1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Rodriguez is actually worse than a rental because of his opt out which is what makes him a rental. If he has an injury, and he has a long line of them, he doesn't opt out and you are on the hook for his salary

I think as a player he would fit in great here, would surprise me a bit if Crane would sign off on him though unless the contract was reworked

Snake Diggit likes this.
  2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

1.94 ERA the past month, and because he started the year late he won't be totally worn down by the playoffs like last year

I get the long term worries

But I want to win it all again this year. No one has won back to back titles in 23 years. We have been by far the most dominant team in baseball over the past 8 years, but I want to be that team that goes back to back!

joshuaao and Madmanmetz like this.
  3. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Cubs wont deal Bellinger.

I guess Verdugo is the top LH bat

jayfree likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's just not someone I trust in the playoffs, sure he will put together a decent stretch in the regular season, and I'm not saying he wouldn't help the Astros win the division, but when the team needs him the most is when he typically disappears....and that was when he was younger and better.

If there's no other deal out there for someone better than a 40 year old Verlander, sure, go for it. I'm just hoping for better right now.

5. jayfree

jayfree Member

Best news I've heard in awhile. I knew he wasn't coming here anyhow, but just the thought of it being open...

chrish23 likes this.
  6. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Brown is on MLB Network Radio:

Not in the market for a starter, could change come closer to the deadline.

Priority is additional bullpen arms.

Might look at a bat but Brantley is hitting well. Balls are leaving the park. No pain like he had before.

Graveman could be a set up man. He can be put anywhere.

BigMaloe, joshuaao, Radricky and 4 others like this.
  7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

before being dealt to the Astros!

jayfree likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think that means they are out on Verlander. If they were going to do it, they'd do it before his start this afternoon right?

IBTL likes this.
  9. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I hope to ****ing Christ that's a smokescreen from Brown. NOT IN THE MARKET FOR A STARTER?!?!?!??! WHAT IN THE F*U*C*K?!

CrushCity likes this.
  10. jayfree

jayfree Member

Brown trying to trick the Mets saying, "We don't need a starter... but if you need to get rid of JV we'll gladly check into it at our price"

11. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Some teams are playing chess. Other teams are playing checkers. We appear to be playing Chutes N Ladders. (Although I don’t really want Verlander due to age, price tag, and injury fears).

12. chrish23

chrish23 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Couldn't agree more. No room in our winning clubhouse for a world series lifetime BA of .121, including a single WS strikeout record of 17K's, who subsequently has a media tantrum he was robbed of a title.

That dude should never be allowed inside the borders of Texas, let alone the hallowed grounds of Minute Maid Park.

houstonstime and jayfree like this.
  13. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

One last thing Brown stated at the end of the interview was he is very optimistic that they have at least one more deal that will get done. He basically said all the stuff that @Nook has been saying. They have offers out and we will see closer to the deadline what happens.

After Dana got off, the host said that he believes Dana is stating that the cost for a starter is still high and he is leveraging going for a bullpen arm as his backup.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Okay Dana… you keep telling the media that… maybe some team in baseball will believe you… I got a good chuckle out of the Michael Brantley part.

I’m sure they will revisit Verlander and Rodriguez closer to the deadline- but right now they need at least another high leverage reliever and that is the focus.

BigMaloe, joshuaao, The Beard and 6 others like this.
  15. Frank_Duhon

Frank_Duhon Member

Delete

Missed the real name on the tweet. Sorry.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

^fake account

17. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

Fake account

18. Frank_Duhon

Frank_Duhon Member

Yep.. just caught that and deleted post. Sorry

travfrancis likes this.
  19. Major

Major Member

I agree they aren't likely to trade Pena, but the Pena "upside" is useful in future years - that's what also gives him so much potential trade value. This year, he's been basically identical to Dubon as a player. Pena was better in April and July. Dubon was better in May and June. Neither is setting the world on fire. Pena is the same player offensively as he was last year except for May and obviously the postseason run, so there's no real profession so far. So if the Astros are better or worse this year with Pena vs Dubon depends on whether they think the playoff run is repeatable or was a random hot streak.

Nook likes this.
  20. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

All i know is i hope this team adds at least another starter. My son and i will be in NYC for the 4 game series. We are sitting behind the Astros dugout. I hope we go 3-1

Shark44 and whiskeyred like this.