1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I could see a match sending JP France to Baltimore for one of their great prospects and then flipping him to Mets but I hate the idea of helping Baltimore get rotation help and would rather not trade France unless thats the only option.

2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

All SP are hit and miss in the playoffs. It just is what it is. Even Framber has had some stinkers.

Just like 2017 JV would give this team a huge morale boost and add the pitching needed for the next 55 games.

Then the team just goes to work and hope the playoffs go well.

But I have confidence that JV can get it done enough to get to the bullpen throughout the playoffs

raining threes likes this.
  3. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Jose Abreu, take a seat over there. LOL

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Verlander, McNeil, Raley, and $35M would be a fair trade for Brown, Gilbert, and Montero. I would probably even do that deal without making them take back Montero.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  5. CinematicFusion

Chas is a CF who can hit with 3.5 years of team control.
    .285 with a .372obp, 13 HRs in 66 games, playoff experience and success.

He might be the trade chip that makes a three team deal happen.
    I don’t want to lose him… he didn’t play last night, does that mean anything? Not sure

everyday eddie and rockbox like this.
  6. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

MLB Radio says they're hearing Twins are making Sonny Gray and Kenta Maeda available FWIW....

everyday eddie likes this.
  7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

IMO Chas has raised himself into the Untouchable status.

The only way Chas gets moved is in a Cease/Robert type of deal that brings back a perennial all star with control that also helps the team this year.

And that would be tough to do by taking Chas away from the current team.

8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

30th best org prospect for Canha?
    how does trading our best starter to date make our rotation better? The very point of trading for JV is to bolster and deepen the rotation, not to make a marginal improvement.

Frankly this goes for any significant contributor to major league roster.

lnchan likes this.
  9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

No, I'm not giving up a guy who has shown elite stuff with all that control for Verlander in his 40's who could fall apart any time. I'm not trading any core pieces if we are going all in for the next 2 years.

10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Meyers should bring back a top 100 prospect the Mets like. The hope is that a team who likes Meyers also has a prospect the Mets like.

11. the shark

the shark Member

Again they're trying to add to the rotation and getting rid of JP (who's also been they're most consistent SP) to get JV makes no sense.

PlatoJoe, lnchan and rockbox like this.
  12. rockbox

I rather not do trade for Verlander if it means giving up JP, Chas, or Brown. if I'm giving one of those guys, Cease AND Robert better be involved.

13. rockbox

Sonny Gray would be a nice rental if we can get him for one of our surplus outfielders or prospect not named Gilbert.

Mr.Pringles and raining threes like this.
  14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

how does trading our best starter to date make our rotation better? The very point of trading for JV is to bolster and deepen the rotation, not to make a marginal improvement.

Frankly this goes for any significant contributor to major league roster.[/QUOTE]

despite France's great season, his secondary numbers still point to him being a #4 starter. Despite a 2.85 ERA, his FIP is 4.18, his K rate is significanly below MKB average, and he has been slightly lucky in BABIP.

It may be smart to sell high on him.

Besides, with Framber, JV, Javier, and Brown (if healthy) He will be like Garcia and Urquidy last year sitting in the bullpen in the playoffs.

I don't want to sell him but would understand it and not be upset like I would be for Chas

everyday eddie and lnchan like this.
  15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I wish they had traded Julks a month ago when he was looking like a slightly above average LF with 5+ years of control.

raining threes and panamamyers like this.
  16. rockbox

But you don't trade him for someone that the wheels can fall off at any second and has a 35 million dollar option at age 42.

whiskeyred likes this.
  17. CinematicFusion

done deal then, trade Myers for a top 100 prospect and let’s get Verlander.

18. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I do not want to trade Brown, but this is honestly an insane statement. Sure, it makes sense if you make a dollars per production argument, but there's not a person on the planet who would sent Hunter Brown out there tomorrow in a must win game over Justin freakin Verlander.

Hunter has had some great games and his future is incredibly bright, but (like any rookie besides JP France apparently) he is still very inconsistent and not someone you should feel comfortable counting on during the home stretch.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you do that, you still need to find a starting pitcher. Replacing Brown with Verlander is basically a lateral move....only one that will REALLY hurt your team in the future for MAYBE a tiny improvement during the regular season this year.

20. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

yeah our bats choked when he pitched for some reason