1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. Kphorns14

Kphorns14 Member

Yeah, Verlander or not, we definitely need a starter.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Michael Brantley exists!

[​IMG]

3. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Maybe teams he's talked to are asking for a lot from them thinking he'll be desperate so perhaps he's just saying this.

Didn't say him specifically (has in the past) but maybe he'll tell teams we have Urquidy coming back and we can potentially call up Arrighetti so we're not in desperate need of a starter. If we can acquire one for a fair offer then sure but we won't over pay.

Same for a left handed bat. Whether he believes Brantley will be back or not, perhaps he's using him to make it seem like they're not desperate for a lefty.

Obviously I wouldn't want to overpay for a starter or a lefty bat but but also if he is bluffing, I hope it doesn't back fire and he ends up with nothing.

4. Houston_Rockets

I think because we used to have peak Verlander and Cole combo at the top of our rotation, people got used to unhitable starting pitching, and they forget that you 110% can win with a rotation with Framber, Javier Urquidy, Brown/JP, if you have a bulpen with Neris, Grav, Pressly and Hader (for example).

So Dana, go out there and get the man that got away, and make every single game we play a " you better be winning when our bullpen comes in".

Even if you believe that you need a Rodriguez or Lorenzen, because javier hasnt figured it out this year, or Urquidy coming from injury, or JP/Brown being rookies at this level of playoff performances, it would be better just going for that type of deal plus a not as costly as Hader BP arm, then giving any top #3 prospects of ours for Verlander, even if they eat up salary and Monteros terrible contract, IMO.

IBTL likes this.
  5. Major

Major Member

These media interviews all seem meaningless to me. The idea that the Astros have no interest in a starter is ridiculously laughable. And the above sounds exactly like Click last year constantly saying a big move was coming and that Mancini/Vazquez were just the start and then nothing else got done. A deal is either done or not. Being "close" just seems silly and is another word for "we haven't come to an agreement" - it just means one side still has to change what they are willing to do.

BigMaloe, The Beard and Nook like this.
  6. Major

Major Member

No one's going to believe that. Especially when Brown himself said a few weeks ago that they are in the market for a starter. If you don't want people to think you're desperate, don't go on the radio and announce to the world the things that you're looking for. Teams can see the Astros' roster and what they do or don't need. They don't need to rely on Brown saying it and they certainly aren't going to believe anything he says on the radio.

joshuaao, Nook and Tuckmose like this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think one of the best things they could do would be to trade Maldy so that Dusty would be forced to play Diaz....but knowing Dusty, he'd probably just pencil in Kessinger or someone else that has never played C before in their life.

Can we trade Dusty and just let Altuve manage the team?

8. CrushCity

CrushCity Member

Hopefully he’s not Jerry Jones who just thinks out loud and announces his plans to the world daily as he limits his ability to gm.

9. Nook

Nook Member

There are no guarantees they get a starting pitcher. They will make at least one more move for a reliever, but starting pitching is very expensive.

They have more than one way to improve and right now it appears the cost of starting pitching is crazy. So they will add to the pen and in the playoffs have their starters go less innings and rely on their pen depth.

When it’s close to the deadline, and teams start making deals - they will see which teams come down off their asking prices and try to make a deal if possible.

The Tigers want multiple players that are near big league ready or big league ready for pitchers that are pure rentals.

The Mets are telling the Astros they don’t have to deal Verlander like they did Scherzer.

The Cubs do what they always do - give mixed messages and ask for way too much until 10 minutes before the deadline.

10. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. CrushCity

CrushCity Member

Not in the market for a starting pitcher, huh Dana? Sounds like nick Saban in Miami when he said he was 100 % for sure NOT not leaving the dolphins to coach the Alabama Crimson tide.

#3571 CrushCity, Jul 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2023
    Nook likes this.
  12. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I think cost is an issue. The Dodgers are linked to the Cardinals for Montgomery. Last night they were linked to Verlander.

13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Rushed right into it huh. Lol.

14. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

15. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Ok interesting . That means the Astros likely have deals on the table involving them both. Anyone noteworthy in the Minors sitting out a game today ?

#3575 CisBuds4U, Jul 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2023
  16. jayfree

jayfree Member

The lineup suggests McCormick in left and Dubon in center. Odd

17. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

18. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I just don't get the playoff hate for Verlander

I mean I guess I should because fans typically only remember the bad, and he had a couple of bad starts last year in the playoffs. But, he was thoroughly worn out by the time the playoffs started, and still had a 5 inning 1 run performance in the World Series

2017 he had a strong start vs Boston in the DS
    Then in the ALCS dude had a complete game with 1 run vs the skankees, then 7 shutout innings against them
    His playoff ERA was 2.21

in 2018 vs the Sox he had a great game 1, then in game 5 he was rolling with 1 run into the 6th before giving up the HR to Devers
    Cole, Uncle Charlie and Osuna were the ones who got ripped in that series

I would be just fine with a not worn down Verlander starting playoff games for us

19. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

I thought the MRI didn’t show anything? That’s tommy John coming

CrushCity likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's that the team hasn't been able to rely on him in the playoffs, sure he's had some good starts, but it's flipping a coin as to which Verlander you are going to get...and that was when he was younger.