1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Preseason Wk 2] Dolphins at Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 19, 2023.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. conquistador#11

$60 shirt
    Historical content priceless.

cbass, B-Bob, charlieaustin and 8 others like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

DeMeco Ryans on CJ Stroud. “Overall, just with the operation of the offense about CJ was more efficient. He felt more comfortable. Everyone around him played better, which allowed him to play better. Proud of the progress that CJ took this week.”

DeMeco Ryans said Tank Dell felt a little tightness pregame. They thought it was best to sit him. But Ryans says Dell will be fine.

DeMeco Ryans on QB1: "You'll see the starter when we get to Baltimore."

CJ Stroud says it all about “making everyone better ..and I'm taking steps every week so I'm really excited for the future man and actually appreciate the mistakes and the lessons learned.”

CJ Stroud says he think he’s can be a really good player in this league but adds he has to become consistent. “I’ve show flashes of that, but it doesn't matter if you don’t do things consistently. Everybody can do it one time.”

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. Buck Turgidson

Hah, I still have that OG shirt in a box somewhere, except mine is grey

ROCKSS, B-Bob and conquistador#11 like this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...e/houston-texans-roster-analysis-18305296.php

Stock up

LB Denzel Perryman
    […]

DE Jacob Martin

Martin began training camp as a third string defensive end.

By Week 2 of the preseason, he was starting over the likes of Jerry Hughes and Jonathan Greenard. Martin was one of the standouts at joint practices, getting pressure on the Dolphins quarterbacks. He went from “probably not making this team” to near lock.

He kind of came out of no where too. The 6-2, 242-pound defensive end signed with the Texans in May after spending a season with the Denver Broncos, where he played in five games and had six tackles in limited playing time. Before that, he spent three seasons with the Texans.

Martin didn’t record a stat in 18 snaps. But he’s making progress in practice.

WR/KR Steven Sims

It’s going to be difficult for Sims to make this team considering the Texans already have six wide receivers who appear to be locks already. Nico Collins, Robert Woods, Noah Brown, Tank Dell, John Metchie and Xavier Hutchinson will make this team.

But Sims is making a case for himself, too. Or at least someone they can try to stash on the practice squad. The speedy wide receiver has a tendency to drop the easy ones, but he’s also been known to make a few plays.

Against the Dolphins he had a catch for 12 yards and a 43-yard kick return. What could help him is his kick return ability. No one else has shown they can be a lock at kick return.

Meanwhile, Sims shown he can be dangerous in the open field. He’s 5-foot-9, 184 pounds, and he made many defenders miss on his lone kick return.

Again, it’ll be hard to find a spot on the roster for him though, especially if the Texans keep six receivers and three quarterbacks.

Stock down

DE Chase Winovich

Winovich did not dress and was not spotted at the game against the Dolphins. He began training camp on the active PUP list and returned for their first preseason game where he had a sack.

But other than that, he has not done much. And other defensive ends are emerging. That he didn’t play, even though he was otherwise healthy isn’t a good sign for his long term prognosis with the team.

The Texans are deep at defensive ends this year after drafting two in the first four rounds of the 2023 NFL and signing others. Martin’s emergence has even made things more difficult.

CB Shaquill Griffin

Griffin, who signed in May, played well in OTAs. But against the Dolphins, he allowed a touchdown in coverage and whiffed on a tackle on Salvon Ahmed’s 65-yard run in the second quarter. Had Griffin made the play, he could have kept the run to a four-yard gain.

But Ahmed kept running.

The touchdown pass he allowed happened when Griffin was too late to get out into the flat. He kept his eyes on Julian Hill for two long, instead of passing him off to the safety. That allowed Ahmed to run in the flat free without being noticed on his way to the end zone.

Griffin may make this team. But he is not a lock. Giving up a touchdown didn’t help his cause.

The front seven

The Texans were often fooled by the Dolphin us of motions and misdirections.

Mike McDaniels’ offense often caught the Texans out of position, and as a result they gashed them for 205 yards rushing. Ahmed led all rushers with 99 yards on 12 carries, including the 65-yard run, where he broke at least two tackles. He also had a touchdown.

The Texans were bullied at the line of scrimmage at times and there were too many open lanes for the Dolphins to run through.

That’s on the front seven to figure out. Defensive coordinator Matt Burke was calling the plays during the preseason game, but Ryans took credit for it.

“It all starts with me,” Ryans said. “When you put a performance out there like that, it all starts with me, and it wasn't good enough. That's me internally. I wasn't good enough today for our team, so we’ll go back to the drawing board and look for myself to improve and get better to make sure I lead this team, that we put out a much better outing, especially in front of our home crowd. It's not representative of what I want for the Texans, and we'll get it corrected.”

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. conquistador#11

You don't wear it? I have the big head team picture one. The neckline was all yellow so I cut it off.

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Did Stroud finally earn it?

13. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Not even close. Scored 3 points in the 1st half despite being given the ball on Miami's 7 yard line to start the game. Texans ran a bunch of short routes and got him out of the pocket to manage his weaknesses. He might "earn it" be being less bad than Davis Mills, but the early performance simply has not yielded success (points).

Writers working overtime to puff him up after last week's disaster. Probably directed to do that by the Texans' front office, tbh.

raining threes likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Went to Academy with my dad and little brother first thing in the morning when they opened after both rings, it was a zoo. I had shirts that I wore the hell out of and are now dead and buried, and shirts that have never been worn. Hats too.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Pretty much.

raining threes, ROCKSS and Fulgore like this.
  16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Mills is his competition so has he earned it? The answer is clearly yes.

Fulgore likes this.
  17. conquistador#11

Starters should play the same amount in the next game

18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

No. Demeco said, we'll see who trotts out before the Ravens game but we know who it is.

19. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I was glad CJ played the first half, he is showing progress which is all I want to see, its a marathon not a sprint. The D looked bad, albeit this is preseason, I expected more. Will Anderson is a beast, I see a JJ Watt 2.0.............its hard to gauge the team when its preseason, a vanilla offense and the starters are not healthy so we really won't see the final product until week one........cautiously optimistic. The Dolphins are a playoff caliber team as well as the Ravens so it will be a good test on week one, I only hope the secondary is up to the challenge because it could be a long day or it could signal how good the Texans have become, but if we see progress each week I will be happy

I had predicted 8 wins, but I may need to throttle my expectations back, but it was fun to see the Texans progress, too bad they canceled with the Saints this week as these practices are so valuable.

ROXRAN and raining threes like this.