1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem is WAY better than you think

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Caesar, Jul 31, 2023.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

Picking Hakeem to be his Center
    https://youtube.com/shorts/txuIqQjBs3c?feature=share

All time, who would MJ take not counting himself

Damn. I wanted to close out this post with Michael bumping into Hakeem in the garage of the arena, i think just as Mike made his surprise arrival to the NBA 75th in Cleveland and Hakeem had just gotten there too and they were so excited to see each other and hugged. You can tell the admiration and ultimate respect they have for each other. It was a very warm greeting. Can someone please help find that clip?

napalm06 likes this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Couldn't find it, but I did find this. (First 40 seconds). And there's definitely more like this. High praise from the GOAT.

Caesar likes this.
  3. Caesar

Caesar Member

#83 Caesar, Aug 13, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2023
    Drift Monkey likes this.
  4. Caesar

Caesar Member

I take issue with ranking bigs. The way the sport is played heavily favors guards and f's, but it doesn't mean there aren't bigs who didn't have to rely on star guards and F's. The traditional bigs required guards to really be effective. Just standing there in position at the mercy of another player to get them the ball exactly where they need it. Of all the C's, only Hakeem, Robinson, Jokic and Embiid on an all time level don't necessarily require others to set them up. Now, Hakeem played like that as that was the style of play, but he showed he could create for himself more so than Kareem or Shaq or Wilt or Russell, same with Admiral. These guys could fit in today more so than Kareem, or Shaq or Wilt having to post up and not liking to set picks or roll to the basket or pick and pop. Those traditional bigs are fit into a box that relies too heavily on play style of era and being set up to succeed with star perimeter players.

At the big forward sports, it's similar. I've always seen Duncan as a traditional Center in a 2x Center lineup be it with Robinson, or Nesterovich or Nazr, just like our own twin towers. Ralph wasn't a PF. We ran a two center lineup. Duncan was a Center, idc what Pop sold the world b/c as a Center he wouldn't have claim on goat of his position and the NBA just forced players to fit into traditional positions. Even so, counting Duncan as C, he showed in his youth he was actually quite mobile and could create for himself, to a smaller extent than the guys above.
    So when you look at PF spot. Karl needed the 2 man game with his star guard and his post ups, and he made a killing in transition as one of the best floor running PF's ever. Chuck on the other hand despite being the reason for back to the basket rule change, could absolutely create for himself and others. KG could. Dirk could. AD can. Kemp could. Bosh could. The Malones, the McHales, the 60s and 70s greats and all the real "Power" forward blue collar guys, all of them relied on others in the team.

I believe not having to rely on another should give major points over someone who did rely. Hell, on an all time level, i think even Bill Walton relied less on others than Kareem, Shaq and Wilt.

When you look at it that way, it's no wonder Kareem only won with goats, Oscar and Magic and Worthy. Without them, Bill Walton cooked him in his prime and swept him. Kareem would be a 1 hit wonder with a goat in Oscar next to him and tons of accolades and MVPs without Magic. On an unrelated note-LeBron would be very, very similar if he didn't cheat the competitive world of sports and start the team up culture. Stat totals, mvps, and maybe 1 ring if that.
    It's no wonder Shaq only succeeded with some of the greatest star guards of all time. 3 of them. It's no wonder Wilt was the loser until he got a star guards in Greer and then later in Jerry West. It's no wonder game changing bigs who don't really contribute much to offense outside of moving the ball and rebounding and great defense and can dominate when surrounded by star guards/f's(Russell, McHale,Draymond and even Rodman who couldn't win next to a prime MVP David Robinson).

Drift Monkey likes this.
  5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Neither can you fully measure and appreciate the effect Hakeem had on defense.

6. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

That video sounds like posts and arguments I made on different platforms many years ago lol. It was a tougher sell then because people wouldn't analyze competition, rules or team support, hell, or even defense for that matter, and just look at the offense and rings back then.

When I was a casual fan I thought other players were better, but because I enjoyed studying the game, after taking a microscope to the top 10, I was pleasantly surprised to discover Hakeem actually was better than the other names and the GOAT center. No hyperbole but actual statistical and logical arguments. Now more people are fully analyzing players and seeing it, great to see.

7. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Hakeem was and is astounding to watch on defense and his offensive post game is to marvel at.

cml750 and B-Bob like this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

mulletman likes this.
  10. Bruce

Bruce Member

This thread seemed like the most appropriate spot for this. ^

Made a mix of Hakeem highlights 'cause I got tired of seeing the same clips over and over (they're amazing! I love them! it's just time for something "new").

#90 Bruce, Jan 31, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
    cml750 and kubli9 like this.
  11. Salvy

Salvy Member

With the emergence of Sengun I wonder if MJ has changed his mind...

Caesar likes this.