1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to fire Stone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by my time to shine, Oct 30, 2022.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

Stone needs to be fired immediately.

clutchdabear, slothy420 and kubli9 like this.
  2. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

negatives:
    1- hiring Silas
    2- not firing Silas
    3- no vets on a rebuilding team
    4- making kpj pg
    5- not stopping the kpj pg experiment
    6- making kpj head honcho
    7- wood
    8- not dealing wood and kpj properly
    9- sacrificing development of everyone in favor of kpj
    10- anti Sengun stuff: Bruno before sengun, media bits on how Sengun is lazy etc.
    11- not good in trades

positives:
    1- good draft performance overall. Even jc and Garuba could have some value under decent coaching.

BaselineFade likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

negatives:
    1- hiring Silas - Horrible, but hoped to keep Harden net nuetral
    2- not firing Silas - Negative
    3- no vets on a rebuilding team - Positive, we were tanking on purpose
    4- making kpj pg - Positive we got him free, tanking and led to better drafts
    5- not stopping the kpj pg experiment - Did stop it after tanking was over.
    6- making kpj head honcho- Neutral - only temporary while we tanked
    7- wood - was brought to play with Harden - moved on - Neutral
    8- not dealing wood and kpj properly - Neutral - not much market was building one
    9- sacrificing development of everyone in favor of kpj - NEGATIVE - agreed
    10- anti Sengun stuff: Bruno before sengun, media bits on how Sengun is lazy etc.- He didn't say any of that - come on...
    11- not good in trades - That is TBD - based upon the roster we have now

positives:
    1- good draft performance overall. Even jc and Garuba could have some value under decent coaching.

My comments in your post.....Stone has done a decent job doing what the org wanted....Tank for 3 years, draft well, head into phase 2....here we are.....

KPJ blew up - that is on him, but I don't blame him for TRYING to see if he would grow out of his issues....he didn't.

DD

rpr52121 likes this.
  4. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I believe in 2nd chances... even 3rd chances, but 4th or 5th... the chance should be elsewhere and someone else should be given a first chance. Plus, forgiveness requires some contrition.

5. lnchan

You didn't even mention the owner who has a history that is shrouded in sketchiness..

6. lnchan

Look up Tilman's family history... and it will make sense.

DaDakota likes this.
  7. OremLK

OremLK Member

The fact that we're now hearing the front office was covering up other violent behavior (and there are probably more incidents we haven't heard about) is pretty damning. The organization wasted millions of dollars, and just as importantly, 4766 NBA minutes that could have been used to develop a different player, on a known headcase. Imagine if we'd instead been the team to find and develop Austin Reaves, for instance.

I was 50/50 on Stone, but now I'm leaning toward wanting him gone.

8. DaDakota

Worse, where are the REPORTERS? This is the kind of stuff that should be reported and investigated - but our Houston professional media - never does.....people look for popularity these days instead of doing the hard work and digging out of sources like they used to.....where is Dale Robertson and Fran Blinebury when you need them?

DD

rpr52121, OremLK and kubli9 like this.
  9. mightybosstone

On the whole "Rockets will face consequences for this" argument, I kinda seriously doubt it. Doing so would force the NBA to acknowledge that an owner and front office of one of their organizations knew that they had a player who was abusing his girlfriend. You really think the NBA is going to want to publicize that information? Unless that information becomes public somehow (assuming it's true), I doubt the NBA would welcome bringing that bad publicity upon itself just to punish Tilman and co.

10. DaDakota

Yeah this won't reflect on the Org at all once the season starts, there is no lasting damage when a player goes bonkers that is on him...not the team.

DD

11. mightybosstone

Yes and no. His individual actions are certainly his own. But I 100% agree with Nook's assessment that the Rockets organization didn't exactly reign him in and—by not providing any consequences for his actions and building him up as a leader—may have actually enabled the poor behavior. In an idealistic world where everyone responsible for something like this got their just desserts, the Rockets should probably face some kind of punishment. But you could also argue that the NBA's leaders, in letting players like KPJ make millions of dollars in the first place in their league, are also complicit in enabling poor behavior. Did the NBA step in to punish KPJ for his many transgressions prior to this? No.

Bottom line, I doubt anyone besides KPJ will face any real consequences from this regardless of guilt.

12. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe enough of a fine to the team would piss off Tilman enough that he'd fire Stone. I'm not hoping for lost draft picks, I don't even think the league has the authority to do that.

13. kubli9

Supporting Member

I disagree. This has been a national story (on the front page of ESPN for 3 days now) and if it comes out that the team knew about KPJ's past abusive behavior, Adam Silver's hand will be forced. I could easily see a hefty fine for Tilman.

dobro1229 and justinh like this.
  14. kubli9

Supporting Member

The Houston media needs to grow a pair and start asking the hard questions, this has been a problem for years.

15. mightybosstone

As for the point of this thread and whether KPJ's charges will result in firing, I'd put those odds somewhere next to zero. Similar to my take above on whether the NBA would punish the Rockets, I don't think the Rockets are likely to punish Stone—whether he had knowledge of any prior abuse or not. it would take that information to become public for Tilman to actually do anything. But from a PR standpoint, it's much safer for them to play innocent, immediately cut ties with KPJ and turn their focus to all of the other positives from the offseason heading into the season. It's much easier to deflect than it is to fix institutional problems within the organization. Expect more of the same.

16. mightybosstone

The Houston Texans say "hi." I'm still waiting for their punishment given that there's a 100% likelihood there were people in the organization who knew what Watson was doing. There's even less likelihood here that anyone's going to be able to prove that the Rockets front office knew about any prior abuse by KPJ. We also don't know what exactly the prior abuse entailed, as it was clearly never publicized. The franchises who employ people who commit domestic or sexual abuse basically never face any consequences—why would this be any different?

DaDakota likes this.
  17. justinh

justinh Member

The majority of the media (NBA or otherwise) is there to support narratives, not expose truths. Do you think anyone in the NBA wanted this to get out?

18. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Yeah but that's to be expected whenever something like this happens. The media will always be looking to label the organization as an enabler. However, in this case, I simply don't see the Rockets organization in that light. I believe Silas and Lucas were really trying to help KPJ straighten out and realize his potential. Of course, now. that's all out the window and KPJ is done playing in the Association.

19. DaDakota

Nook is right they didn't and there are no consequences for taking a shot on a talented troubled player, they will just move on like he was never here.

DD

roslolian likes this.
  20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

From the outside looking in, I think Stone has been fine. He has amassed a pretty impressive core of young talent after three rebuilding seasons and didn't even have one #1 draft pick.

Him keeping Silas long after we all realized he was a horrendous coach (which created a poor environment for young players), as well as coddling our young players and not breeding a culture of accountability is bad. But I'm willing to see how he performs now that we are trying to win and not develop.