hypocrite!

Arnel, J.R. and YOLO like this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

[​IMG]

Arnel likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Why did the rebuild occur?

kubli9 likes this.
  18. napalm06

Clutchfans is more than one person

fattz and Easy like this.
  19. napalm06

My man, he bought that team at its absolute zenith. Why did he blow it up and rebuild? Intention, or incompetence? Bad luck, or bad actions? If a rebuild was intentional why did Morey's defection to Philly and Harden's departures both catch him by surprise? Why did he say Paul was the worst contract in sports? Why take credit for the Westbrook trade? Why force Dantonis wife to lawyer up? Why stop a 60 win team from using luxury tax? Why the Wall-Oladipo-Wood year attempting to be competitive? Let the facts guide you.

20. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Really? Didn’t know that. thx

[​IMG]