1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yainer Diaz Rocks!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, Jun 22, 2023.

1. noppeper

noppeper Member

Honestly, I want Yainer playing at the expense of either Maldonado or Abreu. I'm just trying to be more realistic, since it's pretty clear that it's not just a management decision to play Maldy, it's also our most elite pitchers who want him as the backstop. He also proved to be able to lead a staff to a championship, so I give him slack for that as well.

I do agree that Abreu has looked a bit better since coming off the IL, but the results are still not there. He is also not very good defensively, is one of the slowest base runners I've ever seen, and just generally doesn't bring much to the table, unless he is mashing. Since he is not hitting the cover off the ball, he is an extreme negative out there - he can't even beat out double plays to extend innings, or steal bases, or tell his teammates "dont worry, we are champions, we'll get this" when things are going sour.

I do hope you are right in your projections, since that would be awesome for us. But after having seen him all season, it's hard not to be skeptical.

The Beard likes this.
  2. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

i had no idea Bibee has that kind of numbers

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Cleveland’s ability to create ToR SP from nothing is unparalleled.

vince and Wulaw Horn like this.
  4. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

That’s a better talent than ours to create MOR guys from thin air. They also have Ramírez in a Jedi mind trick to continue to be the best valued contract in baseball. Other than that not much to like about that franchise.

IBTL likes this.
  5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Abreu is 2 for his last 17 with a HR (his only extra base hit)

He has also come up in big situations a couple of times and done nothing

Tiny sample size I know, but he isn't good on defense anyway

I agree I would RATHER Diaz play over Maldanado, but truth is that isn't going to happen

If Diaz is going to play it's gonna be at the expense of Yordan (nope), Brantley or Abreu

Let Brantley play against all RHP, and in those games if Diaz isn't catching, he should play 1B over Abreu

Pretty simple, but likely way too much for johnnie

Wulaw Horn and noppeper like this.
  6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

7. the shark

the shark Member

Wasn't Brantley getting some reps at 1B?

If so they could play him at 1B, have Diaz DH when he's not catching, and Yordan in LF.

vince, InTheGroove and noppeper like this.
  8. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Apparently it didn't go well. They have said he will not play 1B.

noppeper likes this.
  9. the shark

the shark Member

Hate hearing that. Thanks for the update.

vince and noppeper like this.
  10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Yainer got robbed for AL ROY. With consistent playing time (which he has certainly earned), he wins it easily.

11. noppeper

noppeper Member

He was getting reps there in spring training, but I have no idea what came of that. My guess is that they determined he was not ready for prime time.

Either Brantley or Yainer would probably be a better choice than what we've gotten from that position, regardless of their inexperience there. Also,Yainer in 1st makes it so we don't lose DH if PH for Maldy and he moves to catcher.

12. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

There are 8 hitting positions on the field. The Astros have a ROOKIE who is the best person at one of those. Dusty chooses not to play him. Idiots like those above on this page defend him.

That - combined with a CF who is better than Julio Rodriguez, yet is treated as a backup - is the story of the season. I’d you don’t see that, you are just not a serious person.

13. cmlmel77

This. This is not a serious person.

Maldonado was the catcher for a championship - that does not mean he led our staff to a championship.

And 2022 is not 2023. The past is not the present.

again, not serious.

everyday eddie and panamamyers like this.
  14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

3 of those outs were bullets. 1 would have been a MMP Hr. He doesn’t look like the guy who was terrible earlier in the season to me.

15. noppeper

noppeper Member

Ok.

16. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Duly noted

Was just saying that his actual numbers since the return are shitty, like the numbers from before the IL stint

I would love to see him finish strong

Gonna be a shame if we miss the playoffs by one game, and he struggled his way to the end with Diaz on the bench though

17. cmlmel77

Well, hard to disagree. I stand corrected.

Tomstro likes this.
  18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

He’s 0 for his last 12 with an average exit velo of 92 mph. That’s just bad luck. His ops plus is like 100 since coming off injury, with that bad stretch mixed in there on a small sample size. His BB rate is 12% and his K rate is 10% and his iso is 206. If he keeps that all up he will have a very good finish to the year unless he gets incredibly unlucky.

19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

He’s 0 for his last 12 with an average exit velo of 92 mph. That’s just bad luck. His ops plus is like 100 since coming off injury, with that bad stretch mixed in there on a small sample size. His BB rate is 12% and his K rate is 10% and his iso is 206. If he keeps that all up he will have a very good finish to the year unless he gets incredibly unlucky.
    I want Diaz to play every day and play in the field. If it absolutely must be at the expense of Abreu instead of Maldonado so be it I guess. I just sort of think Abreu might finish well and I like the underlying numbers. I like seeing a couple Hr. I like seeing him turn on the ball. He wasn’t doing any of that earlier in the year. It makes logical sense he was dealing with an injury and not telling anyone.

20. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Abreu has been awful for the vast majority of this season. He had a good 3-4 week run.

He has not helped us at all in the other 17 or so weeks of the season. He has hurt us. So far, signing him was/is a complete failure.

everyday eddie and InTheGroove like this.