1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets need the FIBA version of Dillon Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HTown1977, Sep 5, 2023.

1. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

Honestly, I feel like this is the worst thing that could’ve happened. I was thrilled with all these 4/6 shooting games where he was taking a backseat on offense and impacting the game in other ways. If he starts (continues) thinking he should be taking 18 shots a night, which this performance only reenforced, we are in deep trouble. Cause he isn’t making 12 of them most nights…

We all already knew he was capable of a massive game, him inefficiently chasing the big statline has been his problem. Through that lens, this seems bad.

napalm06 and Easy like this.
  2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Yes, it’s bad that the guy we just signed had an incredible game.

I swear, y’all say the silliest things.

VoR, IvanLCPM, glynch and 17 others like this.
  3. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

It’s potentially bad this guy we just signed who we certainly dont want taking a bunch of shots, and who we know has a strong tendancy to take a bunch of shots, will now have another big reason to feel justified in taking a bunch of shots (which we dont want him to do).

So, yes, an increased likelihood of something happening that you dont want to happen could be considered ‘bad’.

If you do want Brooks going 4/15 every night, you should be thrilled about this.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Let those guys celebrate.

I think you have a point, that could very well happen, we will talk about it in 2 months.

Yung-T and mikenm268 like this.
  5. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

Fair enough - just sharing a thought, not here to fight with anyone.

Personally, I’m much more encouraged by the fact he showed over the course of the tourney that he was one of the best players on a good Canada team and can be a difference maker, contributing positively to winning basketball (the role we actually want him to play for the Rockets) than I am he dropped 39 yesterday…

HD729, Williamson and daywalker02 like this.
  6. meh

meh Contributing Member

I mean I know it's World Cup and people dgaf and probably never watch any of the games, but surely even if you box score watch you'd realize this doesn't make common sense.

One, Brooks is at worst the 4th option on the Canadian team. And honestly there is very little separation between him and Dort/Barrett in this regard as they have all been below average efficient shooters in the NBA. And how many shots do 4th options take? If you look at the Rockets last year, that's basically Jabari, who took 11.3 shots in 31mpg.

Two, he played 42 minutes, because Canada's entire roster is 5 deep. His 18 shots in 42 minutes is actually LOWER than his attempt rate in all his past 4 seasons. So he's not shooting a lot. He simply made a lot of shots

Three, from just the highlight reel it's clear he's doing mostly the right stuff on offense. His 3s are from kickoffs. His 2s are when he managed to get into the paint or close to it. He didn't get hi 39 points because he was taking tough shots and making them. He was making shots that are within the flow of the offense.

And four, many people here have been arguing that Brooks issue isn't shot selection but that he's a bad shooter. And this FIBA run clearly shows otherwise. His 3pt from looks fine and he's making them from different parts of the floor. He has the handles to attack closeouts when they occur. It's clear that "skillset" wise, he is what you'd want from a 3&D player. And this looked like the case since the beginning of the tournament not just this game

kubli9, glynch, Williamson and 3 others like this.
  7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Some of y’all are more concerned with being right than the Rockets winning.

HD729, glynch, glimmertwins and 4 others like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He started out as a 4th option but by the end of the tourney, the coach made him the 2nd or 3rd option after Olynyk consecutively was in foul trouble and RJ Barrett, well RJ, was inconsistent scoring wise.

Followed this along the way.

Memphis fans already testified that Dillon only deferred to Ja Morant, whenever Ja was out, he felt he had to take over.

I mean he is 27 but by the end of his contract, at 30, you do not want him to take away shots from the rising players.

I think you could go back and he see that he shot more shots than NBA champ Jamal Murray on the Nuggets at certain times.

#88 daywalker02, Sep 10, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2023
  9. VoR

VoR Member

He played made. We got the right guy and we didn't overpay him.

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

As long as he defers to Ime, things will be fine.

HD729, mikenm268 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

If he's not fitting within the system they'll have traded him long before he gets toward the end of his contract. So no worries there. A guy with his defensive ability will not be untradeable. Somebody will want him.

HD729 likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

We could also use Summer Pick Up game Ben Simmons

14. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

You are really leaning on this reductive, thoughtless “y’all do X” form of response today.

Personally, I’m hoping to be wrong about Brooks and my concerns about his chucking shots, because I want the Rockets to be successful and I want our core to develop to the maximum of their potential.

Mathloom likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

My understanding of things is that if you have problems, solving them, esp. the complex ones, make you more formidable.

Ren ason likes this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, now who is going to tell him he's not the offensive hero he thinks he is? This could be worse than KPJ's 50-point game.

mikenm268 likes this.
  17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Its not unprecedented to have a guy that you dont want to fan the flames of his shot volume.

This includes Russell Westbrook as a Rocket and Trevor Ariza's first Rockets stint, which has some very insightful parallels for Brooks for those that don't remember it.

mikenm268 and Easy like this.
  18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

If he can put up 84% TS with 88% from 3pt land like against Team USA then I think this will be a value signing.

Easy, apollo33 and mikenm268 like this.
  19. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

alright I am officially sold on Dillon Brooks, I had the whole day to think about it, when he said "I just have to bring it down to Houston"
    Mad Max, Dilly Dill? Pickle Salt Brooks, I remember the happiest days of my life is watching a rockets jersey with Brooks on the back, gonna be fun, I think this team might just run the gamut for fun indeed:D

20. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

we did draft the poor guy
    so this is coming home
    htown gets a new brooks!