1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kick the tires on Trey Lance?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by liveguy, Apr 19, 2023.

1. Buck Turgidson

I'd just like to say that I'm glad we have a 3rd string QB on the Cowboys that some people can focus on in addition to the 3rd string QB on the Titans.

Are there any other 3rd stringers we need to be concerned with? Especially on teams that the Houston fanbase basically hates? NE? Indy? Jax?

Hemingway, RunninRaven and MadMax like this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I don't get it at all. Supposedly Lance's agent was involved, and the Niners at least kinda tried to do something that would help him (e.g. not being 3rd string).

Guy was a real pro and maintained a good attitude for SF, said all the right things, apparently worked very hard, etc.
    Just tough luck and too little prep before the NFL, plus maybe not quite an NFL body (durability wise).

But wow at the epic draft fail of that pick by the Niners. If Purdy keeps playing well, you could kind of say that partially makes up for it, but not all those first round picks. Yikes.

ROCKSS, HillBoy, cmoak1982 and 3 others like this.
  3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

who / what insinuated that I wanted Lance to succeed? Seems like you are reading into things, must be some sort of bias on your part.

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You brought up a rookie-that you have a bias towards, their situations are nothing alike

5. raining threes

I'm willing to see what he's got this year and if he's not the guy then draft a QB IN 2024. If Lance sucks you will have a high pick in the 2024 draft. Although it's telling that Ryans, Slowik wanted nothing to do with Lance and they know him better than anybody.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL. Keep kicking the can down the road. Texans don't get Williams or Maye, maybe they can suck again in 2024 so they can get whomever in the 2025 draft!

There is a reason the Texans didn't look at Lance. You had 2 people on the 49ers staff who saw nothing in him to even consider trading for him.

7. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Cowboys fan here. I like this trade for us but I also think that Stroud is certainly going to be a good player so it would’ve been pointless for Houston.

Ultimately, we gave up a pick that will fall in the 110 range. The contract situation with Dak REQUIRES an extension this year. Otherwise he counts 60 million against the Year and not only does. He have a no trade clause, but he can’t be franchised. I’m looking at a scenario where we extend them for two additional years with may be a avoidable year after that, that will allow us to move money around over those seasons. We just won’t be able to keep our window open next year with him costing that much.

So I like the scenario where we keep Lance for 3 years(5th year will be pricey) but then maybe move on from Dak and onto Lance in what would be 26-27. If Dallas thinks he is serviceable, they may be able to have him on a relatively decent contract while they rebuild or retool.

8. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I respectfully hope it all goes crashing down because I hate the cowboys

9. Buck Turgidson

I'm looking forward to the sh!tshow.

red5rocket likes this.
  10. conquistador#11

Envisioning Calhoun saying, "Back in 2017, we almost drafted the qb that plays for the Chiefs. I can't recall his name."

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I much rather have stroud than Lance. Also taking Lance would mean you let stroud fall to either the colts or titans and that would be extremely dumb too

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Not if he busts like all the other Ohio St busts

raining threes likes this.
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Lol.

14. B-Bob

Thanks for that perspective. (I'm an old Oilers fan from way back who's never quite cottoned to the Texans and now follow the Niners b/c I live near them.)

I think it's a good trade for Dallas actually, but I'm wondering how y'all feel about the 3rd string guy you cut. (The guy who just had an incredible last pre-season game and arguably has better accuracy and arsenal, right now, than Lance.)

cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Apparently Jerry 1) did not talk to Dak or the HC about the trade and 2) Will Grier was really loved in the lockerroom and his exit has pissed off a lot of people.

Typical Jerry, lol.

B-Bob likes this.
  16. B-Bob

Yeah, Grier, thank you. I found Dak's comments on Grier pretty interesting; seemed like he really like the guy, a lot, and was going to make his professional best effort to welcome Trey, with an unspoken "but..."

Tough spot for Trey Lance, again. Hope he can make something of it at some point (though maybe not with them 'Boys, haha).