1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Baker

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Jeremy Williams, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

2. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Dusty is such an utterly incompetent manager. It's truly amazing.

3. SuraGotMadHops

It's only a matter of time before Dusty goes full Hank McRae on everybody

4. Radricky

Radricky Member

5. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

So Chas packed on a few pounds which has helped with his hitting/slugging but Dusty has a problem with it because he's .4 seconds slower. Dubon put on 15-20 lbs to do the same but he’s all gravy with it?

6. Summer Song Giver

It's not even hard.
    chas CF
    unc mike / yordan LF/DH
    diaz C
    dubon everywhere as needed
    maldy C as needed

7. Qan

Qan Member

That's too easy. I like drama and complications...so does Dusty.

raining threes and Stephen66 like this.
  8. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

View attachment 16006
    The Duster has to get his son Mauricio in the game or momma gon be mad and when momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy.

aint-nobody-got-time-for-that-kimberly-wilkins.gif

9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Maybe he needs to give the non sugar free Banana pudding

10. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

Wondering how much good a change.org petition calling for the removal of JAHHNNIE Dust-collecting-on-your-bats-see-I-drink-your-pudding-shake-cuz-I-run-this-house-I'm-your-career-and-dreams-of-a-dynasty-Taker due to blatant mismanagement, inability to look at facts & discern, intentional lying to fans/media (and possibly members of the organization).

Betting with enough shares through social platforms, could get enough names to bring enough attention to ownership / people at the top....??

everyday eddie likes this.
  11. Qan

Qan Member

Absolutely nothing.

InTheGroove likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Why they won’t: Johnnie Baker

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/in.../mlb-playoff-contenders-win-2023-world-series

Houston Astros

Why they can win the World Series: Yeah, it kind of seems like the Astros were sleepwalking a bit through the first few months, but now that the pennant drive is in full force, they've moved into first place and are the healthiest they've been all season -- not to mention that Justin Verlander gave them a much-needed addition to the rotation. As they showed in their recent three-game demolition of the Rangers, with Alvarez, Jose Altuve, Kyle Tucker and Alex Bregman, the meat of their order remains difficult to navigate.

Why they won't: The rotation is hardly a sure thing, as even Framber Valdez had a rough stretch there -- and don't forget that right before that Texas series, the Yankees swept Houston. The biggest issue might be manager Dusty Baker and his penchant for relying too much on his favorite veterans.

Michael Brantley's return suddenly pushes Chas McCormick's playing time into jeopardy (even though he has been terrific at the plate), as Baker also increasingly prefers Mauricio Dubon's defense in center field. Granted, Brantley's first week has been outstanding. Will Baker play Martin Maldonado over Yainer Diaz at catcher, even though Diaz is the far better hitter, has the better arm (much higher caught stealing percentage) and even has better framing metrics? Will Baker be slow to remove Verlander from games, as was the case a couple times last October?

Verdict: Real. Those are small nitpicks, of course. The Astros know how to show up in October, having reached six consecutive ALCS (and four World Series). Bet against them at your own peril. But also bet on them at your own peril: No team has repeated since the 2000 Yankees.

ryan_98, InTheGroove and rockbox like this.
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

The combination of tired pitching and Dusty’s incompetence is a killer. It’s apparent that the FO is going to do nothing to combat Dusty’s intransigence and is sacrificing our chance at a repeat. Crane is the best owner we have had in Houston, but I think old-age stubbornness is getting to him and he is forgetting how far analytics and out of the box thinking has brought him and this organization.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Dusty has been great in the playoffs, the last 3 seasons. All his horrible decisions have been in the regular season. The only reason we are really complaining this year, is that the playoffs are not a given like they were in prior seasons because Seattle and Texas are more competitive. As long as we win the division, all will be forgiven until next season.

I don't know if Chas will ever forgive him if lack of playing time affects his arbitration. I don't know how arbitration works, but that's potentially millions of dollars. Brown better do right by Chas if playing time does impact his valuation. I'm hoping we extend Chas this offseason for 2-3 season.

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Generally, billion dollar organizations rarely do right by their employees when it comes to matters like this, but I hope we're pleasantly surprised. And while it might not be as egregious given the position, and the fact that there's a lot more to learn than just swinging a bat or fielding a ball, there is an argument to be made that Dusty might have also cost Yainer a ROY award.

Stephen66 and Tomstro like this.
  16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

In this case, it would pennywise and pound foolish. We want to keep Chas, so you make it right.

lnchan and Tomstro like this.
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

In prior post-seasons we had the best pitching staff in the league, and, arguably the best in post-season history. Dusty won’t have that luxury this year. So we will see, if his Maldonado and Dubon at all costs plays out in the playoffs, I have no doubt we will not repeat.

18. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

I'm just glad his ignorance and foolishness and buffoonery are being criticized by local / national media and smoke is starting to appear at this point.
    Crane/Brown have to be seeing & hearing the the negative press / attention.

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The real test will be what Dusty's lineups look like from today onward. I don't think yesterday's roster was lost on anyone other than the boomers who call into sports radio to b**** about how nobody appreciates Dusty's wisdom.

InTheGroove likes this.
  20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

The lineup is out. Regular old Dusty.

raining threes likes this.